SPA3102 or something else??

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by SteveC, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. SteveC

    SteveC Guest

    Hi Folks,
    I'm looking at getting the SPA3102 ATA.
    Before purchasing, wondered whether there was anything else I should
    consider, or is it a one horse race?

    I want to use the dialplans to route calls based on their destination
    via different providers.
    Also want to be able to call in through it (say from my mobile when
    not at home) and have it route the call back out to an international
    destination.

    I understand it can do both of the above with configuration (the
    latter requires further config but is actually possible??)

    However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want to have more
    than one SIP INCOMING number.
    And this I see from reading, is not possible on the incoming??

    If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip numbers (and
    assuming I decide I really do want this) is there another ATA I could
    consider which has all of these features?

    Many thanks

    Steve
    SteveC, Mar 29, 2007

  2. SteveC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <SteveC> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
    > to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
    > And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
    > incoming??
    >
    > If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
    > numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
    > there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
    > features?

    The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
    outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
    not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
    different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 29, 2007

  3. SteveC

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:13:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><SteveC> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
    >> to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
    >> And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
    >> incoming??
    >>
    >> If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
    >> numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
    >> there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
    >> features?

    >The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
    >outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
    >not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
    >different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.
    >
    >Ivor

    As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
    there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
    implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.
    With the advent of Voxalot, the functionality of ATAs does not have to
    be so great. Take a look at voxalot.com and see what you can achieve
    with that. I have an SPA-3000, similar to the SPA-3102.
    I use Voxalot and can thus have as many outgoing and incoming
    providers as I like. What you can't do is have them terminating on
    different handsets. If you want that you will have to go for the
    Fritzbox which has a number of phone outputs (number depends on
    model).
    You also need to look at your current set up. Do you need a router or
    have you already got one. If the former then you might choose the
    Fritzbox because it has LAN outputs ( the number depends on the model
    you choose). The SPA-3102 can be used as a single LAN output router,
    if you wish, or, alternatively, just connect it to the output of your
    current router.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 29, 2007
  4. SteveC

    Paul Hayes Guest

    SteveC wrote:
    > Hi Folks,

    [snip]

    > However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want to have more
    > than one SIP INCOMING number.
    > And this I see from reading, is not possible on the incoming??
    >
    > If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip numbers (and
    > assuming I decide I really do want this) is there another ATA I could
    > consider which has all of these features?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Do you mean you want multiple incoming accounts from different SIP
    providers or just more than one phone number people can dial? Pretty
    much any SIP provider will sell you as many phone numbers tied to a
    single SIP account as you want. The latter will work fine with the
    SPA3102 because you only have one SIP account to bother with for
    incoming and all the numbers are routed to it by the provider.

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul Hayes, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Recently, Brian A popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    |On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:13:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    |<> wrote:
    |
    |><SteveC> wrote in message
    |>
    |>[snip]
    |>
    |>> However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
    |>> to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
    |>> And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
    |>> incoming??
    |>>
    |>> If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
    |>> numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
    |>> there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
    |>> features?
    |>
    |>The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
    |>outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
    |>not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
    |>different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.
    |>
    |>Ivor
    |As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
    |there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
    |implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.

    Not hard at all, done it in a few very easy steps. If someone is
    interested I can make a sort of "howto", publish it on the 'net
    somewhere and post a link here...
    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------
    ßødincµs²°°°, Mar 31, 2007
  6. SteveC

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:35:49 GMT, ßødincµs²°°° <>
    wrote:

    >Recently, Brian A popped out over the fence
    >around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    >|On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:13:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >|<> wrote:
    >|
    >|><SteveC> wrote in message
    >|>
    >|>[snip]

    >|>The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
    >|>outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
    >|>not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
    >|>different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.
    >|>
    >|>Ivor
    >|As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
    >|there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
    >|implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.
    >|
    >Not hard at all, done it in a few very easy steps. If someone is
    >interested I can make a sort of "howto", publish it on the 'net
    >somewhere and post a link here...

    If you want to email me the article I'll post it on my 'very
    temporary' site and when I get the proper site up and running I'll
    post it there. One of the main purposes of this new site will be to
    house a knowledge base like this - but it will be much more.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 31, 2007
  7. SteveC

    SteveC Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:17:28 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:13:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >><SteveC> wrote in message
    >>
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>> However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
    >>> to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
    >>> And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
    >>> incoming??
    >>>
    >>> If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
    >>> numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
    >>> there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
    >>> features?

    >>The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
    >>outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
    >>not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
    >>different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.
    >>
    >>Ivor

    >As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
    >there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
    >implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.
    >With the advent of Voxalot, the functionality of ATAs does not have to
    >be so great. Take a look at voxalot.com and see what you can achieve
    >with that. I have an SPA-3000, similar to the SPA-3102.
    >I use Voxalot and can thus have as many outgoing and incoming
    >providers as I like. What you can't do is have them terminating on
    >different handsets. If you want that you will have to go for the
    >Fritzbox which has a number of phone outputs (number depends on
    >model).
    >You also need to look at your current set up. Do you need a router or
    >have you already got one.

    I've got a Thomson Speedtouch 780 router.
    The Speedtouch VoIP functions are OK but has it's limitations.

    So, I'm new to VoIP and wanted to buy something more "fit for purpose"
    now I've had a play with it.

    I was planning on having two geographic VOIP numbers so people can
    dial in using these (one for business, one for friend/family).
    Would use the VOIP for outgoing, and setup call plans based on
    destination.
    Same handset is probably OK for now.
    Would then use FXO for backup if Internet connection fails.
    Need the BT line anyway for the ADSL.

    If I used Sipgate with two geographic numbers, it seems they require
    you to have two separate SIP accounts (each with unique geogrpahic
    number).. so presumably this wouldn't work with the SPA3102, as you
    can only have one SIP account for incoming?? is this right, or have i
    got it wrong?
    Sorry for the "thickness" here..
    I've not looked much at the other providers like voip.co.uk etc.. but
    do they allow you to have multiple geographic numbers bound to a
    single SIP account, in whch case this would probably solve the
    problem?

    Steve
    SteveC, Mar 31, 2007
  8. SteveC

    Jono Guest

    SteveC formulated on Saturday :

    > I was planning on having two geographic VOIP numbers so people can
    > dial in using these (one for business, one for friend/family).
    > Would use the VOIP for outgoing, and setup call plans based on
    > destination.
    > Same handset is probably OK for now.
    > Would then use FXO for backup if Internet connection fails.

    Just bear in mind, the PSTN fallback feature of the Linksys is for
    power failure only. It won't fallback /automatically/ if the internet
    connection fails

    > Need the BT line anyway for the ADSL.
    >
    > If I used Sipgate with two geographic numbers, it seems they require
    > you to have two separate SIP accounts (each with unique geogrpahic
    > number).. so presumably this wouldn't work with the SPA3102, as you
    > can only have one SIP account for incoming?? is this right, or have i
    > got it wrong?

    Spot on.

    > Sorry for the "thickness" here..

    We've all been there. No apologies necessary.

    > I've not looked much at the other providers like voip.co.uk etc.. but
    > do they allow you to have multiple geographic numbers bound to a
    > single SIP account?

    They do, however, there is a nominal charge for the second number & you
    have to credit the account for the first.

    Voip.co.uk do have telephone support, unlike Sipgate.

    That said, I've had as many technical issues (1) with each provider
    over the last 12 months.
    Jono, Mar 31, 2007