SPA3102 Not Reverting To POTS When Router Dies?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by (PeteCresswell), Feb 12, 2011.

  1. In general, I'm trying to set up something where, whatever dies,
    the phones revert to POTS.

    So far, it's looking pretty good.

    - I've got 911 (USA emergency number) forced to POTS no matter
    what

    - If I power off the SPA3102, all calls go to POTS

    - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
    all calls go to POTS.

    So far so good.....

    But if I yank the power plug on the router (simulating a power
    failure), the SPA3102 does not seem to revert to POTS. Instead
    it seems to be looking for the SIP, not finding it, and stopping
    there.

    Is it me? Or is that just the way it is?

    Could there be some sort of dial plan syntax that says "If you
    can't find the provider, Send the number to 'PSTN Line'"?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 12, 2011

  2. In article <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> writes:
    > In general, I'm trying to set up something where, whatever dies,
    > the phones revert to POTS.
    >
    > So far, it's looking pretty good.
    >
    > - I've got 911 (USA emergency number) forced to POTS no matter
    > what
    >
    > - If I power off the SPA3102, all calls go to POTS

    That's simply a a relay dropping out and connecting the two ports
    directly to each other.

    > - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
    > all calls go to POTS.

    Really?
    I would expect POTS calls to work, and VoIP calls to fail.
    What's your dialplan?

    > So far so good.....
    >
    > But if I yank the power plug on the router (simulating a power
    > failure), the SPA3102 does not seem to revert to POTS. Instead
    > it seems to be looking for the SIP, not finding it, and stopping
    > there.
    >
    > Is it me? Or is that just the way it is?

    That's the way it is, AFAIK. It will give "Number Unobtainable" when
    it times out (or immediately once the registration times out, if you
    have configured it to only make calls if registered).

    BTW, that's a network failure, not a power failure (SPA is still
    powered).

    > Could there be some sort of dial plan syntax that says "If you
    > can't find the provider, Send the number to 'PSTN Line'"?

    That doesn't happen for either VoIP or POTS.
    You get NU if it can't route to the one the dial plan selects,
    or NU even before dialing if both are not working.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Feb 12, 2011

  3. Per Andrew Gabriel:
    >> - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
    >> all calls go to POTS.

    >Really?
    >I would expect POTS calls to work, and VoIP calls to fail.
    >What's your dialplan?

    My dial plan - with the caveat that it's been evolving rather
    intensely over the past several hours and I have not re-tested it
    with the three failure conditions (VOIP box power, Ethernet
    cable, network):

    Mod4: - If number is only 10 digits, prefix it with "1"

    (911<:mad:gw0>|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]x.)

    (
    911<:mad:gw0> | Force "911" to POTS
    1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 | Immediate dial for normal "1 + 10
    digits" numbers
    <:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxxS0 | If number is only 10 digits, prefix
    it with "1"
    011[2-9]x. Handle overseas dialing
    )

    I guess my backup strategy, then, will be to only hook the base
    station of our six wireless phones into the SPA3102, leaving
    the house's wiring (and the single old wall phone that's plugged
    into same) directly connected to POTS.

    That way, if things go South, somebody can still pick up the wall
    phone and at least get to POTS.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 13, 2011
  4. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    > I guess my backup strategy, then, will be to only hook the base
    > station of our six wireless phones into the SPA3102, leaving
    > the house's wiring (and the single old wall phone that's plugged
    > into same) directly connected to POTS.

    Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
    might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
    put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
    cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
    turning off your router?

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Feb 14, 2011
  5. In article <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> writes:
    > Per Andrew Gabriel:
    >>> - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
    >>> all calls go to POTS.

    >>Really?
    >>I would expect POTS calls to work, and VoIP calls to fail.
    >>What's your dialplan?

    > My dial plan - with the caveat that it's been evolving rather
    > intensely over the past several hours and I have not re-tested it
    > with the three failure conditions (VOIP box power, Ethernet
    > cable, network):

    > Mod4: - If number is only 10 digits, prefix it with "1"
    >
    > (911<:mad:gw0>|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]x.)
    >
    > (
    > 911<:mad:gw0> | Force "911" to POTS

    Without the S0, it will wait for 3 seconds to see if you enter
    any more digits because it is still also matching the third rule.
    Also, without the S0, if you accidentally dialed 9111 in a panic,
    it would wait for 10 seconds for the next digit, and then give
    you number unobtainable when there wasn't one. On your POTS line,
    9111 probably works fine (certainly the equivalent does in the UK),
    and I think it should on the SPA if you put the S0 in (last digit
    will just get lost).

    The newer SPA firmware introduces an emergency number field (can't
    recall exactly what it's called), but I've seen no description of
    what it does, as the documentation all seems to be older.

    > 1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 | Immediate dial for normal "1 + 10
    > digits" numbers
    > <:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxxS0 | If number is only 10 digits, prefix
    > it with "1"
    > 011[2-9]x. Handle overseas dialing
    > )
    >
    > I guess my backup strategy, then, will be to only hook the base
    > station of our six wireless phones into the SPA3102, leaving
    > the house's wiring (and the single old wall phone that's plugged
    > into same) directly connected to POTS.
    >
    > That way, if things go South, somebody can still pick up the wall
    > phone and at least get to POTS.

    You can also use an unused prefix as an escape sequence to connect
    you to POTS.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Feb 14, 2011
  6. Per Theo Markettos:
    >Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
    >might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
    >put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
    >cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
    >turning off your router?

    You're right on the money. It's definitely a stretch.

    But if there were something I could easily do (like correcting
    some dumb mistake, or adding a little code to the dial plan) to
    cover the possibility, I would have done it.

    Aside from house-wide power failures, I've never had a router
    fail - ever..... and as soon as I get the time, I am going to
    move the SPA to the LAN closet right next to the router - and on
    the same UPS.

    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 15, 2011
  7. Per Andrew Gabriel:
    >You can also use an unused prefix as an escape sequence to connect
    >you to POTS.

    Something like:

    ***<:mad:gw0>

    ?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 15, 2011
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Per Theo Markettos:
    >>Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
    >>might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
    >>put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
    >>cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
    >>turning off your router?

    > You're right on the money. It's definitely a stretch.
    >
    > But if there were something I could easily do (like correcting
    > some dumb mistake, or adding a little code to the dial plan) to
    > cover the possibility, I would have done it.
    >
    > Aside from house-wide power failures, I've never had a router
    > fail - ever..... and as soon as I get the time, I am going to
    > move the SPA to the LAN closet right next to the router - and on
    > the same UPS.
    >
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    I have the base unit for the DECT phones on the UPS too.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 15, 2011
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:09:36 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per Theo Markettos:
    >>Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
    >>might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
    >>put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
    >>cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
    >>turning off your router?

    >You're right on the money. It's definitely a stretch.
    >
    >But if there were something I could easily do (like correcting
    >some dumb mistake, or adding a little code to the dial plan) to
    >cover the possibility, I would have done it.
    >
    >Aside from house-wide power failures, I've never had a router
    >fail -

    [snip]

    I have - an EDIMAX BR6104. The first one I had was dead on arrival
    and the replacement lasted about 15 months then just died one day.
    Steve, Feb 15, 2011