SPA3102: Intermittantly Needs Reboot?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by (PeteCresswell), Sep 8, 2012.

  1. I have all my outgoing except for "800" and "911" (free long
    distance and emergency respectively) going out to my VOIP
    provider via a LinkSys SPA3102 gateway.

    It had been working 100% a-ok until a couple of months ago.

    Then, occasionally, we would dial a long distance number and it
    would just ring forever or would return "Busy".

    Upon investigation, it turned out that the number was not busy
    and re-booting the SPA3102 by unplugging/re-plugging the power
    supply remedied the situation.

    This has happened maybe a half-dozen times since the first
    occurrence.

    My kneejerk reaction is to put a timer on the power supply and
    just turn it off for a minute and then back on every 24 hours.

    But it begs the question "Why?".

    Has anybody been here?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 8, 2012

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 13:03:36 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >I have all my outgoing except for "800" and "911" (free long
    >distance and emergency respectively) going out to my VOIP
    >provider via a LinkSys SPA3102 gateway.
    >
    >It had been working 100% a-ok until a couple of months ago.
    >
    >Then, occasionally, we would dial a long distance number and it
    >would just ring forever or would return "Busy".
    >
    >Upon investigation, it turned out that the number was not busy
    >and re-booting the SPA3102 by unplugging/re-plugging the power
    >supply remedied the situation.
    >
    >This has happened maybe a half-dozen times since the first
    >occurrence.
    >
    >My kneejerk reaction is to put a timer on the power supply and
    >just turn it off for a minute and then back on every 24 hours.
    >
    >But it begs the question "Why?".
    >
    >Has anybody been here?

    Could be a DNS issue. Try puting in the IP address of the SIP proxy
    instead of the domain name.

    Or you could turn off the DHCP client in the ATA and assign a static
    IP, gateway, and DNS manually. You are not tied to your ISPs DNS
    server pair, you can use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220)

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Sep 8, 2012

  3. Per Graham.:
    >Could be a DNS issue. Try puting in the IP address of the SIP proxy
    >instead of the domain name.
    >
    >Or you could turn off the DHCP client in the ATA and assign a static
    >IP, gateway, and DNS manually. You are not tied to your ISPs DNS
    >server pair, you can use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220)

    Reading between the lines, I come away thinking that:

    - The symptoms could indicate inability of the 3102 to
    connect to my VOIP provider

    - Re-booting somehow remedies that situation. Maybe something
    like "N" unsuccessful tries by the 3102 and it gives up
    until the next boot?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 8, 2012
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 14:03:22 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per Graham.:
    >>Could be a DNS issue. Try puting in the IP address of the SIP proxy
    >>instead of the domain name.
    >>
    >>Or you could turn off the DHCP client in the ATA and assign a static
    >>IP, gateway, and DNS manually. You are not tied to your ISPs DNS
    >>server pair, you can use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220)

    >Reading between the lines, I come away thinking that:
    >
    >- The symptoms could indicate inability of the 3102 to
    > connect to my VOIP provider
    >
    >- Re-booting somehow remedies that situation. Maybe something
    > like "N" unsuccessful tries by the 3102 and it gives up
    > until the next boot?

    The ability or not to register with the provider usually is only an
    issue with incoming calls.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Sep 8, 2012
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 14:03:22 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Per Graham.:
    >>Could be a DNS issue. Try puting in the IP address of the SIP proxy
    >>instead of the domain name.
    >>
    >>Or you could turn off the DHCP client in the ATA and assign a static IP,
    >>gateway, and DNS manually. You are not tied to your ISPs DNS server
    >>pair, you can use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220)

    > Reading between the lines, I come away thinking that:
    >
    > - The symptoms could indicate inability of the 3102 to
    > connect to my VOIP provider
    >
    > - Re-booting somehow remedies that situation. Maybe something
    > like "N" unsuccessful tries by the 3102 and it gives up until the next
    > boot?

    If it's still responding, and not 'frozen', reboot it via the web browser
    port: just use some program (perhaps run regularly) to access:

    http://my-spa3102.example.com/admin/reboot

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Sep 8, 2012
  6. On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 13:03 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > My kneejerk reaction is to put a timer on the power supply and
    > just turn it off for a minute and then back on every 24 hours.

    A very strange first reaction. Surely the first reaction should be to
    look at a packet dump of your local network, and see what the offending
    device is actually doing when you try to make the failing call?

    David Woodhouse, Sep 16, 2012
  7. Per David Woodhouse:
    >On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 13:03 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >> My kneejerk reaction is to put a timer on the power supply and
    >> just turn it off for a minute and then back on every 24 hours.

    >A very strange first reaction. Surely the first reaction should be to
    >look at a packet dump of your local network, and see what the offending
    >device is actually doing when you try to make the failing call?

    It would probably work around the problem - albeit not very
    elegantly.

    Well, now I can at least spell "Packet Dump"....

    Can anybody name a utility that can record packets continuously
    for days at a time (which I'm guessing is the prerequisite to
    creating a packet dump)?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 16, 2012
  8. On 2012-09-16, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    >Can anybody name a utility that can record packets continuously
    >for days at a time (which I'm guessing is the prerequisite to
    >creating a packet dump)?

    tcpdump to do the recording, wireshark to do the analysis.

    Roger Burton West, Sep 16, 2012
  9. On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 17:39 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Can anybody name a utility that can record packets continuously
    > for days at a time (which I'm guessing is the prerequisite to
    > creating a packet dump)?

    Roger already answered, but I'll point out that you don't need to do it
    for days at a time. You said it was repeatable once it starts occurring.

    So wait for it to occur, start tcpdump, make a (failing) call, stop
    tcpdump. Then you have a nice simple capture demonstrating the problem.

    Try to capture only traffic to/from the SPA3102, and of course you need
    to make sure that you run it on a box which will *see* that traffic.
    Your router is the best choice.

    David Woodhouse, Sep 16, 2012
  10. On 2012-09-16, Andy Burns wrote:

    >First you need to make sure the PC running tcpdump (why not let
    >wireshark do the capture too?) is seeing the same packets that the SPA
    >device is seeing ...

    The answer to the second question answers the first too - run tcpdump on
    the router, which (if it's set up right) won't have the GUI that
    wireshark requires, and then copy the packets across to a desktop box
    for analysis.

    If your router can't run tcpdump, you're probably naffed. I suppose you
    could bodge together a dual-ethernet box to sit in front of the SPA and
    record everything that goes through it.

    Roger Burton West, Sep 16, 2012
  11. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:27:18 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-09-16, Andy Burns wrote:
    >
    >>First you need to make sure the PC running tcpdump (why not let
    >>wireshark do the capture too?) is seeing the same packets that the SPA
    >>device is seeing ...

    >The answer to the second question answers the first too - run tcpdump on
    >the router, which (if it's set up right) won't have the GUI that
    >wireshark requires, and then copy the packets across to a desktop box
    >for analysis.
    >
    >If your router can't run tcpdump, you're probably naffed. I suppose you
    >could bodge together a dual-ethernet box to sit in front of the SPA and
    >record everything that goes through it.

    That would be a hub, although in the UK the term as been hijacked by
    certain people to mean something other than a hub.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Sep 17, 2012
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:29:45 +0100, David Woodhouse
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 13:03 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >> My kneejerk reaction is to put a timer on the power supply and
    >> just turn it off for a minute and then back on every 24 hours.

    >A very strange first reaction. Surely the first reaction should be to
    >look at a packet dump of your local network, and see what the offending
    >device is actually doing when you try to make the failing call?

    But an intuitive work-around for anyone not confident in interpreting
    the results of your excellent idea.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Sep 17, 2012
  13. On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 03:26 +0100, Graham. wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:27:18 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
    > <> wrote:
    > >If your router can't run tcpdump, you're probably naffed. I suppose you
    > >could bodge together a dual-ethernet box to sit in front of the SPA and
    > >record everything that goes through it.

    > That would be a hub, although in the UK the term as been hijacked by
    > certain people to mean something other than a hub.

    I think Roger meant a computer acting as a router or a switch, with two
    Ethernet ports.

    But a hub would probably do the trick, if you can actually find one
    these days. An Ethernet hub will indiscriminately forward packets from
    one port out *all* its other ports (and hence your PC will see them).
    While an Ethernet switch would send them only to the *appropriate*
    output port, so something hanging off a different port will never see
    the traffic between the SPA and the router.

    David Woodhouse, Sep 17, 2012