    version for a 3.3.6 box - and if so, why both versions are offered!

    Many thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 31, 2010

  2. Chris Davies

    Alan Guest

    "Chris Davies" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been reviewing my options with regard to upgrading my SPA3102
    > firmware. There appears to be two firmware revisions available at
    > http://bit.ly/bzikB4 - one version 3.3.6 and one 5.1.10.
    >
    > My SPA3102 is already at 3.3.6 (firmware "3.3.6(GW)" with a hardware
    > revision "1.4.5(a)" to be precise), yet (a) I've never upgraded it
    > in the couple of years I've had it, and (b) the release date for this
    > software claims to be 21st July 2010 - just last month. (Provisioning
    > is not enabled, in case anyone wonders!)
    >
    > So, could someone explain what the difference is between the 3.3.6
    > firmware and the 5.1.10, please? Particularly whether they are for
    > different hardware revisions, or whether 5.1.10 is really the latest
    > version for a 3.3.6 box - and if so, why both versions are offered!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Chris

    It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
    The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
    under "Voice > Regional settings".

    If it's not broken .......

    BTW
    There is a Cisco/Linksys (Sipura) forum at Voxilla.com

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 31, 2010

  3. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Alan <> wrote:
    > It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
    > The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
    > under "Voice > Regional settings".

    Mmmm, uh oh. Thanks for that heads-up.

    > If it's not broken .......

    Well, IMO it is broken - don't you find the echo on the POTS line pretty
    unpleasant? I do (and my wife /detests/ it).

    > There is a Cisco/Linksys (Sipura) forum at Voxilla.com

    Ahh!

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 31, 2010
  4. Chris Davies

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <>
    Chris Davies <> wrote:

    > Alan <> wrote:
    > > It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
    > > The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
    > > under "Voice > Regional settings".

    > Mmmm, uh oh. Thanks for that heads-up.
    >

    > > If it's not broken .......

    > Well, IMO it is broken - don't you find the echo on the POTS line pretty
    > unpleasant? I do (and my wife /detests/ it).

    Your line impedance setting predominantly affects how much echo
    the far end hears when talking to you. It also affects the level
    of sidetone, which is your voice coming back non-delayed. You
    always want some sidetone; it's very disconcerting not to have
    any, it's like talking into complete emptiness. As for how much
    "some" is: quite a lot, usually in the range -6 dB to -10 dB.

    When I say "non-delayed", that really applies to an analogue phone.
    A DECT handset introduces delays both ways between itself and the
    hybrid, so it might sound like echo, I suppose.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Aug 31, 2010