SPA3102 echoes really gone!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve Hayes, Apr 12, 2010.

  1. Steve Hayes

    Steve Hayes Guest

    A few weeks back, I'd mentioned (in a reply) that the SPA3102 PSTN
    line echoes that have plagued me for years seemed to be much better
    with the newest 5.1.10(GW) firmware.

    Now, I'm sure about this. I have two units and have often set them up
    to forward incoming PSTN calls on one of them to the other. This
    worked in that you could hold a conversation but it was always a
    horrible experience because of echoes.

    In the last few days, I received several forwarded calls and the
    quality was perfect. I didn't even realise they were forwarded calls.

    Odd thing is that I don't think the firmware release notes have any
    mention at all of echoes. That's common in my experience though. I
    suspect the writers of release notes don't want to admit the previous
    firmware had serious flaws. Short-sighted though since, despite all
    its great capabilities, I'd never have recommended the SPA3102 to
    anyone because of the echoes and, if, I'd depended on the release
    notes and not tried updating the firmware, I'd still be saying the
    same thing.

    I suppose purging the configuration screens of all those pointless
    options would be too big an ask though... One person's pointless
    option is no doubt someone else's must have.

    --
    Steve Hayes
    South Wales, UK
    Steve Hayes, Apr 12, 2010

  2. Steve Hayes

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:41:34 +0100, Steve Hayes wrote:

    > I suppose purging the configuration screens of all those pointless
    > options would be too big an ask though... One person's pointless option
    > is no doubt someone else's must have.

    I guess so. I have two SPAs (a 2000 and an 8000) and they are both a pain
    to configure. What I do now is have a script that generates the
    configuration, then load it into the SPA 'over the wire'. Particularly
    useful when you want to tweak all 8 lines on the 8000!

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org
    Bob Eager, Apr 12, 2010

  3. Steve Hayes

    Chris Davies Guest

    Steve Hayes <> wrote:
    > A few weeks back, I'd mentioned (in a reply) that the SPA3102 PSTN
    > line echoes that have plagued me for years seemed to be much better
    > with the newest 5.1.10(GW) firmware.

    Where should I look to get such firmware, please?
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Apr 16, 2010
  4. Steve Hayes

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:09:28 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

    > Steve Hayes <> wrote:
    >> A few weeks back, I'd mentioned (in a reply) that the SPA3102 PSTN line
    >> echoes that have plagued me for years seemed to be much better with the
    >> newest 5.1.10(GW) firmware.

    > Where should I look to get such firmware, please? Cheers,

    Linksys website.

    Bob Eager, Apr 16, 2010
  5. Steve Hayes

    Chris Davies Guest

    Chris Davies <> wrote:
    > Where should I look to get such firmware, please?

    Silly me: found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10027/index.html

    Scarily, I'm currently on 3.3.6(GW). I hope it upgrades happily...
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Apr 16, 2010