SPA 3000 Config

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Woggle, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    Hi All,

    Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.

    Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
    for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
    frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
    automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.

    In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
    away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
    calls are fine.

    Any thoughts on where to start with solving this?

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Woggle, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Woggle

    Tim Bray Guest

    Woggle wrote:

    > Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
    > for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
    > frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
    > automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.

    Maybe a network failure.

    > In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
    > away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
    > calls are fine.

    Does anybody know which codecs voip.co.uk use? If it is G.729 or G.723
    then this could explain the sound.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Woggle

    Jono Guest

    Woggle laid this down on his screen :
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.
    >
    > Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
    > for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
    > frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
    > automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.

    What destination providers are involved?

    > In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
    > away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
    > calls are fine.

    Is the low audio on calls coming in on the regular PSTN line? If so,
    you are not alone.

    Jono, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    Thanks for the swift responses,

    To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
    is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?

    The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
    I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
    think are BT but I'll double check that.

    Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
    internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
    Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
    is the way forward!! Doh!

    Please help

    Woggle, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Woggle

    paul hayes Guest

    Woggle wrote:
    > Thanks for the swift responses,
    >

    > To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
    > is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?
    >
    > The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
    > I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
    > think are BT but I'll double check that.
    >
    > Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
    > internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
    > Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
    > is the way forward!! Doh!
    >
    > Please help
    >

    > Jono wrote:
    >> Woggle laid this down on his screen :
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.
    >>>
    >>> Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
    >>> for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
    >>> frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
    >>> automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.
    >>>

    >> What destination providers are involved?
    >>
    >>> In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
    >>> away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
    >>> calls are fine.
    >>>

    >> Is the low audio on calls coming in on the regular PSTN line? If so,
    >> you are not alone.
    >>

    >>> Any thoughts on where to start with solving this?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >>> Mark

    Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
    changed it to "UK-spec"?

    http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf

    shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like
    a UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line
    quality is the FXO Impedance setting.

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    paul hayes, Jun 20, 2006
  6. "paul hayes" <> wrote in message
    > Woggle wrote:
    >> Thanks for the swift responses,
    >>

    >> To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
    >> is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?
    >>
    >> The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
    >> I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
    >> think are BT but I'll double check that.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
    >> internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
    >> Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
    >> is the way forward!! Doh!
    >>
    >> Please help

    > Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
    > changed it to "UK-spec"?
    >
    > http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf
    >
    > shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like a
    > UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line quality
    > is the FXO Impedance setting.

    It's worth noting that my SPA3000 was rock solid reliable until I tried
    using the Provu UK settings whereupon it would consistently but randomly (if
    that's not a contradiction in terms) drop PSTN calls. I think it was
    something to do with the silence detection but I never fully got to the
    bottom of it as my phone calls were more important to me than academic
    satisfaction so I ended up backing out most of the settings I had changed.

    The impedance settings _are_ correct though.

    --
    Thomas Sandford

    Thomas Sandford, Jun 22, 2006
  7. Woggle

    paul hayes Guest

    Thomas Sandford wrote:
    > "paul hayes" <> wrote in message
    >> Woggle wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the swift responses,
    >>>

    >>> To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
    >>> is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?
    >>>
    >>> The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
    >>> I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
    >>> think are BT but I'll double check that.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
    >>> internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
    >>> Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
    >>> is the way forward!! Doh!
    >>>
    >>> Please help

    >> Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
    >> changed it to "UK-spec"?
    >>
    >> http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf
    >>
    >> shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like a
    >> UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line quality
    >> is the FXO Impedance setting.

    > It's worth noting that my SPA3000 was rock solid reliable until I tried
    > using the Provu UK settings whereupon it would consistently but randomly (if
    > that's not a contradiction in terms) drop PSTN calls. I think it was
    > something to do with the silence detection but I never fully got to the
    > bottom of it as my phone calls were more important to me than academic
    > satisfaction so I ended up backing out most of the settings I had changed.
    >
    > The impedance settings _are_ correct though.

    hmm, those settings shouldn't cause a disconnect until 30 seconds of
    continuous silence are detected. Unless there is simply a bug in the
    Sipura device? Altering the PSTN Silence Threshold setting may fix this
    problem. Another potential issue was with the disconnect tone,
    originally that document just specified a single tone for the disconnect
    tone which seemed to work but technically speaking dual tones should be
    given so it'll soon be changed to: 400@-30,400@-30;2(*/0/1+2).

    cheers,
    Paul.

    paul hayes, Jun 23, 2006
  8. "paul hayes" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas Sandford wrote:
    >> "paul hayes" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
    >>> changed it to "UK-spec"?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf
    >>>
    >>> shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like
    >>> a UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line
    >>> quality is the FXO Impedance setting.

    >> It's worth noting that my SPA3000 was rock solid reliable until I tried
    >> using the Provu UK settings whereupon it would consistently but randomly
    >> (if that's not a contradiction in terms) drop PSTN calls. I think it was
    >> something to do with the silence detection but I never fully got to the
    >> bottom of it as my phone calls were more important to me than academic
    >> satisfaction so I ended up backing out most of the settings I had
    >> changed.
    >>
    >> The impedance settings _are_ correct though.
    >>

    > hmm, those settings shouldn't cause a disconnect until 30 seconds of
    > continuous silence are detected. Unless there is simply a bug in the
    > Sipura device? Altering the PSTN Silence Threshold setting may fix this
    > problem. Another potential issue was with the disconnect tone, originally
    > that document just specified a single tone for the disconnect tone which
    > seemed to work but technically speaking dual tones should be given so
    > it'll soon be changed to: 400@-30,400@-30;2(*/0/1+2).

    My guess at the time was that it was tied into the other problem the OP had,
    namely that the (inward) volume on PSTN calls tends to be a bit quiet
    anyway, and so if you had a quiet caller the unit was detecting "silence"
    and dropping the call. I think I did look at the tones thing, thought "that
    (a single tone) could be dodgy" and disabled it, but I caqn't now remember
    fully.

    Like I said, the trouble at the time was that my phone usage represents my
    livelyhood so I really couldn't afford to spend a few days changing configs
    one at a time until I stopped pissing customers off (!) so I reverted to a
    non-optimal, but known working, config.

    I'd be delighted though if someone came up with a definitve UK config that
    didn't have this problem!

    --
    Thomas Sandford

    Thomas Sandford, Jun 23, 2006
  9. Woggle

    paul hayes Guest

    Thomas Sandford wrote:
    [snip]

    > I'd be delighted though if someone came up with a definitve UK config that
    > didn't have this problem!

    I don't think such a thing is possible. The settings in that doc are
    mostly from the BT Supplier Information Notes website
    http://www.sinet.bt.com. You're still going to get individual little
    problems relating to a particular setup or poor quality line. The PSTN
    Silence Threshold setting should fix that but it's not right to tell
    everyone they need to change that because in most cases the default
    setting works.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    paul hayes, Jun 23, 2006
  10. Woggle

    Tim Guest

    paul hayes wrote:
    > I don't think such a thing is possible. The settings in that doc are
    > mostly from the BT Supplier Information Notes website
    > http://www.sinet.bt.com. You're still going to get individual little
    > problems relating to a particular setup or poor quality line. The PSTN
    > Silence Threshold setting should fix that but it's not right to tell
    > everyone they need to change that because in most cases the default
    > setting works.

    My 2p also.

    While BT's line specifications are nicely published online, the same can
    not be said of other telecoms providers.

    There also seems to be significant regional variations as well.

    Tim

    Tim, Jun 27, 2006
  11. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    Thanks for all your help with this.

    As it turns out, not all my PSTN settings were set to as the UK.

    Will let you know how things go.

    Have also downloaded Sipura 3000 System Tray Monitor so may also give
    me a clear idea of when calls were cut off (or noise was low).

    Stupid questions, but if the calls were being cut off and the noise was
    quiet, PSTN Silence Threshold is currently set to medium - should it go
    to high or low?

    Thanks

    Woggle, Jul 9, 2006