SP3: Update icon no longer appears

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *alan*, May 11, 2008.

  1. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    (Using XPProSP2) I've got automatic updates set for "receive notification,
    but do not automatically download or install".
    Since early last week, the icon has appeared on a daily basis in the tray
    notifying me of the SP3 update. I kept ignoring it, intending to download
    it over this weekend. However, since Saturday there's been no icon.
    I clicked on "Offer updates again that I've previously hidden", thinking I
    may have unwittingly hidden it. Only "Genuine Advantage" and IE7 appeared,
    both of which I hid again as I'm suspicious of any "advantage" MS may be
    offering me and I use Firefox instead of IE (although IE6 is still lurking
    on my hard drive).
    I checked to see if SP3 might have somehow been automatically downloaded
    already, but found the most recent update was KB941693 on 4/9.

    I don't want to download it from the Windows Update site as they require
    first undergoing the "Genuine Advantage" procedure (a friend repaired my
    crashed computer a couple years ago and I can't vouch for the "genuineness"
    of its OS).

    Do I have any alternatives?

    Greatly appreciating any advice,
    --
    alan
    *alan*, May 11, 2008

  2. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > In article <y8DVj.171$>,
    >
    > says...
    >> (Using XPProSP2) I've got automatic updates set for "receive
    >> notification,
    >> but do not automatically download or install".
    >> Since early last week, the icon has appeared on a daily basis in the tray
    >> notifying me of the SP3 update. I kept ignoring it, intending to
    >> download
    >> it over this weekend. However, since Saturday there's been no icon.
    >> I clicked on "Offer updates again that I've previously hidden", thinking
    >> may have unwittingly hidden it. Only "Genuine Advantage" and IE7
    >> appeared,
    >> both of which I hid again as I'm suspicious of any "advantage" MS may be
    >> offering me and I use Firefox instead of IE (although IE6 is still
    >> lurking
    >> on my hard drive).
    >> I checked to see if SP3 might have somehow been automatically downloaded
    >> already, but found the most recent update was KB941693 on 4/9.
    >>
    >> I don't want to download it from the Windows Update site as they require
    >> first undergoing the "Genuine Advantage" procedure (a friend repaired my
    >> crashed computer a couple years ago and I can't vouch for the
    >> "genuineness"
    >> of its OS).
    >>
    >> Do I have any alternatives?
    >>
    >> Greatly appreciating any advice,
    >> --
    >> alan
    >>

    > I heard the SP3 patch runs Genuine Advantage any time you load it as part
    > of the
    > install process from where ever you get it. I guess your fooked. If you're
    > already
    > up to date with patches it's not really needed anyway.
    >
    > Bill

    Yikes! You mean if I had downloaded SP3 last week, I would have unwittingly
    downloaded the "Genuine Advantage" along with it and would have had no
    option to keep it out of the download? I want no part of the "Genuine
    Advantage" --- I have visions of MS detecting the less-than-genuine nature
    of my OS and disabling or crippling it. Good thing I wasn't eager to
    download it as soon as I was notified . . .
    --
    alan
    *alan*, May 11, 2008