    Or is it just FUD to try and get me to use the MS product?

    TIA.

    Warwick

    Warwick, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Warwick

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Open the Security Center, under firewall click Recommendations and tick "I
    have a firewall that I will monitor myself...."

    -{-astrae-}-, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Warwick

    Dorado Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad
    > odd) and installed last night.
    >
    > Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    > changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).
    >
    > One difference bothers me ....
    > I keep getting nagged that I have no firewall installed.
    > I have turned the msoft one off, and use a Sygate product.
    > So - do I really have no firewall? Could SP2 have broken sygate and
    > that is what the warning is about? (Sygate seems to be fine).
    > Or is it just FUD to try and get me to use the MS product?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Warwick

    It means the version of Sygate you have is not being detected by SP2. Check
    the Sygate website for an update to their program.

    Dorado, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Warwick

    Tim Guest

    Check for updates for the sygate product you have.

    The new security center integrates with 3rd party firewall and AV. It will
    nag you to get both if it does not detect them - as a security precaution.

    For the 3rd party f/w and av products to be detected they needed a minor
    update. This update also reports to the security center things such as the
    last time you updated your virus definitions.

    This is a healthy improvement: how many times have you come across a
    computer where the owner thinks the AV is working and up to date only to
    find the AV defs are from years ago?

    You don't have to use the MS SP2 f/w if you don't want. Many 3rd party f/w's
    are better. The MS supplied one is meant to be a safe minimum f/w to reduce
    the ability of worms from spreading. So, no FUD.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Warwick

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:38:05 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:

    >I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad odd) and
    >installed last night.
    >
    >Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    >changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).
    >
    >One difference bothers me ....
    >I keep getting nagged that I have no firewall installed.
    >I have turned the msoft one off, and use a Sygate product.
    >So - do I really have no firewall? Could SP2 have broken sygate and that is
    >what the warning is about? (Sygate seems to be fine).
    >Or is it just FUD to try and get me to use the MS product?
    >
    >TIA.
    >
    >Warwick

    I ended up tuning every thing OFF, as it was just getting a pain to use, even
    the buffer overflow thing..

    How on earth a none computer person will handle this..

    Works ok with Kerio 2

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004
  6. Warwick

    Neil & lisa Guest

    go to control panel click security centre icon. One of the choices on the
    right of the page is "change the way security centre alerts me " click
    this then you can uncheck the box for firewall and it will stop nagging you

    Neil

    Neil & lisa, Sep 8, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed,
    8 Sep 2004 12:38:05 +1200, Warwick <> says...
    > I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad odd) and
    > installed last night.
    >
    > Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    > changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).

    I only run XP Pro and have never seen a progress bar that wasn't green.
    LOL

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 8, 2004
  8. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:45:00 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Wed,
    > 8 Sep 2004 12:38:05 +1200, Warwick <> says...
    >> I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad odd) and
    >> installed last night.
    >>
    >> Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    >> changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).

    > I only run XP Pro and have never seen a progress bar that wasn't green.
    > LOL

    Far out. I have conducted a quick poll online, found 2 people with 3 xp pro
    installs. Their prog bars are all blue.

    Maybe Nathan or Brent can solve this little puzzle?

    Warwick, Sep 8, 2004
  9. Warwick

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:38:05 +1200, Warwick wrote:

    > I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad odd) and
    > installed last night.
    >
    > Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    > changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).
    >
    > One difference bothers me ....
    > I keep getting nagged that I have no firewall installed.
    > I have turned the msoft one off, and use a Sygate product.
    > So - do I really have no firewall? Could SP2 have broken sygate and that is
    > what the warning is about? (Sygate seems to be fine).
    > Or is it just FUD to try and get me to use the MS product?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Warwick

    I don't know about that nag in SP2, i don't have SP2, but this fixes the
    nags in XP pro SP1 (no hdd space, get a passport, blah blah)
    set
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableBalloonTips
    to 0

    -[Myth]-, Sep 8, 2004
  10. Warwick

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:07:14 +1200, Warwick wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:45:00 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> In article <> in nz.comp on Wed,
    >> 8 Sep 2004 12:38:05 +1200, Warwick <> says...
    >>> I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad odd) and
    >>> installed last night.
    >>>
    >>> Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    >>> changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).

    >> I only run XP Pro and have never seen a progress bar that wasn't green.
    >> LOL

    > Far out. I have conducted a quick poll online, found 2 people with 3 xp pro
    > installs. Their prog bars are all blue.
    >
    > Maybe Nathan or Brent can solve this little puzzle?

    mines blue :D (XP pro)
    It is of course possible to modify the resources some system DLLs to change
    the boot screen completely

    -[Myth]-, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Warwick

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:33:33 +1200, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:38:05 +1200, Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> I recd the XP sp2 cd (posted from Dubai in UAE which seemed a tad odd) and
    >> installed last night.
    >>
    >> Lots of 'little' differences (eg the progress bar in the splash screen
    >> changed from green (XP home) to blue (XP pro).
    >>
    >> One difference bothers me ....
    >> I keep getting nagged that I have no firewall installed.
    >> I have turned the msoft one off, and use a Sygate product.
    >> So - do I really have no firewall? Could SP2 have broken sygate and that is
    >> what the warning is about? (Sygate seems to be fine).
    >> Or is it just FUD to try and get me to use the MS product?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Warwick

    >I don't know about that nag in SP2, i don't have SP2, but this fixes the
    >nags in XP pro SP1 (no hdd space, get a passport, blah blah)
    >set
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableBalloonTips
    >to 0

    No dnload XP-Antispy...

    http://www.xp-antispy.org/

    No pissing around..

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004
  12. Warwick

    Fishb8 Guest

    Go to Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services and scroll down to Security Center
    and disable. No more nags or red shield in your task bar.
    Roy Price - May the Fish be with you!

    Fishb8, Sep 8, 2004