    Where can I get SP2 that works?

    Help as always appreciated

    George

    George W. W., Sep 12, 2004

  2. George W. W.

    Ionizer Guest

    "George W. W." <> wrote in message
    news:pMW0d.66$...
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I've downloaded SP2 using e-donkey 2000 & used a copy CD download from
    > a friend.
    >
    > In both cases when attempting to activate it stops saying I have an

    invalid
    > code & to
    > go to MS site www.howtocheck.com . (Obviousely its a freebie download).
    >
    > Is both my activation failures related ?
    >
    > Where can I get SP2 that works?

    Why on earth would you try to get it via p2p? Why not just go the obvious
    route and visit Windows Update?

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 12, 2004

  3. George W. W.

    George W. W. Guest

    Hi Ian,

    Because I'm stupid I guess.

    I assume therefore its free ?

    Thanks for replying

    George

    ----------------------------------

    George W. W., Sep 12, 2004
  4. George W. W.

    °Mike° Guest

    Go straight to the source -- you are stupid for
    downloading SECURITY updates from P2P!
    I suggest you THOROUGHLY scan your system
    for viruses, trojans, spyware and malware of
    all kinds.

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    It's free, and I got mine in about 8 days.

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:53:19 GMT, in
    <PMW0d.66$>
    George W. W. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 12, 2004
  5. George W. W.

    gangle Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote
    > Go straight to the source -- you are stupid for
    > downloading SECURITY updates from P2P!
    > I suggest you THOROUGHLY scan your system
    > for viruses, trojans, spyware and malware of
    > all kinds.
    >
    > Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >
    > It's free, and I got mine in about 8 days.

    That's only because Microsoft fears you will turn your
    evil robot powers against them if they don't kiss your
    metallic anus.

    gangle, Sep 12, 2004
  6. George W. W.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:01:25 -0700, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> Go straight to the source -- you are stupid for
    >> downloading SECURITY updates from P2P!
    >> I suggest you THOROUGHLY scan your system
    >> for viruses, trojans, spyware and malware of
    >> all kinds.
    >>
    >> Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >>
    >> It's free, and I got mine in about 8 days.

    >That's only because Microsoft fears you will turn your
    >evil robot powers against them if they don't kiss your
    >metallic anus.

    And they're damn right, too!

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 12, 2004
  7. George W. W.

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "George W. W." <> wrote in

    > In both cases when attempting to activate it stops saying I have an
    > invalid code & to
    > go to MS site www.howtocheck.com . (Obviousely its a freebie
    > download).

    That is saying you have a version of Windows XP that has a CD key that is
    known to be pirated and thus MS has blocked your access to updates. If
    that is not the case, contact Microsoft immediately and explain your
    situation. If you have a pirated version, dude, fess up and buy a license,
    will not cost you that much.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 12, 2004
  8. George W. W.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ionizer mused:

    | Why on earth would you try to get it via p2p? Why not just go the obvious
    | route and visit Windows Update?

    Because he has an illegal copy of XP ... which is what SP2 is telling
    him.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 12, 2004
  9. George W. W.

    Ionizer Guest

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Ionizer mused:
    > |
    > | Why on earth would you try to get it via p2p? Why not just go the

    obvious
    > | route and visit Windows Update?
    >
    > Because he has an illegal copy of XP ... which is what SP2 is

    telling
    > him.

    Ah... I misunderstood that bit. But it was my understanding that
    Microsoft had ultimately decided that the SP2 patch could be applied even
    to pirated copies of XP. I must confess to not having paid much attention
    to this development though (my copy of XP being bought and paid for) so I
    may be wrong.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 12, 2004
  10. George W. W.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You have an illegal copy of XP that is why.

    pcbutts1, Sep 12, 2004
  11. Slartibartfast, Sep 12, 2004
  12. George W. W.

    Hamman Guest

    "George W. W." <> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I've downloaded SP2 using e-donkey 2000 & used a copy CD download from
    > a friend.
    >
    > In both cases when attempting to activate it stops saying I have an
    > invalid
    > code & to
    > go to MS site www.howtocheck.com . (Obviousely its a freebie download).
    >
    > Is both my activation failures related ?

    You think? If you cant do things propperly, dont even bother trying to copy
    stuff. I bet you installed with FCKGW etc too as well.

    > Where can I get SP2 that works?

    Buy it

    hamman

    Hamman, Sep 12, 2004
  13. George W. W.

    George W. W. Guest

    Re: SP2 invalid code LESSON LEARNED (nearly)

    Grateful to all contributions for my initial help.

    Lessons learned but even when I used MS own SP2 download file site,
    when I rebooted nothing happened even though I carefully all the preparation
    prompts.

    I suspect it is because I refused to let MS update my system on their terms
    not mine.
    As I am patient I will struggle to solve this myself but via MS official
    site
    not e-donkey 2000 et al

    Thanks again, I have benefited & will try to pass on my limited knowledge
    to other even greener neebies

    George

    George W. W., Sep 12, 2004
  14. Howdy!

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > "George W. W." <> wrote in message

    > > Where can I get SP2 that works?

    > Buy it

    Err - OK. Where you gonna buy it? Microsoft just gives it away.

    Of course, I'm still bumfuzzled by all the folks doing P2P downloads
    of it, when it's free on the web site ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 12, 2004
  15. George W. W.

    JJO Guest

    For the OP....

    SP2 will even install over XP that uses a code which is not one of the
    widely distributed corporate codes. The activation problem occurs when the
    user has inputted a code that is locked out in SP2. There are codes locked
    out as in SP1 but not a great number of them. Now this is how the
    information was passed on to me.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Sep 13, 2004
  16. George W. W.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ionizer mused:

    | Ah... I misunderstood that bit. But it was my understanding that
    | Microsoft had ultimately decided that the SP2 patch could be applied even
    | to pirated copies of XP. I must confess to not having paid much attention
    | to this development though (my copy of XP being bought and paid for) so I
    | may be wrong.

    Well, someone within MS did say that "security is so important, SP2 will
    even install on illegal copies." However, a few days later it was published
    that this was not the case. I suspect it was planned so that illegal owners
    would try to install, and maybe the few who didn't know their copy was
    illegal would them make it so. Just a theory, though.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 13, 2004
  17. George W. W.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ralph Wade Phillips mused:

    | Of course, I'm still bumfuzzled by all the folks doing P2P
    | downloads of it, when it's free on the web site ...

    That's because they have illegal installs, and they are afraid that
    Windows Update will log their system information and get them busted.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 13, 2004
  18. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    13 Sep 2004 03:37:58 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    >Taking a moment's reflection, Ralph Wade Phillips mused:
    >|
    >| Of course, I'm still bumfuzzled by all the folks doing P2P
    >| downloads of it, when it's free on the web site ...
    >
    > That's because they have illegal installs, and they are afraid that
    >Windows Update will log their system information and get them busted.

    That's BS. MS doesn't even record personal IPs or info when you
    download the SP, even from their Windows Update page where they scan
    yoru PC for update info. Besides, you can download the Admin version
    of SP2 right off of their web site. It's 266 megs.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 13, 2004
  19. George W. W.

    Phantom Guest

    Re: SP2 invalid code LESSON LEARNED (nearly)

    Microsoft is offering a free copy of SP2 for the asking....Illegal copy or
    not....Sorry I no longer have the URL , but delivery was under 10 days

    Phantom, Sep 13, 2004
  20. George W. W.

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Sep 13, 2004