    re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
    of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
    Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    Ttopref, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Ttopref

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:43 +0000, Ttopref wrote:

    > Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
    > everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
    > updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
    > and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
    > Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
    > download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
    > re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
    > of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
    > Can anyone shed any light on this please?

    Did you do a system capatability check before installing SP2? There could
    be a problem there.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Nov 28, 2005

  3. Ttopref

    Topref Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:43 +0000, Ttopref wrote:
    >
    >> Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive
    >> and
    >> everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
    >> updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP
    >> Pro
    >> and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the
    >> Windows
    >> Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
    >> download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
    >> re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just
    >> short
    >> of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
    >> Can anyone shed any light on this please?

    > Did you do a system capatability check before installing SP2? There could
    > be a problem there.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Thanks for the prompt reply. No I didn't do a check but I'm 99% certain that
    when I last did an install, I did install SP2 on top and it worked fine.
    Topref, Nov 28, 2005
  4. Ttopref

    bmoag Guest

    I sympathize as I have also experienced computer destruction at the hands of
    Norton. I will never use Norton/Symantec products again.
    If you cannot boot into safe mode you have big, big problems. Fortunately
    you backed up all your data prior to your last install?
    I have never found a reliable way around this issue, although there may be
    one out there, other than a reinstall. There may be a way to edit the
    registry, the win.ini and sys.ini files using the console but it would just
    be faster to reinstall the OS anyway.
    If you elect to try to "fix" your current XP installation you will just
    reinstall XP prior to SP2 again so you might as well
    delete/reformat/reinstall.
    If SP2 has worked before on this computer previously, and it should, then
    something happened to screw up the SP2 download or installation. Endless
    reboot loops can be caused by hardware failure, however, particularly memory
    (modules or motherboard) and hard drive.
    bmoag, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Ttopref

    tehball Guest

    So if I read this right, you went online with just XP, unpatched, no
    anti virus software. Unless you are sitting behind a router then you
    can pretty much count on getting any number of virus and or trojans.

    I read a review once that stated an unpatched XP machine connected to
    the internet with no antivirus and no router will be compromised in
    less than 10 minutes.

    Do your self a favour. Find a way to download SP2 and burn it to CD.
    Unplug you internet connection. Install XP clean install. Install SP2.
    Install antivirus. Update anti virus definitions. Update Winows
    security patches.

    Even after all that, go and spend $20 to $30 on a router for extra
    protection.
    tehball, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Ttopref

    Fakename Guest

    I'd like to play devil's advocate for a second, sort of.

    I hate Norton Anti Virus (except Enterprise version 7.6 which I use in
    production with no problems) but there are other symantec products that
    kick ass, namely Ghost. Ghost kicks ass. Gdisk kicks ass too.

    /just sayin

    Fakename, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Ttopref

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:54:39 +0000, Topref wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:43 +0000, Ttopref wrote:
    >>
    >>> Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my
    >>> drive and
    >>> everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows
    >>> XP updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was
    >>> Windows XP Pro
    >>> and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the
    >>> Windows
    >>> Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
    >>> download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
    >>> re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just
    >>> short
    >>> of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same
    >>> result. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

    >> Did you do a system capatability check before installing SP2? There
    >> could be a problem there.
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152
    >>

    > Thanks for the prompt reply. No I didn't do a check but I'm 99% certain
    > that when I last did an install, I did install SP2 on top and it worked
    > fine.

    At this point I'd suggest starting at square one again. Reinstall clean,
    load AVG Free Antivirus ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 )
    and go get your Windows updates. Do a defrag at some point before you
    drop SP2 into the mix and run error checking for your hard drive while
    your at it too. Assuming you have a legitimate license for your WinXP
    version, the Microsoft certification should go cleanly and your system
    should boot correctly.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Ttopref

    Reggy Guest

    Ttopref wrote:

    > Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
    > everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
    > updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
    > and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
    > Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
    > download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
    > re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
    > of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
    > Can anyone shed any light on this please?

    do a bootable floppy , clean the hd0 disk from a dos prompt with fdisk
    /mbr and reboot , if still unstable then do a install cdboot and follow
    the instruction until its done a restore , then down load avast and
    download the corp sp2 onto a cd , install avast and scan then sp2 . good
    luck and get back to us
    Reggy, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Ttopref

    tehball Guest

    Reggy wrote:
    > Ttopref wrote:
    >
    > > Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
    > > everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
    > > updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
    > > and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
    > > Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
    > > download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
    > > re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
    > > of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
    > > Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    > >

    > do a bootable floppy , clean the hd0 disk from a dos prompt with fdisk
    > /mbr and reboot ,

    What kind of boot disk? Win 98? DOS? Good luck getting that to work on
    an NTFS partition

    if still unstable then do a install cdboot and follow the instruction
    until its done a restore ,

    Like I said, chances are he has a virus. Retore aint going to do shit
    for that. This is a new install gone bad. Blow it away and start
    again.

    then down load avast and download the corp sp2 onto a cd , install
    avast and scan then sp2 .

    So you are telling him to go online again with an unpatched system.
    Great. Welcome to the shit hitting the fan all over again.

    Ttopre, just do as I suggested above. Do not plug in you internet
    connection untill you have installed SP2 and antivirus. If you have to
    go to another computer to download it, then do so. You don't even need
    to open IE or surf with an unsecure system to get a virus. Just
    plugging in the cat5 is an open invitation.
    tehball, Nov 29, 2005