    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated,
    Thanks
    Chris B

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQg==?=, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Service Packs are considered security updates and are a free support call.
    I'd suggest that might be your best avenue of resolution.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 5, 2007

  3. Thanks for the advice, but apparently, buying OEM software is easier than
    getting support for it - they won't help me.

    If anyone else has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. perhaps you
    could think of something I might be doing wrong.

    Thanks

    Chris B

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQg==?=, Jun 11, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQg==?=

    Theo Guest

    Did you call the Microsoft Support about this?

    Since you're trying to install SP2, do a Repair install of
    Win x64 and then try applying SP2. The Repair install can
    be initiated while in Win x64, or it can be done from the
    setup. If you boot and go into the setup, the Repair you
    want is after you press F8 to accept the EULA, not the first
    one that comes up shortly after setup starts.

    Do a Repair install will put your system back to the
    original configuration without any updates, but SP2 will
    bring your system up-to-date most of the way.

    Theo, Jun 11, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQg==?=

    Theo Guest

    Another thought. Slipstream the SP2 into Win x64 and then
    do a Repair install, probably best booting from CD. This
    would put your system up to the SP2 level of about December
    2006.

    Theo, Jun 11, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQg==?=

    Theo Guest

    And another thought: Try logging as Administrator and apply
    SP2 from there.

    Theo, Jun 11, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need to try again. Charlie is correct and you should receive free of
    charge support for this kind of update. I do think you will find that
    something you have installed is conflicting, and in the end you will
    probably end up installing from scratch (or with their help, starting with a
    new copy of XP with XP2 already installed).

    John Barnes, Jun 13, 2007