SP2 install does not complete: Please help

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by ianomanija, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. ianomanija

    ianomanija Guest

    So I made new install of WinXP 64 Edition, instaled some programs, updates,
    a game and then Service Pack 2 wich installed but not comletly. It went all
    fine till my sistem come back from the reboot. Then the MSI fails and this
    error aperes:

    ---------Installer Information
    Thw Windows Instaler Service could not be accessed.
    This can occur if you are running Windows in safe
    mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly
    installed. Contact your support peronnel for assistance.
    --------

    This hapends every time I boot. I reinstalled SP2, and followed the step by
    step on http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315353 (my setings where alredy as
    they wonted me to set them). It did not help. Windows run without eny visible
    problem.

    in case it's related, XML core update fails toinstall too.

    Please help me, its not urgent, but is driving me mad! Tnx

    ianomanija, Mar 17, 2008

  2. ianomanija

    Stefan Pendl Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:44:01 -0700, ianomanija
    <> wrote:

    >So I made new install of WinXP 64 Edition, instaled some programs, updates,
    >a game and then Service Pack 2 wich installed but not comletly. It went all
    >fine till my sistem come back from the reboot. Then the MSI fails and this
    >error aperes:

    First, I would update the operating system before installing any other
    applications, especially games.

    Try to run the SP2 installation in save boot mode, which is the
    recommended way to install Windows service packs.

    ---
    Stefan Pendl

    Stefan Pendl, Mar 17, 2008

  3. Some antivirus software prevent writing the final registry entries. Remove
    any av software and try again. If that does not help, contact MS Product
    Support Services. PSS support for the installation of security updates and
    service packs is free, even for OEM versions. You may have to do a repair
    install (in the event of one or more corrupted system files).

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 17, 2008
  4. ianomanija

    ianomanija Guest

    It worked!

    I uninstalled all updates and SP2 then went in safe mode and reinstalled
    them and it worked for me.

    Thank you for the tip.

    ianomanija, Mar 19, 2008