SP2 - Connect to Wireless Network fails

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Installed SP2 on a brand new computer and lost my wireless connection. I
    rolled back to SP1 to achieve functionality, but would like to run SP2
    successfully.

    Here are the full details:
    1. Purchased brand new Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP Home Edition.
    2. Installed Linksys Wireless A+G PCI Adapter (WMP55AG).
    3. Able to connect to my wireless network and internet without any problem.
    4. Installed WinXP Pro Upgrade from shrink-wrap.
    5. Able to connect to wireless network and internet with no problem.
    6. Installed WinXP Service Pack 2
    a. System blue-screen early in installation process: Msg:
    “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALâ€
    b. Continued SP2 installation until successful.
    7. After reboot, unable to connect to wireless network.
    8. Able to “see†wireless network, but attempts to connect to network
    result in failure both with and without error messages.
    a. Error message occasionally appears: “Unable to connect to network.
    Network may no longer be in range. Refresh available networks list and try
    again.â€
    9. Spent 1.5 hours on telephone with Linksys tech support attempting to
    resolve issues. Unresolved.
    10. Used System Restore to take computer back to WinXP Service Pack 1.
    11. Able to connect to wireless network and internet with no problem.
    12. Submitted help request via Microsoft online tech support.
    a. Tech support sent link to hotfix (KB 884020).
    b. Saved hotfix to hard drive.
    14. Re-installed XP Service Pack 2.
    a. Once again, system blue-screen early in installation process.
    i. Msg: “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALâ€
    ii. Continued SP2 installation until successful.
    15. After reboot, still unable to connect to wireless network or internet.
    16. Installed hotfix. Rebooted.
    17. Still unable to connect to wireless network or internet.
    a. Same as above: can “see†but not connect to wireless network.
    b. Attempt to connect to network eventually fails with no error message.
    i. Connection dialog box eventually just disappears. No network
    connection made.

    Other diagnostic notes:
    • Router is Linksys WRT54G 802.11g.
    • System is located approximately 30-40 feet from wireless router:
    - 15-25 feet horizontal, 15 feet vertical (router is upstairs, PC is
    downstairs).
    • Distance from router is not likely the problem based on:
    - Able to connect PC to network under XP/SP1.
    - Able to connect ThinkPad with Linksys Wireless PCMCIA card and
    XP/SP1 to network from same location.
    - Able to connect HP iPaq 4450 Pocket PC with integrated wireless to
    network from same location.
    - Unable to connect Toshiba M200 Tablet PC with integrated wireless
    and WinXP/SP2 to wireless network.
    - Behavior of attempted connection is the same as for the Dell
    PC – able to “see†the wireless network but not connect.
    - Have not attempted to install hotfix on Toshiba Tablet PC.
    - Had been able to connect Tablet PC to my wireless network in
    the past when running XP/SP1.

    Suggestions?

    - Kevin

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=, Oct 4, 2004

  2. What are using to connect the linksys config tool or the windows wireless
    network tool.

    Microsoft recommends that if your adapter comes with config tool to use that
    instead of windows. here is what you must do Right click my computer select
    manage, then select services and applications, and select services scroll
    down and double click wireless zero configuration and hit the stop button.
    Restart the machine. Uninstall your network card and reinstall the card
    including the configuration utitlity. Once you entered all the info. check
    to see if you can connect.

    If not try this one remove and uninstall the adapter. Go back and restart
    the wireless zero configuratation utility. This time only install the
    drivers for the card and the linksys configuration utility. Then run windows
    wireless network wizard.

    Good Luck!

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZml1cw==?=, Oct 4, 2004

  3. I had similiar problems after installing SP2 then today decided to shut down
    the router and the computer for 2 -3 minutes. Then plugged the router back
    in and turned PC on and it now works. Don't know if this will work but seems
    to have worked for me.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlsbGll?=, Oct 5, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=

    HubSwitch Guest

    I would uninstall wifi device and remove the device physicaly from the
    system, THEN upgrade to SP2.. Then install software drivers for your device,
    ( or making sure you can access/have device drivers upon hardware
    installation) then install physical device, see how that goes...

    Thats what I would do myself

    HubSwitch

    HubSwitch, Oct 5, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=

    treehugger Guest

> [...]
    > • Router is Linksys WRT54G 802.11g.
    > • System is located approximately 30-40 feet from wireless router:
    > - 15-25 feet horizontal, 15 feet vertical (router is upstairs, PC is
    > downstairs).
    > • Distance from router is not likely the problem based on:
    > - Able to connect PC to network under XP/SP1.
    > - Able to connect ThinkPad with Linksys Wireless PCMCIA card and
    > XP/SP1 to network from same location.
    > - Able to connect HP iPaq 4450 Pocket PC with integrated wireless to
    > network from same location.
    > - Unable to connect Toshiba M200 Tablet PC with integrated wireless
    > and WinXP/SP2 to wireless network.
    > - Behavior of attempted connection is the same as for the Dell
    > PC – able to “see†the wireless network but not connect.
    > - Have not attempted to install hotfix on Toshiba Tablet PC.
    > - Had been able to connect Tablet PC to my wireless network in

    I've just done this having had the same problem after installing SP2. Start, Run, type services.msc. Scroll down to wireless zero configuration. Right-click it and select properties. Set to automatic and then 'Start' the service. Now go into "Network Connections", "View network connections" then "Change Windows Firewall Settings" Exceptions tab tick "UPnP framework". Reboot
    HTH

    treehugger

    treehugger, Oct 6, 2004