    The real thing is due out soon. I wonder what is the
    best way to be "secure" from SP2 ?

    johns

    johns, Aug 18, 2004

  2. johns

    Leythos Guest

    In article <cfv8u5$1eie$>, says...
    > We need the security, but what a pig !!!! I've tested it
    > twice now, and both times it dragged my PC down
    > to a crawl. Only save was to re-image the entire drive.
    > I put it on two different computers, and both showed
    > the extreme slowdown. Co-worker got the same
    > effect. I also hear that it is blocking hardware access,
    > and is incompatible with many drivers ... deletes them.
    > The real thing is due out soon. I wonder what is the
    > best way to be "secure" from SP2 ?

    I've installed SP2 on several machines, assuming that you are talking
    about Windows SP2. We've only had one problem, it was a machine in the
    domain, it would BSOD each time we applied the SP, but, starting the
    machine in SAFE MODE let us install SP2 and it's worked fine since.

    I took a brand-new Toshiba P25-S526, wiped and installed XP Prof, loaded
    all drivers, all MS Office apps, checked that everything was working,
    installed SP2, and it's still working.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Aug 18, 2004

  3. johns

    phoenix Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:51:42 -0700, johns wrote:

    > We need the security, but what a pig !!!! I've tested it
    > twice now, and both times it dragged my PC down
    > to a crawl. Only save was to re-image the entire drive.
    > I put it on two different computers, and both showed
    > the extreme slowdown. Co-worker got the same
    > effect. I also hear that it is blocking hardware access,
    > and is incompatible with many drivers ... deletes them.
    > The real thing is due out soon. I wonder what is the
    > best way to be "secure" from SP2 ?
    >
    > johns

    The 'real thing', as you put it, is already out (although release by
    auto-update has been delayed) and I've applied it to six PCs here without
    problems.

    Regards

    Bill

    phoenix, Aug 18, 2004
  4. johns

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:55:09 GMT, phoenix
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:51:42 -0700, johns wrote:
    >
    >> We need the security, but what a pig !!!! I've tested it
    >> twice now, and both times it dragged my PC down
    >> to a crawl. Only save was to re-image the entire drive.
    >> I put it on two different computers, and both showed
    >> the extreme slowdown. Co-worker got the same
    >> effect. I also hear that it is blocking hardware access,
    >> and is incompatible with many drivers ... deletes them.
    >> The real thing is due out soon. I wonder what is the
    >> best way to be "secure" from SP2 ?
    >>
    >> johns

    >The 'real thing', as you put it, is already out (although release by
    >auto-update has been delayed) and I've applied it to six PCs here without
    >problems.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Bill

    I assume this is the XP sp2 - where does one get it as I have a number
    of machines to do and running the update over the net for each is
    very tedious.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 18, 2004
  5. johns

    phoenix Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:33:46 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:55:09 GMT, phoenix
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:51:42 -0700, johns wrote:
    >>
    >>> We need the security, but what a pig !!!! I've tested it
    >>> twice now, and both times it dragged my PC down
    >>> to a crawl. Only save was to re-image the entire drive.
    >>> I put it on two different computers, and both showed
    >>> the extreme slowdown. Co-worker got the same
    >>> effect. I also hear that it is blocking hardware access,
    >>> and is incompatible with many drivers ... deletes them.
    >>> The real thing is due out soon. I wonder what is the
    >>> best way to be "secure" from SP2 ?
    >>>
    >>> johns

    >>The 'real thing', as you put it, is already out (although release by
    >>auto-update has been delayed) and I've applied it to six PCs here without
    >>problems.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Bill

    > I assume this is the XP sp2 - where does one get it as I have a number
    > of machines to do and running the update over the net for each is
    > very tedious.

    Yes, I did mean XP SP2. The network version is available for download from
    here http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Regards

    Bill

    phoenix, Aug 18, 2004
  6. johns

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    _way says...
    [snip]

    > I assume this is the XP sp2 - where does one get it as I have a number
    > of machines to do and running the update over the net for each is
    > very tedious.

    Jim, you can download it from the ISO images at MS MSDN download section
    for MSDN Subscribers. I would not trust downloading it from anywhere
    else.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Aug 18, 2004
  7. johns

    Mike Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:55:09 GMT, phoenix
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:51:42 -0700, johns wrote:
    >>

    >>>We need the security, but what a pig !!!! I've tested it
    >>>twice now, and both times it dragged my PC down
    >>>to a crawl. Only save was to re-image the entire drive.
    >>>I put it on two different computers, and both showed
    >>>the extreme slowdown. Co-worker got the same
    >>>effect. I also hear that it is blocking hardware access,
    >>>and is incompatible with many drivers ... deletes them.
    >>>The real thing is due out soon. I wonder what is the
    >>>best way to be "secure" from SP2 ?
    >>>
    >>>johns

    >>The 'real thing', as you put it, is already out (although release by
    >>auto-update has been delayed) and I've applied it to six PCs here without
    >>problems.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Bill

    > I assume this is the XP sp2 - where does one get it as I have a number
    > of machines to do and running the update over the net for each is
    > very tedious.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Apologies in advance........

    Strangely enough there is a link to it right on the front page of
    www.microsoft.com. Bet you never thought of looking there eh? :)

    A more direct link to Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation
    Package for IT Professionals and Developers:-

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Please note that this version is for IT Professionals however ;-)

    Mike, Aug 18, 2004
  8. johns

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:11:45 +0100, Mike <>
    wrote:
    <snip>

    >Strangely enough there is a link to it right on the front page of
    >www.microsoft.com. Bet you never thought of looking there eh? :)

    No because the full versions are usually cunningly hidden

    >Please note that this version is for IT Professionals however ;-)

    Oh, I got a MBCS certificate in 1973, does that count ?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 18, 2004
  9. johns

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I've upgraded two personal PC's at home, with SP2, with no ill effects. I
    had to install a few patches for NERO 6, but that was it!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 19, 2004
  10. johns

    johns Guest

    > I've upgraded two personal PC's at home, with SP2, with no ill effects. I
    > had to install a few patches for NERO 6, but that was it!

    Stuff runs OK .... just I see a slow down that really bothers me.
    I don't have figures for how much yet because I backed out.
    Of course I'm talking about the beta .. not the real SP2. I noticed
    today, that Microsoft has quite pushing SP2 versions of its updates.
    Seems they had planned to give us SP2 that way, a bit at a time
    too. Fine with me, but ZDNET is really squawking not to do it.
    IBM backed out too. I think the problem might be corrupting
    downloads as much as anything, and they are going to do that
    better.

    johns

    johns, Aug 19, 2004
  11. johns

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Your system has bigger issues thatn SP2, if that is what really happened.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 23, 2004