    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    > It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    heh, it finished faster than I thought, so it's there now.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:57:05 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >> It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    > heh, it finished faster than I thought, so it's there now.

    Saw this on another ng.

    "Because it was created by the same dumbfucks who brought you Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 RC2 (wrecks 3 out of 5 installations!) that's why. :-\"

    Mind you it was on alt.drugs.pot, but I still wouldn't mind knowing if
    there is any truth in it before I get it.

    cheers
    Warwick, Aug 9, 2004
  4. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >
    > It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    I'm waiting for a month before installing .. to see what breaks for
    people.
    wogers nemesis, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    > says...
    > > ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    > >
    > > It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.
    > >

    > I'm waiting for a month before installing .. to see what breaks for
    > people.

    Indeed.

    The early bird "may catch the worm" - but the smart bird hangs back and sees
    if the worm is carrying toxic side affects.

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Warwick wrote:
    >>>~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >>>It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    >>heh, it finished faster than I thought, so it's there now.

    > Saw this on another ng.
    > "Because it was created by the same dumbfucks who brought you Windows XP
    > Service Pack 2 RC2 (wrecks 3 out of 5 installations!) that's why. :-\"

    heh, I must have done the three that didn't have any problems at all,
    luky I didnt do two more. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Route Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:44:05 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >
    > It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    Are you sure you have the final version?

    An article in th Nz Herald says the release has been delayed at the last
    minute due to quality problems.

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3582846
    Route, Aug 9, 2004
  8. Route wrote:
    >>~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >>It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    > Are you sure you have the final version?

    yep... right size, right md5, right digital sig.
    incidentally I've taken the link off, and am rate limiting it as it
    seems to be generating a tad too much traffic at the moment for my liking.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Route" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:44:05 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    > >
    > > It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    > Are you sure you have the final version?
    >
    > An article in th Nz Herald says the release has been delayed at the last
    > minute due to quality problems.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3582846

    Hmmm, interesting.

    The moral to the story is only DL the product from the official (MS) source
    if you want to be sure you've got the real mccoy.

    BTW, no offence Dave, but experience has taught me that DL'ing from
    unofficial sources can (sometimes) be hazardous to your health :)

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 9, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Route Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:19:08 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Route wrote:
    >>>~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >>>It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    >> Are you sure you have the final version?

    > yep... right size, right md5, right digital sig.
    > incidentally I've taken the link off, and am rate limiting it as it
    > seems to be generating a tad too much traffic at the moment for my liking.

    So that article is incorrect?
    Route, Aug 9, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:31:29 +1200, Warwick
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:57:05 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >>> It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.

    >> heh, it finished faster than I thought, so it's there now.

    >Saw this on another ng.
    >
    >"Because it was created by the same dumbfucks who brought you Windows XP
    >Service Pack 2 RC2 (wrecks 3 out of 5 installations!) that's why. :-\"
    >
    >Mind you it was on alt.drugs.pot, but I still wouldn't mind knowing if
    >there is any truth in it before I get it.

    There's a lot of people out there who have been running RC2 quite
    happily, but in any case RC2 was beta software not RTM.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    PseUDO Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:31:29 +1200, Warwick
    > <> wrote:

    >>>heh, it finished faster than I thought, so it's there now.

    >>Saw this on another ng.
    >>
    >>"Because it was created by the same dumbfucks who brought you Windows XP
    >>Service Pack 2 RC2 (wrecks 3 out of 5 installations!) that's why. :-\"
    >>
    >>Mind you it was on alt.drugs.pot, but I still wouldn't mind knowing if
    >>there is any truth in it before I get it.
    >>

    > There's a lot of people out there who have been running RC2 quite
    > happily, but in any case RC2 was beta software not RTM.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yep no problems with RC2 on 3 PC's that i have installed it on over the
    last month, very stable, nothing broken, plenty of improvement in the
    security side of things, and best of all, no patches to download from
    windows update v5-although things will change from here on in!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Aug 9, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    Hi,

    There have been a lot of press articles around the world saying such things
    and worse. They are bascially printing old old old misreported bad news. I
    read it yesterday and nearly fell over laughing... They are also not quoting
    reliable sources. In some cases (in such articles) they are quoting someone
    else that was quoting / reporting someone that had no authority to make
    statements.

    SP2 has never been delayed. It has always been stated that it will be
    available Mid some year (I thing they said 2004).

    Anyway *DAVE* it is not available yet to the general public yet - unless you
    are lucky enough to know someone that has access to MSDN subscriber
    downloads or a few other valid sources. There have been several versions
    floating around that claim to be SP2 *the real thing* and have been for
    example RC2 German or something like that. So be careful. You do not want to
    install someone elses hacked distribution.

    In short, if you are not getting the download from Microsoft, then be
    suspicious of it - MD5 or not.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 9, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    wogers nemesis <> wrote:

    >In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    >says...
    >> ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    >>
    >> It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.
    >>

    >I'm waiting for a month before installing .. to see what breaks for
    >people.

    I suspect that there are allot of Win XP machines out there who have
    auto download and install set as default. Wonder how many will be
    broke after.. Cash cow for the PC service companies????
    Mutlley, Aug 9, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Disco Stu Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > "Because it was created by the same dumbfucks who brought you Windows XP
    > Service Pack 2 RC2 (wrecks 3 out of 5 installations!) that's why. :-\"

    I think that was from a slash dot piece.

    I have not been able to replicate the 40% failure rate claimed. In
    fact, my testing with RC2 showed a 0% failure rate.
    Disco Stu, Aug 9, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    Just a quick note.

    One of the biggest causes for failures that I have heard of is installing
    SP2 on systems that are infected with virus and spyware. Next would be
    flakey hardware...

    If you are going to install SP2, then do a thorough virus scan and spyware
    check then install it.

    Do not expect SP2 to fix already broken systems.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 9, 2004
  17. In article <>, mutley200
    @hotmail.com says...
    > wogers nemesis <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    > >says...
    > >> ~45 mins and you can get it from my site.
    > >>
    > >> It's on a 2Mbit connection, so it may be a tad slow for some.
    > >>

    > >I'm waiting for a month before installing .. to see what breaks for
    > >people.

    > I suspect that there are allot of Win XP machines out there who have
    > auto download and install set as default. Wonder how many will be
    > broke after.. Cash cow for the PC service companies????

    Even if it is set to auto you still have to give permission for SP2 to be
    installed.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 10, 2004
  18. Mutlley <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >I'm waiting for a month before installing .. to see what breaks for
    > >people.

    Its only been in beta for near on a year...

    > I suspect that there are allot of Win XP machines out there who have
    > auto download and install set as default. Wonder how many will be

    Yes it will (eventually) auto download, it won't auto install though.
    The user will need to agree to the EULA license, and also need to be
    an administrator.

    > broke after.. Cash cow for the PC service companies????

    Maybe? but you could argue so that is regularly getting infected by
    spyware, adware and viruses on a XP machine without SP2. XPSP2 has
    System Restore on by default so if something does go wrong in the SP2
    install you can rollback

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 10, 2004
  19. PseUDO <> wrote in message news:<WpGRc.2446$>...
    > Yep no problems with RC2 on 3 PC's that i have installed it on over the
    > last month, very stable, nothing broken, plenty of improvement in the
    > security side of things, and best of all, no patches to download from
    > windows update v5-although things will change from here on in!.

    You need to upgrade from RC2 to the RTM version. Although RC2 is not
    vulnerable to most of the XPSP0 and SP1 vulns, it is vuln to the
    recent MS04-025 IE vulns

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 10, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    PseUDO Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > PseUDO <> wrote in message news:<WpGRc.2446$>...
    >
    >>Yep no problems with RC2 on 3 PC's that i have installed it on over the
    >>last month, very stable, nothing broken, plenty of improvement in the
    >>security side of things, and best of all, no patches to download from
    >>windows update v5-although things will change from here on in!.

    > You need to upgrade from RC2 to the RTM version. Although RC2 is not
    > vulnerable to most of the XPSP0 and SP1 vulns, it is vuln to the
    > recent MS04-025 IE vulns
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Yep i'll slipstream it in like i did RC2, and then do a clean install.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Aug 10, 2004