SP2- anyone?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nowhere, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Nowhere

    Nowhere Guest

    Who hasn't installed SP2, like me? And why?


    ---

    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.778 / Virus Database: 525 - Release Date: 15/10/2004
     
    Nowhere, Oct 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nowhere

    Scribner Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:16:10 +0100, "Nowhere"
    <> wrote:

    >Who hasn't installed SP2, like me? And why?
    >
    >
    >---
    >
    >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >Version: 6.0.778 / Virus Database: 525 - Release Date: 15/10/2004
    >

    Fear & loathing?
     
    Scribner, Oct 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nowhere

    Ionizer Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    news:cl4vrg$gt8$...
    > Who hasn't installed SP2, like me? And why?


    I haven't, and neither have many others. Microsoft obviously realizes
    this, as they continue to create SP1-compatible patches.

    A recent PC World survey (article dated Oct 20) indicates that 38% of
    respondents have yet to install SP2:
    http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,117990,pg,2,00.asp

    Just a few weeks ago I created a Ghost image of my system in preparation
    for applying SP2, but I have yet to take the plunge. I guess I keep
    waiting to see if MS will release a modified version of SP2, or if they
    will begin to release patches which require SP2.

    --
    Ian.
     
    Ionizer, Oct 20, 2004
    #3
  4. Nowhere

    Nowhere Guest

    Me too!!

    It is nice of microsoft to supply us with more SP1 patches. Apart from the
    updated firewall and so called pop-up blocker, I can't see any point!!


    ---

    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.779 / Virus Database: 526 - Release Date: 19/10/2004
     
    Nowhere, Oct 20, 2004
    #4
  5. Nowhere

    Stevo Guest

    Nowhere wrote:
    > Who hasn't installed SP2, like me? And why?
    >

    <<snip invalid sig - you should turn the feature off>>

    I'm sort of half and half, having put SP2 on 4 out of 15 machines, and
    some users have installed it them selves so a total of 7 with SP2.

    The firewall/security centre is quite easily configured to suit how you
    want to run.. in most cases I have disabled it - the firewall doesn't
    seem to stop those pesky ET progams, so I prefer at least Zonealarm on
    each machine. The various networks are also provided via hardware
    modems/routers.

    Some users have commented that some of the new security measures take
    away 'usuability' such as not displaying images in OE email messages
    (and also binary newsgroups posts I am told) if 'plain text" is the
    preferred option (and it is what I recommend). There is a hotkey
    workaround but it isn't always convenient

    The security feature doesn't seem to like Norton Antivirus - Symantec
    and Microsoft offer differing opions on this - but Zone Alarm seems to
    be quite happy with NAV? Most NAV installs are Systemworks 2003 Pro and
    manually updated every day (definitions and updates) - the users are
    pretty well trained. Again, the Window Security Centre can be set to
    not report on it and NAV seems to function and update OK.

    Overall, I would say SP2 has caused some operational issues, but mostly
    are provided by a different process than before. And it is worth the
    time sorting out the Security Centre which is enabled by default. I have
    yet to get into the wireless side.. but will have to soon.

    At least with continuing patches for non SP2 machines, those who want to
    stay with SP1 can.. there doesn't seem to be any major conflicts
    between them.. No complaits or even comments about speed etc.. which
    would indicate most of the applications (common business apps) are
    working fine..

    Just my take on it, so far...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
     
    Stevo, Oct 20, 2004
    #5
  6. Nowhere

    Classic 42 Guest

    I have installed SP2 0n my XP Home with complete
    success.....but.....................................

    I installed the latest Microsoft updates on my Win 98(2) machine and the
    updates have completely b......d the system. To such an extent that I fear I
    must re-format. Ugh!! All those progs.
    Keep getting 'This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
    unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more
    information.'
    If any knowledgable person could tell me how to get out of this fix I would
    be grateful.

    Cheers
    Classic
     
    Classic 42, Oct 20, 2004
    #6
  7. Nowhere

    Dodo Guest

  8. Nowhere

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    news:cl4vrg$gt8$...
    > Who hasn't installed SP2, like me? And why?


    The laptop has SP2, but the desktops don't. I installed it on one and took
    it back out again as the system ground to a halt - Athlon XP 2800+, 1 GB
    memory, GeForce4 Ti 4200 8X and 2*160 GB SATA drives should not be slow for
    anything. Defragging the disk didn't really change things. The XP 64 bit
    version doesn't have SP2 available last time I checked - but this machine
    normally runs Win2K.

    Dan





    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Oct 21, 2004
    #8
  9. Nowhere

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    news:4176438a$0$20128$...

    > Some users have commented that some of the new security measures take
    > away 'usuability' such as not displaying images in OE email messages
    > (and also binary newsgroups posts I am told) if 'plain text" is the
    > preferred option (and it is what I recommend). There is a hotkey
    > workaround but it isn't always convenient


    Yeah, you have to have "display as messges as plain text" turned off to see
    an image, even if there is no HTML in the message. If not, you have to open
    the attachment

    Then, with "plain text" turned off, you have to tell OE to ignore web bugs,
    though MS seem not to have grasped the fact that I like plain text, and
    don't want email text of varying sizes, colours, fonts etc.

    Dan





    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Oct 21, 2004
    #9
  10. Nowhere

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Classic 42" <> wrote in message
    news:cl626a$sqj$...

    > If any knowledgable person could tell me how to get out of this fix I

    would
    > be grateful.


    http://www.debian.org





    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Oct 21, 2004
    #10
  11. Nowhere

    Stevo Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    > news:4176438a$0$20128$...
    >
    >> Some users have commented that some of the new security measures take
    >> away 'usuability' such as not displaying images in OE email messages
    >> (and also binary newsgroups posts I am told) if 'plain text" is the
    >> preferred option (and it is what I recommend). There is a hotkey
    >> workaround but it isn't always convenient

    >
    > Yeah, you have to have "display as messges as plain text" turned off
    > to see an image, even if there is no HTML in the message. If not, you
    > have to open the attachment
    >
    > Then, with "plain text" turned off, you have to tell OE to ignore web
    > bugs, though MS seem not to have grasped the fact that I like plain
    > text, and don't want email text of varying sizes, colours, fonts etc.
    >


    Alt Shift H displays the images on a per message basis..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
     
    Stevo, Oct 21, 2004
    #11
  12. Nowhere

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    news:4178192f$0$10348$...
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    > > "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    > > news:4176438a$0$20128$...
    > >
    > >> Some users have commented that some of the new security measures take
    > >> away 'usuability' such as not displaying images in OE email messages
    > >> (and also binary newsgroups posts I am told) if 'plain text" is the
    > >> preferred option (and it is what I recommend). There is a hotkey
    > >> workaround but it isn't always convenient

    > >
    > > Yeah, you have to have "display as messges as plain text" turned off
    > > to see an image, even if there is no HTML in the message. If not, you
    > > have to open the attachment
    > >
    > > Then, with "plain text" turned off, you have to tell OE to ignore web
    > > bugs, though MS seem not to have grasped the fact that I like plain
    > > text, and don't want email text of varying sizes, colours, fonts etc.
    > >

    >
    > Alt Shift H displays the images on a per message basis..


    Without SP2, merely selecting the message shows it.

    Dan





    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Oct 22, 2004
    #12
  13. Nowhere

    Dodo Guest

    In OE Security Options there is an option to block external content.
     
    Dodo, Oct 22, 2004
    #13
  14. Nowhere

    Fred Guest

    > In OE Security Options there is an option to block external content.

    There is an option to block external content? Shit, eh.
     
    Fred, Oct 22, 2004
    #14
  15. Nowhere

    Stevo Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    > news:4178192f$0$10348$...
    >> Dan Evans wrote:
    >>> "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:4176438a$0$20128$...
    >>>
    >>>> Some users have commented that some of the new security measures
    >>>> take away 'usuability' such as not displaying images in OE email
    >>>> messages (and also binary newsgroups posts I am told) if 'plain
    >>>> text" is the preferred option (and it is what I recommend). There
    >>>> is a hotkey workaround but it isn't always convenient
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, you have to have "display as messges as plain text" turned off
    >>> to see an image, even if there is no HTML in the message. If not,
    >>> you have to open the attachment
    >>>
    >>> Then, with "plain text" turned off, you have to tell OE to ignore
    >>> web bugs, though MS seem not to have grasped the fact that I like
    >>> plain text, and don't want email text of varying sizes, colours,
    >>> fonts etc.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Alt Shift H displays the images on a per message basis..

    >
    > Without SP2, merely selecting the message shows it.
    >
    > Dan
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ................................................................
    > Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    > >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    > -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-


    Yes, I know.. but with SP2, the keyboard shortcut allows access on a
    per message basis.

    The apparent loss of image viewing is the major user gripe I am getting
    lately...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
     
    Stevo, Oct 22, 2004
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SwissTony

    XP SP2 (Release Candidate 2) anyone running it yet?

    SwissTony, Jun 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    445
    David Griffin
    Jun 26, 2004
  2. Father Jack Hackett
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,145
  3. Yogi

    Novell Client 4.92 SP2 and Windows XP SP2

    Yogi, Jul 21, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    5,057
    Toolman Tim
    Jul 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmFja04=?=

    MDAC 2.8 SP2 for W2K3 R2 x64 SP2

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja04=?=, Jun 4, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,896
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Jun 7, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QmrDuHJu?=

    Adminpak SP2 , Windows Server x64 SP2

    =?Utf-8?B?QmrDuHJu?=, Aug 29, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,581
    =?Utf-8?B?QmrDuHJu?=
    Sep 3, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page