    once, I wanted to play shy - any particular traps to watch for? Any words of
    caution?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Apr 9, 2007

  2. Tony Sperling

    Kue2 Guest

    Applied fine to my system no problems

    Kue2, Apr 9, 2007

  3. I slipstreamed SP2 into x64. Works fine.
    I also installed the Swedish MUI, IE7 x64 MUI and WMP 11 x64 language pack.
    It´s all in Swedish or English.

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Core 2 Extreme X6800

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Tony Sperling

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 02:46:45 +0200, "Tony Sperling"
    <> wrote:

    >As usual, some are reporting severe headache from the installation. For
    >once, I wanted to play shy - any particular traps to watch for? Any words of
    >caution?

    Apart from the error I had that it didn't want to install because of the
    cryptographic services not running, after that the installation was
    flawless. And that happened on 1 of 8 machines, so statistically, your
    chance is 12.5% for this to happen to you as well :))

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Actually - after your timely intervention, that risk percentage is now much
    closer to Zero!

    Thanks, Jud!

    And Thanks everyone!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Tony:
    No problems on two different PC's after installing SP2
    NForce3 250 with ATI1600Pro
    NForce4 with NV7600GT
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Installed on all my clients that aren't running Vista. Not going anywhere
    NEAR my server. (Which is running SBS 2k3 SP1 R2.) So far no pain on the
    clients, except for the one machine that had been running the beta. That was
    a nuisance, since I wanted to get the beta off before the real one was put
    on. A few hiccups, but they were minor.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 9, 2007
  8. Tony Sperling

    Theo Guest

    I have installed SP2 on both of my systems with Win XP Pro
    x64 and have not encountered any problems with either one of
    them.

    One system has an Asus A8V motherboard and the other has a
    MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard. Both boards are socket 939 with
    Via K8T800Pro chips.

    Theo, Apr 9, 2007
  9. Tony Sperling

    Guest

    On Apr 8, 5:46 pm, "Tony Sperling" <>
    wrote:
    > As usual, some are reporting severe headache from the installation. For
    > once, I wanted to play shy - any particular traps to watch for? Any words of
    > caution?
    >
    > Tony. . .

    No problems. It solved my problem with Adobe Photoshop and Open
    Office, which I suspect was related to opening large scratch files.
    , Apr 9, 2007
  10. The installation went without a hitch, remains to be seen if I'll notice any
    improvements - so far I managed to install the MIDI Port (wich I cannot use)
    but no sight of the Game Port yet (wich I could've used. (same device!))

    Again - thanks to everyone!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 9, 2007
  11. Tony:
    I didn't try the MIDI port (last time I did it I as soft of 15 years
    younger) but on XP x64 MS installs a dummy driver for the Gameport.
    You will not see the exclamation mark (if the port is enabled in BIOS) but
    the port is still useless.
    There is people that sells Gameport to USB adaptors but I have not
    investigated the subject.
    My elder son, the FSX one, switched to USB joysticks.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 10, 2007
  12. Ah, yes - this is XP, and I've tried one converter/adapter but the Game
    driver has changed enough from Win2K that the buttons cannot be configured
    through it. I have heard of the concept before and are keeping my eyes open
    for other more [adaptable] adapters. I do have a USB stick that is working
    reasonably well with FS but it is totally useless with the racing sim's
    (GTR2 & Colin McRae), the new version of GTR, and the patch for CMR is
    running fine on XP x64 but only the Sidewinder has the feel and distinction
    to be of any use.

    I have decided to buy a wheel but the price is horrendous (400 - 500 bucks,
    sigh!), if it's as good as they say I will forget about that in a fortnight,
    add TrackIR and we are bordering a small fortune.

    Fortunately, my bankmanager is a really small guy!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 10, 2007
  13. It hosed my system with a BSOD--scroll down to the thread entitled "x64 SP2
    released" below, started on 3/13. Some suspected a compatibility problem
    with an Nvidia driver, though I couldn't confirm with any fair amount of
    certainty.

    Ultimately, I'd still do it--I hadn't rebuilt that machine in nearly a year.
    I just didn't appreciate the unexpected down time.
    Homer J. Simpson, Apr 10, 2007
  14. Well I dug out my old copy of XP x64 "evaluation" because I had a spare box I
    could install it on. (Asus A8R-MVP, 1gb mushkin, athlon 64 3200, WD PATA)
    It installs fine and accepts all the drivers I throw at it etc.
    But windows update and SP2 both dont work. Update just doesnt work.
    SP2 kills the install. It either gives me a NTLDR missing or most recently
    it would get me to the logon prompt, authenticate, then go right back to the
    logon prompt. Not a bad psswd issue, I tried that and it fails a bad psswd
    correctly.
    Well working on the 4th try.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2FsYXZlcmFz?=, Apr 13, 2007
  15. Yes, this is actually well known. The Beta's and the 'preview' didn't accept
    upgrades, the 'Trial' did - except that one had a 'time-bomb' instead.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 13, 2007
  16. Let me be the one to spoil the party...

    Executive summary: SP2 made my perfectly stable system unuable.

    Here's what happend:
    1. Downloaded SP2 from the MS website. (I got the full download as I don't
    want to do the download through MS Update every time I reinstall my machine.)
    2. Installed the update. No errors given.
    3. Rebooted the machine.
    4. As soon as the initial Windows screen comes up, I get a blue screen.
    5. Rebooted in safe mode.
    6. Again a blue screen.
    7. Repaired installation from original CD.
    8. Tried again, but same problem.

    Fantastic job by Microsoft!
    =?Utf-8?B?U3Zlbg==?=, Apr 22, 2007
  17. Tony Sperling

    David Craig Guest

    And this has something to do with 64-bit how? Always slipstream and
    reinstall for service packs if you want it to work.

    David Craig, Apr 22, 2007
  18. That is one way, but I simply uninstalled the RC and installed the final and
    all has worked just fine. I am not having issues with SP2. I think Sven's
    issue is strictly a local machine problem.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 22, 2007
  19. Good to see you back on the surface, Colin!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Apr 22, 2007
  20. Thanks, Tony! I had some convalescing to do. Feeling a lot better.

    I am only posting in here and the virtual machine groups now. I just said
    To Hell with the trolls in the vista.general group. I can't handle the
    group of anti-MS/anti-MVP trolls that have overrun that ng in the last
    couple of months. I don't even subscribe to the Vista ng's anymore.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 22, 2007