    Would hate to have PC run even slower ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Jan 13, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Shawna Heath Guest

    Robert11 <> wrote in message
    news:gki4rp$31d$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Regarding SP 2:
    >
    > Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.
    >
    > PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.
    >
    > Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?
    > Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?
    >
    > Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?
    >
    > How important is SP3 ?
    > Would hate to have PC run even slower ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    Forget it until or unless you really think you need it. Go read up on it you
    lazy fuckster.

    Shawna Heath, Jan 13, 2009

  3. Robert11

    chisv Guest

    Robert11 <> wrote in message

    > Hello,

    Goodbye!

    *PLONK*

    chisv, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Robert11

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, Robert11 Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > Hello,
    >
    > Regarding SP 2:
    >
    > Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.
    >
    > PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.
    >
    > Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?
    > Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?
    >
    > Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?
    >
    > How important is SP3 ?
    > Would hate to have PC run even slower ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    After installing anything this large it might be a good idea to hold
    PM on the computer to speed it back up. Do the same thing after SP3.
    Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Robert11

    elaich Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in news:gki4rp$31d$1
    @news.motzarella.org:

    > PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.

    It is time for you to back up your data, wipe the disk and start fresh,
    including all the updates, many of which are critical. We had a similar
    situation with the computer at work. The registry gets so full of crap over
    the years that the only solution is to start fresh.

    It was taking this computer 3 -4 minutes to boot up. Now, it takes 30
    seconds.

    elaich, Jan 13, 2009
  6. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Regarding SP 2:
    >
    > Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.
    >
    > PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.
    >
    > Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?

    SP2 or SP3?
    Anyways .... your PC has accumulated a truckload
    of %windir%\$NtUninstal* entries, probably as much %windir%\temp junk
    and - unless regularly (every other month or so) defragged, it will be
    heavily fragmented as well.
    Not to forget, 6 years is a good lifetime for a harddrive. Sometimes
    (then consider yourself lucky) you may notice significant slowdown
    before a drive dies, due to DMA failure. Other times it just quits
    before you had chances to backup.
    Not to forget possible malware infestations as a cause for the slowdown.

    And no, the registry may grow and enlarge bootup time a little bit, but
    it will not make the pc run noticeably slower. Do not fiddle with that
    one.

    > Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?

    If you have less than 1G of ram, add some. It is cheap these days.

    > Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?

    Since most security updates rely upon SP2, your PC has been almost naked
    for quite a while now.

    > How important is SP3 ?

    Not *that* much yet, but it adds extra protection amongst bugfixes.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 14, 2009