    and laptop. Now I'm worried about installing it at all. Has anyone
    successfully managed to retain their networking capability after installing
    SP2?
    Steve Richards, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Steve Richards

    Txl Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:00:29 +0100, Steve Richards
    <> wrote:

    > Okay, have just read some of your messages before installing SP2 on my PC
    > and laptop. Now I'm worried about installing it at all. Has anyone
    > successfully managed to retain their networking capability after
    > installing
    > SP2?

    Nope, I just got back my "normal" network, but WIFI is still down....

    Better stick with SP1, good AV (etrust), good firewall (outpost), good
    browser (opera) and you'll be quite safe already, on top of this if you
    add mailwasher and spybot I don't see what SP2 can bring to you other than
    problems (at least that's what it did for me)

    --
    Email contact

    http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa
    Txl, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Steve Richards

    Eric Graham Guest

    I have installed SP2 on a laptop running wireles, and have had no problems.

    Eric Graham, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Steve Richards

    Lance Guest

    Go through this checklist, do what it says:

    If your system is clean and without remnants of virus/adware/spyware
    infections the update will go smoothly. I've done 6 so far (XP Home/Pro,
    wired/wireless). My biggest problem was having to reinstall Cisco VPN on
    two of them and open up ports in the firewall for my remote control
    software.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Steve Richards

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:00:29 +0100, "Steve Richards" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >Okay, have just read some of your messages before installing SP2 on my PC
    >and laptop. Now I'm worried about installing it at all. Has anyone
    >successfully managed to retain their networking capability after installing
    >SP2?

    Steve,

    A lot of folks have successfully upgraded to XP SP2. Look at how many complain,
    and compare that to the thousands of downloads daily.

    Read some of the discussions in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general and
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support. Follow their recommendations about
    preparing for the install, doing the install, and following up after the
    install.

    SP2 is NOT a bug free upgrade - no software ever is, or ever will be. But,
    considering the diversity of hardware and software running on Windows XP
    systems, it's pretty close.

    And Steve, please don't contribute to the spread and success of email address
    mining viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
    bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    internet - read this article.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Steve Richards

    Gary R. Guest

    Seven machines so far, no networking problems, few other ones. Two of them
    are laptops with wireless, which works better now than it ever has...it
    stays connected and doesn't wait for me to tell it to manually connect
    (WEP), or connect to a nearby nonsecured network like it did previously.
    The rest of the connections are wired and also had no problems.

    The most earth-shaking problems I encountered are having to update Nero
    (painless and free) and having to switch fonts for Outlook Express to get
    back the former appearance. Oh, and shut off the popup blocker since I have
    the Google toolbar and didn't need another one.

    I updated Norton AV, did a disk cleanup, ran Adaware and Spybot S&D,
    defragged, and made a Ghost backup of each machine before the upgrade. I've
    had no need for the backup, it's all worked fine.

    Gary

    Gary R., Sep 7, 2004
  7. I'd like to know more about what happens when you try to connect using WPA
    or WEP. What are the symptoms you have?
    --
    Brandy Griffin, Microsoft

    Brandy Griffin [MSFT], Sep 8, 2004
  8. Hi, here are the details
    I have a Netgear 108MBPS Router WGT624 and a Netgear 108MBPS Notebook
    adapter WG511T. Router has the latest firmware available, and the notebook
    adapter also has the latest drivers available.
    I have 2 wired computers and 1 wireless notebook. I had WPA encryption for a
    while with SP1 and it all worked fine then.
    I updated all three machines to SP2, (2 of them completely from scratch
    using a CD which I integrated with SP2).
    If I enable WPA on the notebook, and only if the notebook is on at that time
    (I use cable internet) the connection will work, with the encryption. But,
    the minute I turn any of the other computers on, I get error messages on both
    wired PC's about limited or no connection available, or something about an IP
    address conflict.
    What also happens, is that if I get no error messages at first, the minute I
    try to open the IE on any of the wired computers, then the whole connection
    drops, on all computers, and here is the weird part, The router keeps on
    rebooting constantly once the conflicts starts.
    I even returned a router to Netgear thinking it had gone bad, however, the
    new one also reacted the same way.
    I have tried both, using the windows wireless utility, or the Netgear
    utility. (installed-disabled, and completely uninstalled).
    What is also weird, is that once I enable WPA on the router, and choose WPA
    on the Netgear utility, after many scans for available networks, and it
    finally gets detected, the Netgear utility "will insist that the encryption
    is WEP, and not WPA"
    I set both WPA PSK's, but after running the network scan, the utility
    detects the network, but recognizes "WEP" security and even if I try to
    correct it manually, it will simply not detect the network anymore, and when
    it finally does find it again, well, it's back to "WEP" selection.

    =?Utf-8?B?T3Jpb24yMw==?=, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Steve Richards

    Quaoar Guest

    "Orion23" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, here are the details
    > I have a Netgear 108MBPS Router WGT624 and a Netgear 108MBPS Notebook
    > adapter WG511T. Router has the latest firmware available, and the
    > notebook
    > adapter also has the latest drivers available.
    > I have 2 wired computers and 1 wireless notebook. I had WPA encryption
    > for a
    > while with SP1 and it all worked fine then.
    > I updated all three machines to SP2, (2 of them completely from
    > scratch
    > using a CD which I integrated with SP2).
    > If I enable WPA on the notebook, and only if the notebook is on at
    > that time
    > (I use cable internet) the connection will work, with the encryption.
    > But,
    > the minute I turn any of the other computers on, I get error messages
    > on both
    > wired PC's about limited or no connection available, or something
    > about an IP
    > address conflict.
    > What also happens, is that if I get no error messages at first, the
    > minute I
    > try to open the IE on any of the wired computers, then the whole
    > connection
    > drops, on all computers, and here is the weird part, The router keeps
    > on
    > rebooting constantly once the conflicts starts.
    > I even returned a router to Netgear thinking it had gone bad, however,
    > the
    > new one also reacted the same way.
    > I have tried both, using the windows wireless utility, or the Netgear
    > utility. (installed-disabled, and completely uninstalled).
    > What is also weird, is that once I enable WPA on the router, and
    > choose WPA
    > on the Netgear utility, after many scans for available networks, and
    > it
    > finally gets detected, the Netgear utility "will insist that the
    > encryption
    > is WEP, and not WPA"
    > I set both WPA PSK's, but after running the network scan, the utility
    > detects the network, but recognizes "WEP" security and even if I try
    > correct it manually, it will simply not detect the network anymore,
    > and when
    > it finally does find it again, well, it's back to "WEP" selection.
    >
    > "Steve Richards" wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, have just read some of your messages before installing SP2 on
    >> my PC
    >> and laptop. Now I'm worried about installing it at all. Has anyone
    >> successfully managed to retain their networking capability after
    >> installing
    >> SP2?

    It might be the netgear utility. Use wireless zero (let windows manage
    this connection). Others have had to remove their utilities from device
    manager altogether to eliminate contention with WZC.

    Broadcast SSID, that often helps with problems and there is no security
    reason for not broadcasting.

    If this is a special high-speed 802.11g network, disable that feature
    until you get the system straightened out. Netgear's implementation is
    being criticized for instability on other forums.

    Make absolutely certain that the workgroup or domain is correct. Others
    have found that running the network wizard one to two times finally
    solves their connection issues - as if some registry setting is not
    being save correctly and the group name is the chief suspect.

    Try setting up static IP addresses to eliminate any DHCP issues. There
    is no real reason to use DHCP behind a router on a home network, IMO.

    Quaoar, Sep 9, 2004
  10. On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:00:29 +0100, "Steve Richards"
    <> wrote:

    >Okay, have just read some of your messages before installing SP2 on my PC
    >and laptop. Now I'm worried about installing it at all. Has anyone
    >successfully managed to retain their networking capability after installing
    >SP2?

    I have 3 machines on a home (wireless) network and look after the
    systems for a small company (7 machines on a wired network plus
    offsite laptops).

    I downloaded the 266mb install file for SP2 and put it on cd. One of
    the machines at work downloaded it via automatic updates and it
    installed without incident. I then loaded onto each of the others
    from the cd. All machines in the office retained full functionality
    afterwards. One machine took nearly three times as long to complete
    for reasons I have not yet determined (all are identical spec) but
    still completed successfully.

    At home the main box, used as a server, downloaded it via automatic
    updates when I wasn't looking. I wasn't planning to install it for a
    while as I was waiting for some other network changes to bed in first.
    But when I saw it had got it I figured I'd take the plunge.
    Installation was fine (although I ignored it's suggestion that I could
    keep working whilst it installed). Following this it re-connected to
    the wireless network without incident and with a 10% increase in
    signal strength. The other machine has not yet been done (the third
    is a 98SE box).

    My only bugbear is that Windows monitors your firewall and your AV.
    The home server has ZA and NAV installed and the resulting situation
    was a mess. NAV monitors more or less all system activity for
    viruses. ZA monitors NAV's performance and all system activity for
    security threats. Windows was also monitoring NAV's performance AND
    it was monitoring ZA's performance. It was a total case "watching us,
    watching you, watching us, watching you etc". So, before a fight
    broke out, I blindfolded Windows so it couldn't watch anything. It
    didn't like it but I felt better that my system wasn't chewing up all
    its resources with introspection!
    Simon Pleasants, Sep 9, 2004
  11. On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:37:09 -0700, "Orion23"
    <> wrote:

    >If I enable WPA on the notebook, and only if the notebook is on at that time
    >(I use cable internet) the connection will work, with the encryption. But,
    >the minute I turn any of the other computers on, I get error messages on both
    >wired PC's about limited or no connection available, or something about an IP
    >address conflict.

    No words of wisdom here, I am afraid, but a few questions relating
    specifically to the bit above. I don't understand this paragraph.
    Let me get this straight - the laptop is already on (presumably
    wireless disabled) and if you enable it the connection is made
    successfully with WPA? The message "limited or no connection
    available" refers to what, the home network or simply the internet
    connection?

    You mention cable internet - but the WGT624 is not a broadband modem,
    either cable or ADSL (to my knowledge). This means that it is not
    providing the internet connection so there must be something else
    which is? In which case, if the problem is sharing the internet then
    it could be trouble between the WGT624 and the device which provides
    the internet connection although that would not explain why SP2
    brought on the problems.

    Beyond that, I have little to suggest. I resolved conflicts between
    the Netgear GUI and WZC by uninstalling and re-installing the WG311 on
    my main box (I then subsequently swapped the device to another machine
    and replaced it with a WG311T) which also caused no conflicts with WZC
    before or after the addition of SP2.

    If you disable all encryption (as a test) does it resolve the problem?
    If you roll back to 128bit WEP instead of WPA does that resolve the
    problem? In the Netgear GUI have you saved the profile which connects
    using WPA (otherwise it defaults to WEP)? Unrelated to SP2 but have
    you checked the pool of IP addresses being used by the router - it is
    not too restrictive.... you've not got certain IP addresses reserved
    for certain MAC addresses.... DCHP is properly releasing IP addresses
    when the lease expires (typically 3 days).... ???

    Probably nothing Earth-shattering there but all things to have a play
    around with. It does sound like trial and error may be the only way
    out of this.

    Speaking personally, I found the Netgear GUI to be far superior to WZC
    under SP1 but I have not tried using it under SP2.

    Good luck!
    Simon Pleasants, Sep 9, 2004
  12. Steve Richards

    Phyllis Guest

    I installed SP2 from the CD last night on my Compaq Presario laptop without
    issue. My wireless connection started right up without a problem. I
    followed the instructions for SP2 install (things to do before and after the
    install) step by step, exactly as instructed from this link

    Phyllis, Sep 9, 2004
  13. Steve Richards

    Phyllis Guest

    And I also disable the wireless connection during the install.

    Phyllis, Sep 9, 2004