    I am not keen on running an automatic update as it looks like it will
    install WMP9 which I definitely don't want. Anyone with experience of
    this?
    GraB, Aug 10, 2004

  2. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article GraB says...
    > Got my hand on the SP1 update CD and was looking through the
    > documentation of the update files for 98SE. When I did a search for a
    > particular patch filename, most of the time it wasn't found on the CD.
    > Anyone else find that?

    If you're talking about the Security Update CD, it doesn't include all
    of the non critical updates for any OS.

    What did you find missing?

    If you search you will find the post that this list of 98 missing came
    from-
    "240075UP.EXE USB Enumeration Fix 240075
    4756US8.EXE 98SE Shutdown Supplement 239887
    - Not a consistent requirement
    243450usa8.exe Large IDE Update 243450
    242975usa8.exe IEEE 1394 Storage Supplement 242975
    260067usa8.exe Mapped Drives Shutdown 260067
    263044USA8.EXE FDISK Drives over 64G 263044
    273017usa8.exe IDE Cache Issue 273017
    crlupd.exe Cert Spoof Hazard MS01-017
    - Minor security issue. Involves two stolen Verisign certs.
    dun14-SE.exe Dial-Up Networking 1.4
    - Implements improved encryption. Adds VPN functionality.
    q329414_mdacall_x86.exe MDAC Buffer Overrun
    - Applies to IE6 under 98SE. I've never verified that it does not
    affect IE6SP1.
    msjavwu.exe JVM ByteCode Vulnerability MS03-011
    - This is unquestionably a serious vulnerability. MS makes the patch
    difficult to obtain except via the online Windows Update, and has
    extended this ridiculous policy to the Security Update CD. This
    restriction on distribution evidently derives directly from MS'
    abusive response to its legal losses to Sun; to wit, all offending
    Java implementations are dropped rather than corrected, clearly for
    the purpose of injuring Sun as much as possible. Users of IE, who
    virtually all have JVM, are the losers. MS are just lusers.
    Q832894.exe Cumulative IE Update 2 Feb 04 MS04-004
    - The CD contains the older cumulative IE patch from October 2003."
    colinco, Aug 10, 2004

  3. GraB

    theseus Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Got my hand on the SP1 update CD and was looking through the
    > documentation of the update files for 98SE. When I did a search for a
    > particular patch filename, most of the time it wasn't found on the CD.
    > Anyone else find that?
    >
    > I am not keen on running an automatic update as it looks like it will
    > install WMP9 which I definitely don't want. Anyone with experience of
    > this?

    WMP9 isn't a critical update, and its optional on Windows Update.
    theseus, Aug 10, 2004
  4. GraB

    Harry Guest

    colinco wrote:

    > In article GraB says...
    >> Got my hand on the SP1 update CD and was looking through the
    >> documentation of the update files for 98SE. When I did a search for a
    >> particular patch filename, most of the time it wasn't found on the CD.
    >> Anyone else find that?
    >>

    > If you're talking about the Security Update CD, it doesn't include all
    > of the non critical updates for any OS.
    >
    > What did you find missing?
    >
    > If you search you will find the post that this list of 98 missing came
    > from-
    > "240075UP.EXE USB Enumeration Fix 240075
    > 4756US8.EXE 98SE Shutdown Supplement 239887
    > - Not a consistent requirement
    > 243450usa8.exe Large IDE Update 243450
    > 242975usa8.exe IEEE 1394 Storage Supplement 242975
    > 260067usa8.exe Mapped Drives Shutdown 260067
    > 263044USA8.EXE FDISK Drives over 64G 263044
    > 273017usa8.exe IDE Cache Issue 273017
    > crlupd.exe Cert Spoof Hazard MS01-017
    > - Minor security issue. Involves two stolen Verisign certs.
    > dun14-SE.exe Dial-Up Networking 1.4
    > - Implements improved encryption. Adds VPN functionality.
    > q329414_mdacall_x86.exe MDAC Buffer Overrun
    > - Applies to IE6 under 98SE. I've never verified that it does not
    > affect IE6SP1.
    > msjavwu.exe JVM ByteCode Vulnerability MS03-011
    > - This is unquestionably a serious vulnerability. MS makes the patch
    > difficult to obtain except via the online Windows Update, and has
    > extended this ridiculous policy to the Security Update CD. This
    > restriction on distribution evidently derives directly from MS'
    > abusive response to its legal losses to Sun; to wit, all offending
    > Java implementations are dropped rather than corrected, clearly for
    > the purpose of injuring Sun as much as possible. Users of IE, who
    > virtually all have JVM, are the losers. MS are just lusers.
    > Q832894.exe Cumulative IE Update 2 Feb 04 MS04-004
    > - The CD contains the older cumulative IE patch from October 2003."

    Has anyone else noticed how remarkably chaotic the MS patches are?
    Not even a consistent naming scheme. And no simple map of patches
    and what their dependencies are - or what they supercede.
    I am not talking about text documents that describe patches but
    something better and more rigorous like RPMs etc.

    For all of MSs claim to be the master of all things GUI they
    haven't even produced a simple hierarchial registry of software
    patches.

    I suppose life must be bit chaotic within the MS conglomerate.
    Harry, Aug 11, 2004