SP1 beta for Vista news

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 29, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos.

    And, to head off a few of the most-obvious questions:

    No, this does not say that Vista SP1 will be available to everyone any time
    soon. A FEW brave souls will get the BETA in a "few weeks". IF all goes
    well, we all will get SP1 "in the first quarter of 2008". And, though it
    isn't mentioned in that URL, SP3 for WinXP is on a similar schedule, but I'm
    not sure if this includes WinXP x64.

    So, most of us can just relax for the next six months or so - and keep our
    Windows Update set to Automatic to get all the fixes that will be issued
    before Vista SP1 (and WinXP SP3). ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Unfortunately or fortunately, due to the poor performance of vista many have
    used the widely know update hack to obtain the download. Where can we get
    support?

    =?Utf-8?B?dHRyZW1ldGg=?=, Oct 23, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    XS11E Guest

    ttremeth <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately or fortunately, due to the poor performance of vista
    > many have used the widely know update hack to obtain the download.
    > Where can we get support?

    You can't.

    Why would anyone think a service pack will fix anything? That's NOT
    what service packs are, they simple combine all previous patches,
    updates, etc. with any additional drivers that manufacturers have
    provided to Microsoft.

    If you downloaded a beta and installed it thinking it would fix
    existing problems, you're badly mistaken.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Oct 23, 2007
  5. I actually just wanted to see how it went. Test it to see if it made an
    improvement in some of the many documents fixes found on the MS site about it.

    =?Utf-8?B?dHRyZW1ldGg=?=, Oct 23, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    XS11E Guest

    ttremeth <> wrote:

    > "XS11E" wrote:
    >
    >> ttremeth <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Unfortunately or fortunately, due to the poor performance of
    >> > vista many have used the widely know update hack to obtain the
    >> > download. Where can we get support?

    >> You can't.
    >>
    >> Why would anyone think a service pack will fix anything? That's
    >> NOT what service packs are, they simple combine all previous
    >> patches, updates, etc. with any additional drivers that
    >> manufacturers have provided to Microsoft.
    >>
    >> If you downloaded a beta and installed it thinking it would fix
    >> existing problems, you're badly mistaken.

    > I actually just wanted to see how it went. Test it to see if it
    > made an improvement in some of the many documents fixes found on
    > the MS site about it.

    You probably already had all the patches, updates, drivers, etc. if you
    kept up through Windows update. SPs usually combine all those so it's
    more convenient to do a fresh install. On very rare occasions a
    service pack will actually change things such as SP2 did for Windows XP
    but AFAIK there's nothing like that in Vista SP1.

    Anyway, it's a very early Beta so the released SP1 will probably be
    somewhat different, there's a LONG way to go before it's released.

    XS11E, Oct 23, 2007
  7. ttremeth wrote:
    > Unfortunately or fortunately, due to the poor performance of vista many have
    > used the widely know update hack to obtain the download. Where can we get
    > support?
    >
    > "R. C. White" wrote:
    >

    >> Hi, Carlos.
    >>
    >> And, to head off a few of the most-obvious questions:
    >>
    >> No, this does not say that Vista SP1 will be available to everyone any time
    >> soon. A FEW brave souls will get the BETA in a "few weeks". IF all goes
    >> well, we all will get SP1 "in the first quarter of 2008". And, though it
    >> isn't mentioned in that URL, SP3 for WinXP is on a similar schedule, but I'm
    >> not sure if this includes WinXP x64.
    >>
    >> So, most of us can just relax for the next six months or so - and keep our
    >> Windows Update set to Automatic to get all the fixes that will be issued
    >> before Vista SP1 (and WinXP SP3). ;<)
    >>
    >> RC
    >> --
    >> R. C. White, CPA
    >> San Marcos, TX
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
    >>
    >> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> For those eager, anxious, starving for SP1 news, go here:
    >>> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w...ng-the-windows-vista-service-pack-1-beta.aspx
    >>> and read all about it.
    >>> In the meantime I can live quite well with Windows Updates, provided I
    >>> exclude those ones urging me to update the NVidia drivers for my mobo
    >>> chipset.
    >>> Carlos

    I Am Very Surprised That Microsoft Would Put Windows Vista Service Pack
    One On Their Public Windows Update Download Servers, Just FYI.

    Kevin John Panzke, Oct 28, 2007