    I hope someone can help,
    Thanks,
    Richard.

    Richard Hammond, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Richard Hammond

    Jonathan Guest

    Since you have the latest BIOS, it sounds like a driver issue... especially
    since it happens when the splash screen appears. This is the point at which
    your video card's drivers "take over." Try booting into Safe Mode and
    removing/upgrading the current video driver.

    "Richard Hammond" <> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to install Windows 2000 on a PC with the Soyo SY-5SSM
    > motherboard (K6-2 500Mhz). After the first reboot in the installation
    > process, the 'starting windows 2000' progress bar 'counts' up. Just as

    the
    > Windows 2000 splash screen appears, the PC reboots - this starts an

    endless

    Jonathan, Aug 27, 2003

  3. "Jonathan" <> wrote in message
    > Since you have the latest BIOS, it sounds like a driver issue...

    especially
    > since it happens when the splash screen appears. This is the point at

    which
    > your video card's drivers "take over." Try booting into Safe Mode and
    > removing/upgrading the current video driver.

    The computer won't even boot into safe mode, or any of the options provided
    for boot in Windows 2000. This particular motherboard has onboard graphics.
    Surely at this stage, no graphics drivers will be installed - that would
    require the OS to run and me to set it up - would it not just be the generic
    driver provided by Windows?

    Thanks for your help,
    Richard.

    Richard Hammond, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Richard Hammond

    Jonathan Guest

    I think I misunderstood you the first time...
    It reboots when the splash screen comes up, not the login screen. That
    makes more sense now. So the reboot is right after the text-mode progress
    bar with the black background. Hmmm.

    Yeah if it won't boot into safe mode, that's a big problem. Can you do a
    "logged" boot, and see if it gives you any clues as to where it tanks? (Not
    that you will have easy access to the log to view it though.)

    Well I only have one other thought at the moment, but it's a little bizarre.
    :)
    My PC had its power supply go bad. And the symptom was, when the graphics
    card was put into anything other than text mode, the PC would actually shut
    off! So I could boot Linux up just fine into text mode, but if I typed
    "startx" and hit return to bring up X-Windows, the machine would power off.
    A new PS fixed that. I would think it unlikely that this is your problem,
    but it did happen to me.

    good luck,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Aug 27, 2003
  5. "Jonathan" <> wrote in message
    > I think I misunderstood you the first time...
    > It reboots when the splash screen comes up, not the login screen. That
    > makes more sense now. So the reboot is right after the text-mode progress
    > bar with the black background. Hmmm.
    >
    > Yeah if it won't boot into safe mode, that's a big problem. Can you do a
    > "logged" boot, and see if it gives you any clues as to where it tanks?

    (Not
    > that you will have easy access to the log to view it though.)
    >
    > Well I only have one other thought at the moment, but it's a little

    bizarre.
    > :)
    > My PC had its power supply go bad. And the symptom was, when the graphics
    > card was put into anything other than text mode, the PC would actually

    shut
    > off! So I could boot Linux up just fine into text mode, but if I typed
    > "startx" and hit return to bring up X-Windows, the machine would power

    off.
    > A new PS fixed that. I would think it unlikely that this is your problem,
    > but it did happen to me.
    >
    > good luck,
    > Jonathan

    I've just tried using an old PCI graphics card that I had lying around,
    instead of the onboard graphics, but I still get the same reboot. If I do a
    logged boot, how would I view the log afterwards? Can I get to it in dos,
    and if so, what would it's location be? I've heard people talk of problems
    like this related to power supplies but I can't believe this is the case as
    I've read of so many people with the same problem with the same
    motherboard - I can't believe they all have faulty power supplies?

    Is it likely to be the chipset that is at fault - it's the SiS 530 chipset.
    Is there anyway of installing the windows 2000 drivers before the first
    reboot in the Windows 2000 installation. Maybe the generic Windows 2000
    drivers it is using are causing the problem?

    Thanks for persuing this,
    Richard.

    Richard Hammond, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Richard Hammond

    Jim Turner Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:35:32 +0100, "Richard Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >I have been trying to install Windows 2000 on a PC with the Soyo SY-5SSM
    >motherboard (K6-2 500Mhz). After the first reboot in the installation
    >process, the 'starting windows 2000' progress bar 'counts' up. Just as the
    >Windows 2000 splash screen appears, the PC reboots - this starts an endless
    >loop. I've read about other people with this problem all over, but have
    >nowhere found a resolution. I have the latest bios - the conflict must
    >purely be with the motherboard.
    >
    >I have also read, in a couple of instances, that people have Windows 2000
    >installed with this motherboard - and so it would seem it is possible.
    >Maybe they have a newer version of the motherboard?
    >
    >I hope someone can help,
    >Thanks,
    >Richard.

    Have you tested your ram? memtest86 seems to work well. 2000 is hard
    picky about ram. Also, how much ram do you have? There are limits on
    what the SY5SSM can cache.

    Jim Turner, Aug 27, 2003
  7. "Jim Turner" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:35:32 +0100, "Richard Hammond"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > Have you tested your ram? memtest86 seems to work well. 2000 is hard
    > picky about ram. Also, how much ram do you have? There are limits on
    > what the SY5SSM can cache.

    Haven't tested the RAM - but will do. I only have 192mb RAM on that
    machine, which shouldn't be a problem. Again, I can't believe it is a RAM
    problem though as I have read of people with the same problem, with the same
    motherboard.

    Thanks for the input,
    Will let you know how I get on,
    Richard.

    Richard Hammond, Aug 27, 2003
  8. "Richard Hammond" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Turner" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:35:32 +0100, "Richard Hammond"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > Have you tested your ram? memtest86 seems to work well. 2000 is hard
    > > picky about ram. Also, how much ram do you have? There are limits on
    > > what the SY5SSM can cache.

    > Haven't tested the RAM - but will do. I only have 192mb RAM on that
    > machine, which shouldn't be a problem. Again, I can't believe it is a RAM
    > problem though as I have read of people with the same problem, with the

    same
    > motherboard.
    >
    > Thanks for the input,
    > Will let you know how I get on,
    > Richard.

    Decided to play around with the RAM sticks - have three 64mb ones. I took
    two out and after trying various combinations, if I put one of the RAM
    sticks in the first slot, and seat it so that it isn't fully pushed in, the
    Windows 2000 splash screen displays, and then the progress bar updates.
    Then, however, it reboots, as before (just at a later stage).

    I really have no idea where to start on fixing this. I reckon if I could
    get hold of an AGP card for the motherboard, it may fix the problem
    (installing an AGP card seems to be the only way to disable the onbaord
    video).

    I'll get bored and give up soon, I'm sure.

    Thanks,
    Richard.

    Richard Hammond, Aug 27, 2003
  9. Richard Hammond

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Richard Hammond" wrote:
    > I really have no idea where to start on fixing this. I reckon if I could
    > get hold of an AGP card for the motherboard, it may fix the problem
    > (installing an AGP card seems to be the only way to disable the onbaord
    > video).
    >
    > I'll get bored and give up soon, I'm sure.

    Go in to the BIOS and choose the "load fail safe options" and see if it starts
    up.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Aug 27, 2003
  10. "Jon Danniken" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Hammond" wrote:
    > > I really have no idea where to start on fixing this. I reckon if I

    could
    > > get hold of an AGP card for the motherboard, it may fix the problem
    > > (installing an AGP card seems to be the only way to disable the onbaord
    > > video).
    > >
    > > I'll get bored and give up soon, I'm sure.

    > Go in to the BIOS and choose the "load fail safe options" and see if it

    starts
    > up.
    >
    > Jon

    Have loaded 'setup' defaults and 'bios' defaults - under both, the
    continuous reboot occurs.

    Richard

    Richard Hammond, Aug 27, 2003
  11. Richard Hammond

    Jim Turner Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:16:11 +0100, "Richard Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jim Turner" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:35:32 +0100, "Richard Hammond"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Have you tested your ram? memtest86 seems to work well. 2000 is hard
    >> picky about ram. Also, how much ram do you have? There are limits on
    >> what the SY5SSM can cache.

    >Haven't tested the RAM - but will do. I only have 192mb RAM on that
    >machine, which shouldn't be a problem. Again, I can't believe it is a RAM
    >problem though as I have read of people with the same problem, with the same
    >motherboard.
    >
    >Thanks for the input,
    >Will let you know how I get on,
    >Richard.

    Also, try dropping it down to just 128MB Ram, as I think that
    motherboard probably didn't cach over that, and some OS installs have
    trouble with motherboards with both cached and uncached ram. Worth a
    try.

    Jim Turner, Aug 27, 2003