    I'm inSouth Africa and would like to make outgoing calls to the Uk.

    I don't care about incoming calls as I have a telephone answering
    service for this.
    pinny, Jan 15, 2006

  2. pinny

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "pinny" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Has anyone got any expereince of using VOIP over a 56k
    > modem (onspeed enhanced)
    >
    > I'm inSouth Africa and would like to make outgoing calls
    > to the Uk.
    >
    > I don't care about incoming calls as I have a telephone
    > answering service for this.

    You won't get VoIP running reliably over a dialup link. Skype has been
    known to work but I don't think all that well.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 15, 2006

  3. pinny

    Martin² Guest

    It's just possible to make it work, the trick is to set up your modem to use
    same speed both ways
    (probably 28k each way) and use GSM or iLBC codec.
    Even then it may have too many breaks to hold a conversation.
    Martin², Jan 16, 2006
  4. pinny

    pinny Guest

    Thanks for the comments, I shall try Skype

    as I said I only want it one way, outgoing
    pinny, Jan 16, 2006
  5. pinny

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "pinny" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the comments, I shall try Skype
    >
    > as I said I only want it one way, outgoing

    But presumably you want speech both ways..?! That was what he meant..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 16, 2006
  6. pinny

    pinny Guest

    But presumably you want speech both ways..?! That was what he meant..!
    ........ok that is true, I'll go off now and wipe the egg off my face
    pinny, Jan 17, 2006