    I know you can use a nokia dku-5 cable as a 3.3 volt serial port, but I
    need to get a 5v one. 3.3v one doesn't work into the device.

    Anyone know of any cellphone data cables that use 5v serial signaling?

    Richard, Jan 26, 2008

  2. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I know you can use a nokia dku-5 cable as a 3.3 volt serial port, but I
    > need to get a 5v one. 3.3v one doesn't work into the device.
    >
    > Anyone know of any cellphone data cables that use 5v serial signaling?

    Why not just use a regular USB/serial converter?

    EMB, Jan 26, 2008

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> I know you can use a nokia dku-5 cable as a 3.3 volt serial port, but
    >> I need to get a 5v one. 3.3v one doesn't work into the device.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of any cellphone data cables that use 5v serial signaling?

    > Why not just use a regular USB/serial converter?

    because that will be rs232 levels, and I need 5v ttl levels, and a
    converter between the 2 isn't inexpensive like cellphone data leads are.
    All it needs to be is the usb to serial chip with the right pins bought
    out. I possibly could modify a usb to rs232 cable but getting a mobile
    phone cable and chopping off the propriatry connector is easier.

    Richard, Jan 26, 2008
  4. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    >> Why not just use a regular USB/serial converter?

    > because that will be rs232 levels, and I need 5v ttl levels, and a
    > converter between the 2 isn't inexpensive like cellphone data leads are.
    > All it needs to be is the usb to serial chip with the right pins bought
    > out. I possibly could modify a usb to rs232 cable but getting a mobile
    > phone cable and chopping off the propriatry connector is easier.

    http://www.digitalnemesis.com/products/rlc1/

    The above link may be a cheap solution for you.

    Incidentally the horrid USB/RS232 converter I have outputs at 5v TTL
    levels. Unfortunately it has no markings and I have no idea of it's
    origins.

    EMB, Jan 26, 2008