Source for out of date CPU and question re Shuttle case and videocard

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, May 18, 2009.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Hi All,

    I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    list:
    http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    .... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?

    .... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    date as the CPU one:
    http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    find a spec with the limitations.

    Anyone have any recommendation for either a source of CPU or a model
    video card? By the way the video card would need to support component
    video out via s-video style dongle adapter and HDMI would be handy in
    future if I get a new tv.

    TIA!
    JohnO, May 18, 2009

  2. JohnO

    Me Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    > CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    > displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    > much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    > list:
    > http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76
    >
    > ... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?
    >
    > ... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    > decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    > confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    > date as the CPU one:
    > http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76
    >
    > The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    > it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    > case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    > find a spec with the limitations.

    Is this what's called a "low profile" PCIe card?
    I could use one too, I found this:
    http://pconlineshop.co.nz.219.88.24...291269&RBTid=376218abe6d8a75119d1ac647a34ec70
    Seems to be H 264, with DVI out, so with a DVI -> HDMI apapter should be
    okay if HDTV hasn't got DVI in - only HDMI.
    But from the picture here:
    http://www.powercolor.com/Global/bi...HD4300_4350_512MB_DDR2_SCS/PSD/image_a_xs.jpg
    it looks like a normal size fanless card.
    Perhaps someone else can chime in with suggestions re low profile cards,
    as searching NZ parts suppliers doesn't get many hits.

    Me, May 18, 2009

  3. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On May 18, 10:20 pm, Me <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    > > CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    > > displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    > > much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    > > list:
    > >http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    > > ... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?

    > > ... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    > > decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    > > confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    > > date as the CPU one:
    > >http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    > > The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    > > it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    > > case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    > > find a spec with the limitations.

    > Is this what's called a "low profile" PCIe card?

    AIUI low profile is just the height of the card and bracket and in
    this case, standard cards are fine for height. It's just length and
    depth that are the problem.

    > I could use one too, I found this:http://pconlineshop.co.nz.219.88.240.130.orcon.net.nz/pcshop/product_...
    > Seems to be H 264, with DVI out, so with a DVI -> HDMI apapter should be
    > okay if HDTV hasn't got DVI in - only HDMI.

    I've bought from those guys. The post sale report wasn't the greatest.

    The ATI HD cards do look pretty good as far as specs are concerned.

    JohnO, May 18, 2009
  4. JohnO

    Me Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On May 18, 10:20 pm, Me <> wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    >>> CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    >>> displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    >>> much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    >>> list:
    >>> http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76
    >>> ... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?
    >>> ... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    >>> decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    >>> confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    >>> date as the CPU one:
    >>> http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76
    >>> The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    >>> it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    >>> case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    >>> find a spec with the limitations.

    >> Is this what's called a "low profile" PCIe card?

    > AIUI low profile is just the height of the card and bracket and in
    > this case, standard cards are fine for height. It's just length and
    > depth that are the problem.

    Hmmm...
    Does this look like it would fit?
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=164

    Available from Tastech Chch ($86) - who are good to deal with from my
    past experience.
    Me, May 18, 2009
  5. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    > CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    > displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    > much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    > list:
    > http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76
    >
    > ... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?
    >
    > ... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    > decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    > confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    > date as the CPU one:
    > http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76
    >
    > The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    > it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    > case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    > find a spec with the limitations.
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendation for either a source of CPU or a model
    > video card? By the way the video card would need to support component
    > video out via s-video style dongle adapter and HDMI would be handy in
    > future if I get a new tv.

    Put in a nvidia 8500 or similar - so low power that its not a problem in
    one of those crap shuttle cases for heating and unlike ati, it actually
    delivers on the h264 acceleration promise without dicking around trying
    different drivers and codecs till you fluke on a combo that works.
    Richard, May 18, 2009
  6. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On May 18, 11:03 pm, Me <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > >> Is this what's called a "low profile" PCIe card?

    > > AIUI low profile is just the height of the card and bracket and in
    > > this case, standard cards are fine for height. It's just length and
    > > depth that are the problem.

    > Hmmm...
    > Does this look like it would fit?http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=164
    >
    > Available from Tastech Chch ($86) - who are good to deal with from my
    > past experience.

    Thanks, but the fan/heatsink looks like it will impinge on the case.
    It's a bad design in the shuttle - there's little room between the pci-
    e x16 slot and the case.
    JohnO, May 19, 2009
  7. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On May 19, 3:06 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    > > CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    > > displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    > > much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    > > list:
    > >http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    > > ... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?

    > > ... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    > > decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    > > confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    > > date as the CPU one:
    > >http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    > > The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    > > it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    > > case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    > > find a spec with the limitations.

    > > Anyone have any recommendation for either a source of CPU or a model
    > > video card? By the way the video card would need to support component
    > > video out via s-video style dongle adapter and HDMI would be handy in
    > > future if I get a new tv.

    > Put in a nvidia 8500 or similar - so low power that its not a problem in
    > one of those crap shuttle cases for heating and unlike ati, it actually
    > delivers on the h264 acceleration promise without dicking around trying
    > different drivers and codecs till you fluke on a combo that works.

    Thanks Richard - I will check them out.
    JohnO, May 19, 2009
  8. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On May 19, 12:06 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > On May 19, 3:06 am, Richard <> wrote:
    >

    > > JohnO wrote:
    > > > Hi All,

    > > > I have lying around an old Shuttle XPC, model SB83g5. This has a
    > > > CeleronD 2.8Ghz CPU which wheezes a bit and I'd like to use it for
    > > > displaying captured video including H264 which I think is asking a bit
    > > > much. So I could either put a faster CPU from this compatibility
    > > > list:
    > > >http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    > > > ... but I don't think anyone sells that old stuff anymore?

    > > > ... or perhaps put in a pci-e x15 video card that does onboard h264
    > > > decoding assistance. The trick here is getting one that fits in the
    > > > confines of the case. The video card compatibility list is as out of
    > > > date as the CPU one:
    > > >http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=76

    > > > The tricky part with the card is dimensional. It can't be too long and
    > > > it can't be too wide as there is little space between the card and the
    > > > case so big fat heatsinks or fans won't fit. Unfortunately I can't
    > > > find a spec with the limitations.

    > > > Anyone have any recommendation for either a source of CPU or a model
    > > > video card? By the way the video card would need to support component
    > > > video out via s-video style dongle adapter and HDMI would be handy in
    > > > future if I get a new tv.

    > > Put in a nvidia 8500 or similar - so low power that its not a problem in
    > > one of those crap shuttle cases for heating and unlike ati, it actually
    > > delivers on the h264 acceleration promise without dicking around trying
    > > different drivers and codecs till you fluke on a combo that works.

    > Thanks Richard - I will check them out.

    Hmm, 8500 cards seem to be getting hard to find. What about 8400's
    like this?

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=369564

    Damn they are cheap too.
    JohnO, May 19, 2009
  9. Re: Source for out of date CPU and question re Shuttle case and video card

    On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:32:19 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On May 19, 12:06 pm, JohnO <> wrote:

    >> > Put in a nvidia 8500 or similar - so low power that its not a problem in
    >> > one of those crap shuttle cases for heating and unlike ati, it actually
    >> > delivers on the h264 acceleration promise without dicking around trying
    >> > different drivers and codecs till you fluke on a combo that works.

    >> Thanks Richard - I will check them out.

    >Hmm, 8500 cards seem to be getting hard to find. What about 8400's
    >like this?
    >
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=369564
    >
    >Damn they are cheap too.

    According to these:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureVideo

    the 8400 GS will do H.264 and VC1 acceleration. I have seen a comment
    on the MythTVNZ mailing list that it does not have the better hardware
    de-interlace options that you might want. If you are sending the
    output to a TV and letting the TV's mode (720p, 1080i, ...) change
    automatically according to the source video, then the TV will do the
    de-interlace for you and that should not be a problem.

    If you have the room for the heatsinks (and enough airflow), there is
    also a silent 8400 GS card for not much more:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=369377
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=366708

    If you want to use Linux VDPAU drivers for accelerated H.264 video,
    then it is currently recommended to get a card with 512 Mibytes of
    video RAM (the second URL above). I suspect that both of those cards
    will be a little bit too big though.
    Stephen Worthington, May 19, 2009