    Resolution Expected:Unknown

    THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.

    I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    Mutlley, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Mutlley

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:36:06 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >
    >There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    >Unscheduled Event
    >Products Affected:Broadband
    >System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    >internationally)System(s)
    >Response:Intermittent
    >Current Status:Confirmed
    >Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >
    >THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >
    >I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    There was something about it on the 1pm radio news.

    GraB, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Mutlley

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:11:26 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:36:06 +1300, Mutlley <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >>
    >>There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    >>Unscheduled Event
    >>Products Affected:Broadband
    >>System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    >>internationally)System(s)
    >>Response:Intermittent
    >>Current Status:Confirmed
    >>Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >>
    >>THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >>
    >>I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    > There was something about it on the 1pm radio news.

    Im on Xtra Broadband, and Ive had one issue all day, when they changed my
    ip.
    Apart from that, situation normal, pr0n coming in at full speed :)

    Shane, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Mutlley

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >
    > There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    > Unscheduled Event
    > Products Affected:Broadband
    > System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    > internationally)System(s)
    > Response:Intermittent
    > Current Status:Confirmed
    > Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >
    > THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >
    > I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    I'm on Xtra Broadband 2 meg. No problems at all of any kind.

    Mackin.

    Mackin_NZ, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    GraB <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:36:06 +1300, Mutlley <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >>
    >>There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    >>Unscheduled Event
    >>Products Affected:Broadband
    >>System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    >>internationally)System(s)
    >>Response:Intermittent
    >>Current Status:Confirmed
    >>Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >>
    >>THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >>
    >>I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    >There was something about it on the 1pm radio news.

    Came back on at 3.30pm but no incoming email yet..

    Mutlley, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Mutlley

    Alan Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >
    > There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    > Unscheduled Event
    > Products Affected:Broadband
    > System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    > internationally)System(s)
    > Response:Intermittent
    > Current Status:Confirmed
    > Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >
    > THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >
    > I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    We're on Xtra 'full speed' (8 meg connection) and it was down
    completely until sometime between 3:30pm and 4pm.

    That's the worst outage we've ever experienced with them.

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Mutlley

    Crash Guest

    Mackin_NZ wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >

    >>Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >>
    >>There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    >>Unscheduled Event
    >>Products Affected:Broadband
    >>System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    >>internationally)System(s)
    >>Response:Intermittent
    >>Current Status:Confirmed
    >>Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >>
    >>THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >>
    >>I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    > I'm on Xtra Broadband 2 meg. No problems at all of any kind.
    >
    > Mackin.

    Me too. I work from home and would most certainly have noticed any outage.

    Crash.

    Crash, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Mutlley

    MarkH Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > Been down since 8.30 am today.
    >
    > There is currently 1 known problem with the Xtra Network
    > Unscheduled Event
    > Products Affected:Broadband
    > System(s) Affected:Traffic (hosted in NZ)Traffic (hosted
    > internationally)System(s)
    > Response:Intermittent
    > Current Status:Confirmed
    > Resolution Expected:Unknown
    >
    > THis still on Xtra's site at 1.30 PM.
    >
    > I'm doing this on a dial up thru Orcon as we are on Xtra at work.

    I visited a customer today and their internet was not working. I checked
    the router and it was connecting fine, but no web or mail at all.

    The customer is already unhappy with Xtra, so this outage came at a bad
    time. Basically the customer got charged about $1200 in excess use on full
    speed jetstream for 6.8GB traffic in one month.

    Could anyone give a reasonable estimate of the profit margin in Telecom's
    charge of $200/GB on full speed ADSL?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 2, 2005
  9. Mutlley

    Stu Fleming Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Could anyone give a reasonable estimate of the profit margin in Telecom's
    > charge of $200/GB on full speed ADSL?

    All of it.

    Stu Fleming, Dec 2, 2005
  10. Mutlley

    MarkH Guest

    Stu Fleming <> wrote in news:43909a07$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Could anyone give a reasonable estimate of the profit margin in
    >> Telecom's charge of $200/GB on full speed ADSL?

    > All of it.

    No, that can't be correct. If you take the total cost to provide bandwidth
    and divide it by the amount of bandwidth used then you have a cost. If
    more customers used more bandwidth then Telecom would have to increase the
    amount of bandwidth available to keep up, also at a cost.

    If we assume that Orcon are not going broke with their charge of $1 per GB
    and that the charge only covers the extra cost and little more, then the
    Telecom charge of $200 would be with a 20,000% margin.

    If the $200/GB was a fair price then clearly Orcon would be bankrupted by a
    handful of heavy users. In other words when someone uses 90GB with Orcon
    and gets charged $90 in excess usage fees, if Orcon had to pay anything
    like $18,000 for that traffic then they would make a staggering loss that
    would have them broke in a month or two.

    My point is this: It could not possibly cost $200/GB (breaking even) to
    provide bandwidth and it could not possibly cost $20/GB (1000% margin) and
    to be honest I doubt that it costs them $2/GB (10,000% margin). So my
    rough guestimate is that Telecom charges excess bandwidth on their full
    speed plan at 20,000% markup. I don't honestly think that should be legal,
    especially considering their monopoly position.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 2, 2005
  11. Mutlley

    Stu Fleming Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Stu Fleming <> wrote in news:43909a07$:
    >

    >>MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>>Could anyone give a reasonable estimate of the profit margin in
    >>>Telecom's charge of $200/GB on full speed ADSL?

    >>All of it.

    > No, that can't be correct. If you take the total cost to provide bandwidth
    > and divide it by the amount of bandwidth used then you have a cost. If
    > more customers used more bandwidth then Telecom would have to increase the
    > amount of bandwidth available to keep up, also at a cost.

    Slight exaggeration on my part :)

    It's very much the same situation as for text messaging.

    More to the point, is anyone going to force a claim against the 99.8%
    availability rating for Telecom broadband, accounted over 90 days?

    Stu Fleming, Dec 2, 2005

  12. >
    > If the $200/GB was a fair price then clearly Orcon would be bankrupted by
    > handful of heavy users. In other words when someone uses 90GB with Orcon
    > and gets charged $90 in excess usage fees, if Orcon had to pay anything
    > like $18,000 for that traffic then they would make a staggering loss that
    > would have them broke in a month or two.

    Most ISP's Pay a fixed price for their bandwidth, so working it out this way
    doesn't make sence.
    For example if the 1G of data was done in 1 day, rather than spread across
    the entire month then the
    1G of data costs more.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Dec 2, 2005
  13. Mutlley

    MarkH Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in

    >> If the $200/GB was a fair price then clearly Orcon would be
    >> bankrupted by a
    >> handful of heavy users. In other words when someone uses 90GB with
    >> Orcon and gets charged $90 in excess usage fees, if Orcon had to pay
    >> anything like $18,000 for that traffic then they would make a
    >> staggering loss that would have them broke in a month or two.
    >>

    > Most ISP's Pay a fixed price for their bandwidth, so working it out
    > this way doesn't make sence.
    > For example if the 1G of data was done in 1 day, rather than spread
    > across the entire month then the
    > 1G of data costs more.

    Surely that only applies if all customers use 1G in the same day?

    My understanding is that ISPs buy bandwidth based on the requirements for
    peak usage. If a customer uses 6.8GB over a month and Telecom charges that
    customer $1200 in excess usage, how much of that charge can be fairly
    justified? In other words - when a business needs faster than 128K uploads
    and has no alternative to Telecom's full speed jetstream, is it reasonable
    to charge $200 per gig?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 3, 2005
  14. > Surely that only applies if all customers use 1G in the same day?

    > My understanding is that ISPs buy bandwidth based on the requirements for
    > peak usage. If a customer uses 6.8GB over a month and Telecom charges
    > that
    > customer $1200 in excess usage, how much of that charge can be fairly
    > justified? In other words - when a business needs faster than 128K
    > uploads
    > and has no alternative to Telecom's full speed jetstream, is it reasonable
    > to charge $200 per gig?

    No Alternative to Jetstream??.. I don't believe at all that there is a place
    in NZ where you can only get Jetstream.
    There are many other alternatives.. even via Telecom they have alteratives
    to transfer data at a higher rate which cost less for a higher volume of
    data. Jetstream is only price effective up to a certain volume of traffic.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Dec 3, 2005
  15. Mutlley

    MarkH Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in

    >> Surely that only applies if all customers use 1G in the same day?
    >>
    >> My understanding is that ISPs buy bandwidth based on the requirements
    >> for peak usage. If a customer uses 6.8GB over a month and Telecom
    >> charges that
    >> customer $1200 in excess usage, how much of that charge can be fairly
    >> justified? In other words - when a business needs faster than 128K
    >> uploads
    >> and has no alternative to Telecom's full speed jetstream, is it
    >> reasonable to charge $200 per gig?
    >>

    > No Alternative to Jetstream??.. I don't believe at all that there is a
    > place in NZ where you can only get Jetstream.
    > There are many other alternatives.. even via Telecom they have
    > alteratives to transfer data at a higher rate which cost less for a
    > higher volume of data. Jetstream is only price effective up to a
    > certain volume of traffic.

    Tell that to people that are unable to find any alterative at all. By no
    alternative I mean no affordable alternative of course! I know plenty of
    people that want to pay under $200 per month and have fast internet with a
    reasonable amount of traffic.

    Of course for those that can live with a limit of 128K upstream then there
    are many good options that will fit the bill nicely. With Orcon at home I
    can use up to 150GB of traffic for under $200. Since I don't use file
    sharing I am very pleased with the performance from Orcon (like a 700MB
    Knoppix image downloaded from an Aussie FTP site in 52 minutes).

    Unfortunately there are many applications that suffer with only 128K up.
    Things like using your home internet account to remote in to work is one
    example - regardless of whether you use RDC, VNC or VPN you are going to
    have some lag with a slow connection. Changing to full speed jetsteam will
    cost a fortune after the first 600MB. A dedicated digital line will cost a
    lot to set up.

    Maybe you could explain what alternatives you are thinking of?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 3, 2005