Soundcard problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by URAQT2, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
    electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of
    it is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or
    something as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the
    media players.

    I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
    old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.

    I am using WinXP Home

    Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
    Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio

    My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
    80g C drive, 120g D drive.

    Do any of you have any advise?

    You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
    questions. Thank you very much.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Feb 27, 2005

  2. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Re: Soundcard problem - Please?

    I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
    that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
    more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.

    URAQT2 wrote:

    > Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
    > electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
    > is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
    > as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
    >
    > I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
    > old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
    >
    > I am using WinXP Home
    >
    > Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
    > Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
    >
    > My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
    > 80g C drive, 120g D drive.
    >
    > Do any of you have any advise?
    >
    > You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
    > questions. Thank you very much.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~

    -------------------------------
    For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and
    women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant
    religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and
    Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom,
    to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have
    appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the
    unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said "Think" The many
    have said "Believe!"-Robert Ingersoll, (Gods)

    Without freedom of religion and from religion there is no democracy.
    No country can exist as both a theocracy and a democracy.

    URAQT2, Feb 28, 2005

  3. URAQT2

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <> wrote:

    >I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
    >that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
    >more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
    >
    >URAQT2 wrote:
    >
    >> Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
    >> electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
    >> is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
    >> as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
    >>
    >> I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
    >> old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
    >>
    >> I am using WinXP Home
    >>
    >> Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
    >> Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
    >>
    >> My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
    >> 80g C drive, 120g D drive.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have any advise?
    >>
    >> You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
    >> questions. Thank you very much.

    The only time I had that was once when I dropped a large office chair on the
    floor beside the computer, and it crashed from the huge shock vibration! Scared
    the crap out of me!!

    But for you - check if the card is loose in the machine (power off first) - then
    try another sound card...

    Bob, Mar 1, 2005
  4. URAQT2

    Bob wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <> wrote:
    >

    >>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
    >>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
    >>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
    >>
    >>URAQT2 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
    >>>electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
    >>>is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
    >>>as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
    >>>
    >>>I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
    >>>old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
    >>>
    >>>I am using WinXP Home
    >>>
    >>>Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
    >>>Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
    >>>
    >>>My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
    >>>80g C drive, 120g D drive.
    >>>
    >>>Do any of you have any advise?
    >>>
    >>>You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
    >>>questions. Thank you very much.
    >>>

    > The only time I had that was once when I dropped a large office chair on the
    > floor beside the computer, and it crashed from the huge shock vibration! Scared
    > the crap out of me!!

    Yep. I can see why it would.

    > But for you - check if the card is loose in the machine (power off first)

    Did that, but I appreciate the suggestion.
    I think I may take it out and clean the contacts just to be sure.
    I suppose I could also uninstall it and then let Plug 'n Play
    reinstall it.

    > - then
    > try another sound card...

    Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
    another sound card.

    p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened
    to this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have
    come here with problems before I usually had some informative replies
    within an hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got
    some of those from trolls that just love to see their own posts in
    newsgroups.

    This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and
    the only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I
    appreciate it. Do you happen to know where those long timers that were
    always so helpful went to? Is there another help newsgroup about
    computer problems minor and major?

    Thanks Bob.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    -------------------------------

    URAQT2, Mar 1, 2005
  5. URAQT2

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "URAQT2" <> wrote in message

    > <big snip>
    > Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
    > another sound card.
    >
    > p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened to
    > this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have come
    > here with problems before I usually had some informative replies within an
    > hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got some of those
    > from trolls that just love to see their own posts in newsgroups.
    >
    > This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and the
    > only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I appreciate it.
    > Do you happen to know where those long timers that were always so helpful
    > went to? Is there another help newsgroup about computer problems minor and
    > major?
    >
    > Thanks Bob.

    Hi, Chuck!

    There are still helpful people here...if I had any substantial suggestions I
    would have jumped in here myself.

    You asked about alternative news groups - I just looked through a few
    'soundcard' news groups, and found pretty much garbage (porn ads, etc.)

    I don't really have an answer for you, but your audio may be built in to the
    motherboard. While that doesn't make it impossible to troubleshoot, it is
    more difficult. What I'd try if it were my computer, is open the case and
    remove the sound card (if it's not built in.) Then restart the computer
    without it. Crystal audio drivers generally have a "remove drivers" function
    in the install program. I'd run that with the sound card out. Then power
    off, re-install the card, and restart. That should force a re-install.

    If the sound is 'built-in' you may have to try uninstalling then
    reinstalling the drivers without the advantage of pulling the card.

    Drivers for your Crystal audio can be found at:
    http://members.driverguide.com/inde...5=19&qa6=263&qa7=1500&dp=3&sm=b&jmd=and&fzz=d

    or http://tinyurl.com/6t9jk

    (you may have to sign up for a free account) although it may be the same
    drivers you have now.

    It's also possible that there are newer drivers on the Windows Update site.
    You are given two options there: Express and Custom install. If you do
    Custom, it will look at drivers as well as Windows updates. The list on the
    left shows optional updates that you don't see with the Express update
    option.

    As I think about it, this sounds like an interrupt problem. Perhaps your
    audio shares an IRQ with something else in the system, and it's getting
    hung. (Early PCs couldn't share IRQs, but the new ones frequently do.)
    Reinstalling drivers may not fix the problems if that's the case - it may be
    the other device causing the conflict.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 1, 2005
  6. URAQT2

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "URAQT2" <> wrote in message
    >
    >><big snip>
    >>Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
    >>another sound card.
    >>
    >>p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened to
    >>this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have come
    >>here with problems before I usually had some informative replies within an
    >>hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got some of those
    >>from trolls that just love to see their own posts in newsgroups.
    >>
    >>This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and the
    >>only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I appreciate it.
    >>Do you happen to know where those long timers that were always so helpful
    >>went to? Is there another help newsgroup about computer problems minor and
    >>major?
    >>
    >>Thanks Bob.
    >>

    > Hi, Chuck!
    >
    > There are still helpful people here...if I had any substantial suggestions I
    > would have jumped in here myself.

    Thanks. I figured there are still some people around here willing to help.

    > You asked about alternative news groups - I just looked through a few
    > 'soundcard' news groups, and found pretty much garbage (porn ads, etc.)

    Pretty much what I figured. We are even getting that kind of crap in a
    couple of disease related support newsgroups I participate in.

    > I don't really have an answer for you, but your audio may be built in to the
    > motherboard. While that doesn't make it impossible to troubleshoot, it is
    > more difficult. What I'd try if it were my computer, is open the case and
    > remove the sound card (if it's not built in.) Then restart the computer
    > without it. Crystal audio drivers generally have a "remove drivers" function
    > in the install program. I'd run that with the sound card out. Then power
    > off, re-install the card, and restart. That should force a re-install.
    >
    > If the sound is 'built-in' you may have to try uninstalling then
    > reinstalling the drivers without the advantage of pulling the card.
    >
    > Drivers for your Crystal audio can be found at:
    > http://members.driverguide.com/inde...5=19&qa6=263&qa7=1500&dp=3&sm=b&jmd=and&fzz=d
    >
    > or http://tinyurl.com/6t9jk
    >
    > (you may have to sign up for a free account) although it may be the same
    > drivers you have now.
    >
    > It's also possible that there are newer drivers on the Windows Update site.
    > You are given two options there: Express and Custom install. If you do
    > Custom, it will look at drivers as well as Windows updates. The list on the
    > left shows optional updates that you don't see with the Express update
    > option.
    >
    > As I think about it, this sounds like an interrupt problem. Perhaps your
    > audio shares an IRQ with something else in the system, and it's getting
    > hung. (Early PCs couldn't share IRQs, but the new ones frequently do.)
    > Reinstalling drivers may not fix the problems if that's the case - it may be
    > the other device causing the conflict.

    Thanks Tim. That is just the kind of advise I was looking for. It is a
    separate card. It's too late tonight for me to do what you suggest.
    Don't trust myself when I'm really sleepy, you know. I will follow
    through with your suggestions though very soon.

    You have given me several things to look at. I was just playing
    Tip Top Deluxe when it happened again about 20 minutes into the game.
    Time to reboot and then get away from the computer for tonight.

    Thanks again.

    p.s. I loved your TV show. ;-)

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    -------------------------------

    URAQT2, Mar 1, 2005
  7. URAQT2

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:21:17 GMT, URAQT2 <> wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
    >>>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
    >>>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.

    >> The only time I had that was once when I dropped a large office chair on the
    >> floor beside the computer, and it crashed from the huge shock vibration! Scared
    >> the crap out of me!!

    >Yep. I can see why it would.
    >

    >> But for you - check if the card is loose in the machine (power off first)

    >Did that, but I appreciate the suggestion.
    >I think I may take it out and clean the contacts just to be sure.
    >I suppose I could also uninstall it and then let Plug 'n Play
    >reinstall it.

    That's always good! Also check around the web for new drivers...

    >> - then
    >> try another sound card...
    >>

    >Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
    >another sound card.

    hmmmm there was a shop here selling sound cards for $24, I had a few at one
    time... You might be able to pick up an 'obsolete' one for a few bucks
    somewhere, from someone who upgraded to a super game board!

    You have a Crystal board you said - I have a low opinion of Crystal sound cards!
    I prefer Yamaha cards if I can get them because they have the official Yamaha
    midi sounds, usually better then other cards. Also they are quieter in my
    experience.

    >p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened
    >to this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have
    >come here with problems before I usually had some informative replies
    >within an hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got
    >some of those from trolls that just love to see their own posts in
    >newsgroups.

    I'm not a regular here, but I try to contribute what I can concerning audio and
    video, the things I do most on computers. (I'm a communications tech)

    >This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and
    >the only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I
    >appreciate it.

    Thanks for the kind words!

    >Do you happen to know where those long timers that were
    >always so helpful went to? Is there another help newsgroup about
    >computer problems minor and major?

    sorry no...

    >Thanks Bob.

    your welcome!

    Bob, Mar 2, 2005
  8. URAQT2

    Bob wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
    >>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
    >>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
    >>
    >>URAQT2 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
    >>> electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
    >>> is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
    >>> as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media
    >>> players.
    >>>
    >>> I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
    >>> old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
    >>>
    >>> I am using WinXP Home
    >>>
    >>> Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
    >>> Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
    >>>
    >>> My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
    >>> 80g C drive, 120g D drive.
    >>>
    >>> Do any of you have any advise?
    >>>
    >>> You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
    >>> questions. Thank you very much.

    You probably have a loose connection or a bad audio cord somewhere. Go over
    everything concerning sound and check it thoroughly. The previous
    suggestions about checking the sound card are quite valid, but it could be
    something external--the buzz is the powerline frequency (50/60Hz) getting
    into the sound chain, which means that somewhere something which normally
    prevents that isn't working.

    , Mar 3, 2005