    What's a recommended audio card to get for an x64 system (drivers
    compatible)?

    Thanks for your help!
    Don Awalt, Aug 14, 2006

  2. Don Awalt wrote:
    > Right in the middle of playing, I lost sound. It's a SoundMAX
    > integrated (onboard) chip/card in a Dell Precision x64 system I have had
    > about 14 months. System says the driver cannot start because of a
    > problem with the hardware.
    >
    > I have tried:
    > - rebooting
    > - turning system off to sit awhile.
    > - reinstalling the driver
    > - system restore (ha! doesn't work on x64)
    > - checking event log (no errors)
    > - multiple audio players (WMP, iTunes)
    >
    > Does it sound like the hardware is hosed to you?
    >
    > What's a recommended audio card to get for an x64 system (drivers
    > compatible)?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    It does not rather like the integrated audio controller has failed.
    You might try checking Dell's web site to see if there's a BIOS update
    for that model computer that addresses sound issues. If that doesn't
    help, I believe that Creative Labs has 64-bit drivers for most of their
    Audigy line of sound cards.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell
    Bruce Chambers, Aug 14, 2006

  3. Don Awalt

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:16:10 -0400, Don Awalt <> wrote:

    >I have tried:
    >- rebooting
    >- turning system off to sit awhile.
    >- reinstalling the driver
    >- system restore (ha! doesn't work on x64)
    >- checking event log (no errors)
    >- multiple audio players (WMP, iTunes)

    What you didn't try ;-): put the card in another slot
    and see what happens then.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Aug 14, 2006
  4. Don Awalt

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On 14 Aug 2006 08:53:16 +0200, Jud Hendrix <> wrote:

    >What you didn't try ;-):

    And what I didn't read is that this is slightly difficult to do with
    on-board audio :) oooppssssss

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 14, 2006
  5. Don Awalt

    Robert Guest

    Hi there Don,

    Have you checked your computer to see if windows recognizes the sound
    device? To do this, click start -> and right click on my computer ->
    manage. From there, go to device manager. Look under "Sound, video and
    game controllers" -- Expand it. Is your sound device there? If it is,
    try rolling back the driver (if possible) or go to the manufacturer's
    site for an update. If its not there, check under the category of
    "Other Devices" -- Do you see your sound device there with a question
    mark next to it? If so, then try installing it using the windows
    drivers (but if those fail, your last resort is to check with the
    manufacturer's site for a device driver).

    Hope this helps, -Rob

    Robert, Aug 14, 2006
  6. It's alright to panic, this doesn't look good at all. But first, uninstall
    the thing in Windows - Disable it in the BIOS - Make sure you do a 'Cold
    Boot' - Work normal for a while and re-boot, then reverse the action.

    Before re-enabling the sound you could run a Registry Scanner to see if
    anything remains of the former installation, I don't really believe it is
    necessary, but it has a way to still the heart.

    Bruce mentions a BIOS update, often that fixes things that are working badly
    or not at all, it usually don't fix things that stop working. But this all
    gave me an idea, what about the back-up battery? You had it for 14 months,
    how long was it in store? And the battery itself could be of the failing
    kind?

    The Audigy line of cards is awsome, in my mind, they are half-price at the
    moment, where I live - coupled with even a relatively inexpensive 'I-trigue'
    speaker system - if what you are playing doesn't include entertaining a
    stadium, you'll want nothing more. And this is a guy speaking, who's built
    several speaker systems and a couple of amplifiers in the hunt for that
    little extra 'something'. That used to be a hobby - now it's a complete
    waste of time. (Not to speak of the money!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  7. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Thanks for all your suggestions, here's a summary of what I found:

    1. I have the latest driver from Dell installed. Seems to match the
    latest version on at least the Asus site as well.
    2. BIOS is the latest from Dell
    3. There is no driver to rollback to when I tried that
    4. Device Manager does recognize it as a sound device, but it has a
    little yellow circle/exclamation point on it.
    5. Once I uninstalled, turned it off in BIOS, booted cold and ran for
    awhile, I reversed all that - the little yellow bubble on the task bar
    recognized the sound device properly and installed it, but it never got
    the message "Hardware is installed and ready for use". The exclamation
    point was on it in the Device Manager again. And of course no sound :-(

    Sounds hosed to me, don't you think?

    Don Awalt, Aug 14, 2006
  8. Don't you have an old dust collector card just to check that the remaining
    lenght of chain is alright before buying something else?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  9. Don Awalt

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried it with the speakers disconnected to see a possible short
    that causes soundcard problems? Otherwise, the Audigy series has x64 and
    Vista drivers. Not the greatest support for other utilities, but you don't
    have them now anyway.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  10. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    I tried it with speakers disconnected as a last resort. I am know the
    proud owner of a *working" Audigy 4 card. Sound is very nice, you would
    be surprised how quickly you miss it!

    Thanks for everyone's help.

    Don Awalt, Aug 14, 2006
  11. Don Awalt

    John Barnes Guest

    I even get comfort from the Windows startup music, so I know how fast you
    miss the sound. Glad you have it back.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  12. -Ditto-

    Tony. . .

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > I even get comfort from the Windows startup music, so I know how fast you
    > miss the sound. Glad you have it back.
    >
    > "Don Awalt" <> wrote in message
    > >I tried it with speakers disconnected as a last resort. I am know the

    proud
    > >owner of a *working" Audigy 4 card. Sound is very nice, you would be
    > >surprised how quickly you miss it!
    > >
    > > Thanks for everyone's help.
    > >
    > > John Barnes wrote:
    > >> Have you tried it with the speakers disconnected to see a possible

    short
    > >> that causes soundcard problems? Otherwise, the Audigy series has x64

    and
    > >> Vista drivers. Not the greatest support for other utilities, but you
    > >> don't have them now anyway.
    > >>

    > >> "Don Awalt" <> wrote in message

    got

    exclamation

    :-(

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  13. Don:
    Glad to see that you have sound back. I don't think you missed anything in
    your diagnostic pattern. At this point I haven't had any problems with
    sound on 2 x64 laptops. I did have a similar problem with sound on my towers
    with Audigy 2zs sound cards where the sound was present then after
    performing a windows update. The Audigy 2zs had a yellow explanation mark
    and I couldn't get rid of it, enabling the onboard sound didn't work either.
    The culprit was a sound driver update from MS that corrupted all of the
    sound drivers previously installed. Uninstalling the update and marking it
    not to be shown again cured my problems after reinstalling the sound drivers
    again.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 14, 2006