    (Intel) D975XBX2 does not have windows 7 drivers for the onboard sound. I
    used the built in drivers.
    Any Ideas would as always be appreciated...

    Drew, Jun 26, 2010

  2. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    I assume you have a 5.1 speaker configuration in control panel, right?
    If so, what DVD playback software are you using?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 26, 2010

  3. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Carlos. windows media player and or windvd as for control panel access I
    simply right click on volume icon and choose playback devices

    Drew, Jun 26, 2010
  4. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    One more step forward.
    When in "playback device", click on speakers and then on "configuration" (or
    setup or however "configuración" is translated into English) which is the
    lower button on the left.
    Do you have 5.1 speakers there?
    Just a hunch, have you chosen the 5.1 audio track of the DVD?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 26, 2010
  5. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Yes to all Carlos and yet nothing and when I choose configuration for 5.1 I
    get sound from all 5 individually as I should then when playing any music or
    a dvd only the front end works as in front left, front right and center. I
    would prefer to fix this but if necessary I could install a discreet card I
    suppose.

    Drew, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Do you know which sound chip you have on your board? According to Intel
    it can be one of three and that you should obtain the respective driver
    for that chip.

    See info @
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm#version

    I think Windows 7 drivers can be found for all three chips.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 26, 2010
  7. You can also try the identification utility @
    http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 26, 2010
  8. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Audio CD's (or most audio files) only have two channel sound so you won't
    get anything from the rear speakers.
    :)
    You only have two speakers working and not three.
    The sound you hear from the center speaker is just an illusion created by a
    mono signal coming from left and right channels.
    It looks as if you didn't have the proper AC3 (Dolby) or DTS audio decoders
    installed.
    Your speaker setup is Ok, your player doesn't understand and thus cannot
    decode 5.1 audio.
    Try this player
    http://www.xvidvideo.ru/component/d...mecinema-x86-svn-2075-----with-installer.html
    Site is in russian but just check the right radio button and click on
    continue for downloading the installer.
    That small player has the intelligence for decoding 5.1 sound to your
    speakers.
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 26, 2010
  9. Drew

    Drew Guest

    although I appreciate all the responses from both Carlos and Bobby, I have
    checked all you suggested before I posed the question and still have no
    answer, 5.1 worked in xp and after upgrading to Vista 5.1 it worked there as
    well albeit with a rather non direct workaround and now with win 7 there is
    no such workaround that I can come up with.

    Drew, Jun 27, 2010
  10. Drew

    Vjekoslav Guest

    may be you should try next> click on sound icon on the taskbar, then click
    to the icon "speakers" on the top of slider, and you got a window "speakers
    properties". Go to the "levels" tab, and push the all the sliders to 100% if
    they are not allready. Hope this might help.

    Vjekoslav, Jun 27, 2010
  11. Drew

    Drew Guest

    I have indeed tried that to no avail but thanks for the response.

    Drew, Jun 27, 2010
  12. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Do you mean that the player I recommended you didn't work either?
    That would definitely mean it is a driver issue.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 27, 2010
  13. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Carlos: no unfortunately that player you recommended does not help. A friend
    has a sound card I may try but I wish I could get this one working right.

    Drew, Jun 29, 2010
  14. Drew

    KHIA Guest

    so how are you doing?

    KHIA, Jun 30, 2010
  15. Drew

    Drew Guest

    as opposed to?.. still no surround sound except when configuring speakers in
    control panel. I get 5.1 there with no problem but not with dvd movies or
    dvd music, cd's or even internet radio. Back when running xp and or vista
    all worked well . not so much in 7. Apparently I am not alone as Intel
    phased out support for this great board and others are having the same
    problem. IDT and or Sigmatel suck in this instance as well

    Drew, Jun 30, 2010
  16. Drew

    The Sizzler Guest

    I was curious as to whether you might have resolved your speaker problem yet?

    The Sizzler, Jul 2, 2010
  17. Drew

    The Sizzler Guest

    I may have missed it, but did you ever identify which HD Audio chip you have
    on your board?

    Codecs for Realtek would be at www.realtek.com.tw

    Hp has Win 7 drivers for both ADI (SoundMAX) and IDT. I have seen in other
    forums where these have solved the Win 7 driver problem for others.

    ADI HD Codecs are @
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...cc=us&swItem=ob-77875-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

    IDT Codecs are @
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...softwareitem=ob-75078-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

    The Sizzler, Jul 2, 2010
  18. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Neither does the trick but Thanks anyway..

    Drew, Jul 3, 2010
  19. Drew

    Drew Guest

    And now with a new sound card I still only have "front" speakers. I just
    installed a new sound card and went through configuration in playback
    devices, during which I had all 5 five speakers working. now when playing
    any music or any other media I only have the "front" 3 (left right center).
    I'm at a loss here.. what am I missing? I used to have all 5 playing during
    music playback in xp and even Vista with my built in sound card which is or
    was "Sigmatel High def audio".

    Drew, Jul 4, 2010
  20. Drew

    Kue2 Guest

    trying playing a movie & see if u have all five speakers working.

    Kue2, Jul 4, 2010