Sound/Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nancy, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Nancy, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    "Nancy" <> wrote in

    >> Hello...I have Windows XP.... I recently uninstalled JAVA then I

    > reinstalled
    >> it.... my problem is.... the music to my screen saver works just
    >> fine but none of the other sounds work... like.. e-mail
    >> notification, Windows log on... Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nancy

    Hi

    Did you see the earlier reply to your original question?

    Click here: http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2D735F96

    If you are using OE please try this.
    F5 to refresh the page and View> Show All Posts
    or
    From the View menu choose Current View > Replies to my posts

    Use 'Help' for more tips on configuring OE.

    If you still can't see the messages
    check the archive, for this group, at
    Boomer, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Sorry but your reply did not show on my end :-( Yes I have already checked
    that iut in my control panel...nothing is muted and the volume is turned up
    all the way... I am wondering if I need to install something more? Another
    version of Java?

    Thanks,

    Nancy

    Nancy, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    "Nancy" <> wrote in

    > Sorry but your reply did not show on my end :-( Yes I have
    > already checked that iut in my control panel...nothing is muted
    > and the volume is turned up all the way... I am wondering if I
    > need to install something more? Another version of Java?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nancy

    Which Java did you uninstall then reinstall? And what version?
    Sun's Java or a Microsoft java?

    Have you gone to Settings> Control Panel> Sounds and checked to see if
    sounds are associated to certain functions? If so can you hear the
    sounds there when you test them?

    Boomer, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in

    > "Nancy" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Sorry but your reply did not show on my end :-( Yes I have
    >> already checked that iut in my control panel...nothing is muted
    >> and the volume is turned up all the way... I am wondering if I
    >> need to install something more? Another version of Java?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Nancy

    > Which Java did you uninstall then reinstall? And what version?
    > Sun's Java or a Microsoft java?
    >
    > Have you gone to Settings> Control Panel> Sounds and checked to
    > see if sounds are associated to certain functions? If so can you
    > hear the sounds there when you test them?

    Control Panel> Sounds> Audio Devices in XP
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307855)
    Boomer, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    I reinstalled Sun Microsystems.... It was Sun Java that I had uninstalled..
    Windows XP...

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    Nancy, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    "Nancy" <> wrote in

    > I reinstalled Sun Microsystems.... It was Sun Java that I had
    > uninstalled.. Windows XP...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nancy

    Did you test your sounds under Control Panel> Sounds> Audio Devices?
    Check your Device Manager while you are there.

    Boomer, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Yes I did the test sounds and recieved this message...DPVSetup.exe... I
    folllowed the directions to resolve this....which was
    1. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices
    2. On the Voice tab, under Voice Playback, click Advanced.
    3. On the Performance tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider at least
    one position to the right...

    I did those three steps and still no sound... So the next info I was given
    was that a problem may occur when you make any changes to the sound card
    configuration in the Control Panel.... I have not made any changes :-(

    Nancy

    Nancy, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    "Nancy" <> wrote in

    > Yes I did the test sounds and recieved this
    > message...DPVSetup.exe...

    What was the exact message?

    > I folllowed the directions to resolve
    > this....which was 1. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices
    > 2. On the Voice tab, under Voice Playback, click Advanced.
    > 3. On the Performance tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider
    > at least one position to the right...
    >
    > I did those three steps and still no sound... So the next info I
    > was given was that a problem may occur when you make any changes
    > to the sound card configuration in the Control Panel.... I have
    > not made any changes :-(

    You just said you did those steps?

    Okay. You have XP. It was working. You uninsatlled Sun Java and then
    reinstalled (a new version?) of Sun's Java. Then no sound. Nothing
    else has been installed or uninstalled?

    Have you tried to use the "Restore Point" to go back to a prior date?
    "How to Restore Windows XP to a Previous State"
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/
    itpro/managing/restore.asp>

    Do you have the latest drivers for your sound card? If you don't know
    what sound card you have you can download one or both of these
    freeware's and find out about your system.
    Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com
    AIDA32 http://www.aida32.hu

    And do you have the latest version of DirectX? You might want to
    install that also.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

    --
    I need to go lie down in a darkened room.
    -anOLDun
    Boomer, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    "Nancy" <> wrote in

    > Yes I did the test sounds and recieved this
    > message...DPVSetup.exe... I folllowed the directions to resolve
    > this....which was 1. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices
    > 2. On the Voice tab, under Voice Playback, click Advanced.
    > 3. On the Performance tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider
    > at least one position to the right...
    >
    > I did those three steps and still no sound... So the next info I
    > was given was that a problem may occur when you make any changes
    > to the sound card configuration in the Control Panel.... I have
    > not made any changes :-(
    >
    > Nancy

    Maybe this would be a good place to go to also.

    MS Knowledge Base
    "HOW TO: Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307918
    Boomer, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    It said...... Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use
    Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to Install.

    The odd thing about this is... my screen saver music works but nothing else
    does like my e-mail, Windows etc.. notification and also my DVD's & CD's
    will not play sound.

    Nancy

    Nancy, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    Nancy, <> wrote:

    > It said...... Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute
    > DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to Install.
    >
    > The odd thing about this is... my screen saver music works but
    > nothing else does like my e-mail, Windows etc.. notification
    > and also my DVD's & CD's will not play sound.
    >
    > Nancy

    [snip]

    Boomer, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Yes it was a a new version of Sun Java... thanks for all of your help..I'll
    keep working on a way to fix the problem.... as a last resort I will just
    take my computer to a local computer doctor...
    Nancy

    Nancy, Nov 27, 2003
  14. Nancy

    Boomer Guest

    Nancy, <> wrote:

    > Yes it was a a new version of Sun Java... thanks for all of your
    > help..I'll keep working on a way to fix the problem.... as a
    > last resort I will just take my computer to a local computer
    > doctor... Nancy

    Have you read the links I've given? Anything help? You might want
    to ask at a Microsoft XP group also.

    Wishing you the best!

    Boomer, Nov 27, 2003
  15. Nancy