Sound wavers after extending audio cable

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave6791, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. Dave6791

    Dave6791

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi everyone:

    I'm trying to get high quality audio from my computer to a powered subwoofer/speaker setup approximately 45 feet away. I've daisy-chained several Radio Shack "Audio Extension Cables" (1/8" plug on one end, 1/8" jack on the other) to serve as the audio interconnect. One end of the audio cable is plugged directly into the computer's sound card, the other end is plugged into the powered subwoofer on the other side of the room.

    Although I can hear audio coming out of the speakers, (1) I have to turn the sound all the way up on the computer in order to get acceptable sound level from the speakers and (2) the volume coming out of the speakers wavers / fluctuates.

    Do I need an amplifier to overcome the resistance in this length of audio cable? (My initial thought was that I would NOT need to do this, since the subwoofer and speakers have their own power supply - the sound card is not driving them). If I do need an amp, does it need to be near the computer (source)? Or, would switching out the audio extension cable for speaker wire help? Or is there something else I'm missing / not thinking of?

    More info on the setup:

    Source: Dell Dimension 2350 with an integrated SoundMAX sound card. The only output from the sound card is via a single 1/8" line out/headphone jack.

    Destination: Labtec LCS-2412, subwoofer and two speakers. The audio cable plugs into an 1/8" audio jack on the powered subwoofer. The subwoofer and the two speakers attached to it are powered directly by a wall unit.

    Thanks for the advice!
    Dave

    Dave6791, Jun 14, 2008