Sound Problems When Using DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Steven, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    I'm having a problem that is baffling me. I currently own a DVD
    recorder (Sony RDR-GX330) which is connected to my 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic
    receiver through a digital coaxial cable. My DirectTV satellite box is
    connected to the DVD recorder through the left and right analog stereo
    cables.
    The problem: Whenever I record a program and want to play it through
    the receiver (and the reciever is set to dolby Pro Logic or one of the
    stereo to surround modes) I only get sound from the right speaker. If
    I put the receiver on the full mono setting, it will send the sound
    through to my left, right and center speakers, but of course only in
    mono. If I play the program through the tv's speakers, it sounds fine
    coming through the left and right speakers. What's going on? I have
    gone to the manufacturers site and can't find any help on this. I am
    assuming that it is a setting with my DVD recorder since I have tried
    all the options on the receiver. Is it possible that when you send a
    stereo signal through a coaxial digital cable that the receiver can't
    process the signal properly? As an aside, when I play a CD through my
    CD player that is hooked up to the receiver, it only plays in stereo.
    But in that case the receiver doesn't even give me the options for
    dolby pro logic. When playing through the DVD player, my receiver
    shows all the options but only plays in mono or through the right
    speaker. I have checked all the connections and cannot find anything.
    Does anyone know how how to fix this problem. Thank you for your help.

    Steven
    Steven, Mar 2, 2010