Sound problem driving me CRAZY!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD space,
    etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.

    For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash content.
    Strangely enough, I CAN hear audio, regardless of application, when I
    play music or watch other forms of video. WMP, Winamp, Real, etc = good
    clear sound. But I can't hear any audio from flash-based on-line videos
    like reviews on C|Net or video stories on CNN or any of the crap on
    YouTube, and I can't get the normal audio feedback you get from system
    sounds in XP. BTW, everything worked fine for months and I cannot
    figure out what changed that caused the selective sound problem to begin.

    I was using the m/b built-in sound which the BIOS identified as Realtek
    AS'97. I tried going to the ASUS web site and downloading the latest
    drivers and sound utilities. No change. During a scan for a Windows
    Update XP determined that the sound was based on a NVidea chip so I let
    it download and install drivers and sound utilities for that. No
    change. (I made sure on-board audio was enabled in the BIOS of course).
    Last night I gave up on on-board audio, DISabled it in the BIOS, and
    installed a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card. XP recognized it right away
    but I still have the SAME PROBLEM. I went to the Creative site and
    downloaded and installed the latest driver/utility for an Audigy sound
    card and got NO CHANGE!

    At every step I used Device Manager to make sure I had no hardware
    conflicts. I opened Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel to make
    sure the correct sound devices were being used. Everything LOOKS like
    everything is working. But it isn't. I've run virus and spyware scans
    and found nothing that could be causing this problem. WTF is going on
    here???
    WC
    WCH, Nov 6, 2006

  2. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, WCH Wrote The Following:
    > Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD space,
    > etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.
    >
    > For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    > sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash content.
    > Strangely enough, I CAN hear audio, regardless of application, when I
    > play music or watch other forms of video. WMP, Winamp, Real, etc = good
    > clear sound. But I can't hear any audio from flash-based on-line videos
    > like reviews on C|Net or video stories on CNN or any of the crap on
    > YouTube, and I can't get the normal audio feedback you get from system
    > sounds in XP. BTW, everything worked fine for months and I cannot
    > figure out what changed that caused the selective sound problem to begin.
    >
    > I was using the m/b built-in sound which the BIOS identified as Realtek
    > AS'97. I tried going to the ASUS web site and downloading the latest
    > drivers and sound utilities. No change. During a scan for a Windows
    > Update XP determined that the sound was based on a NVidea chip so I let
    > it download and install drivers and sound utilities for that. No
    > change. (I made sure on-board audio was enabled in the BIOS of course).
    > Last night I gave up on on-board audio, DISabled it in the BIOS, and
    > installed a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card. XP recognized it right away
    > but I still have the SAME PROBLEM. I went to the Creative site and
    > downloaded and installed the latest driver/utility for an Audigy sound
    > card and got NO CHANGE!
    >
    > At every step I used Device Manager to make sure I had no hardware
    > conflicts. I opened Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel to make
    > sure the correct sound devices were being used. Everything LOOKS like
    > everything is working. But it isn't. I've run virus and spyware scans
    > and found nothing that could be causing this problem. WTF is going on
    > here???
    > WC

    Not sure of what browser you are using but in IE, make sure, under
    tools, Internet options, advanced tab, Multimedia, Play sound in web
    pages needs to be checked. Good Luck If it is in Firefox, it could
    be one of the extensions you installed. Any other browser, I don't
    have a clue.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Nov 6, 2006

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Without Any Hesitation, WCH Wrote The Following:
    >> Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD
    >> space, etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.
    >>
    >> For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    >> sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash
    >> content. Strangely enough, I CAN hear audio, regardless of
    >> application, when I play music or watch other forms of video. WMP,
    >> Winamp, Real, etc = good clear sound. But I can't hear any audio from
    >> flash-based on-line videos like reviews on C|Net or video stories on
    >> CNN or any of the crap on YouTube, and I can't get the normal audio
    >> feedback you get from system sounds in XP. BTW, everything worked
    >> fine for months and I cannot figure out what changed that caused the
    >> selective sound problem to begin.
    >>
    >> I was using the m/b built-in sound which the BIOS identified as
    >> Realtek AS'97. I tried going to the ASUS web site and downloading the
    >> latest drivers and sound utilities. No change. During a scan for a
    >> Windows Update XP determined that the sound was based on a NVidea chip
    >> so I let it download and install drivers and sound utilities for
    >> that. No change. (I made sure on-board audio was enabled in the BIOS
    >> of course). Last night I gave up on on-board audio, DISabled it in
    >> the BIOS, and installed a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card. XP
    >> recognized it right away but I still have the SAME PROBLEM. I went to
    >> the Creative site and downloaded and installed the latest
    >> driver/utility for an Audigy sound card and got NO CHANGE!
    >>
    >> At every step I used Device Manager to make sure I had no hardware
    >> conflicts. I opened Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel to make
    >> sure the correct sound devices were being used. Everything LOOKS like
    >> everything is working. But it isn't. I've run virus and spyware
    >> scans and found nothing that could be causing this problem. WTF is
    >> going on here???
    >> WC

    > Not sure of what browser you are using but in IE, make sure, under
    > tools, Internet options, advanced tab, Multimedia, Play sound in web
    > pages needs to be checked. Good Luck If it is in Firefox, it could be
    > one of the extensions you installed. Any other browser, I don't have a
    > clue.

    I use Firefox primarily, IE when a web site demands. The problem exists
    in both browsers. What's more, the fact that I get no "system sounds"
    (log on, new email, error message, etc) suggests to me that the problem
    isn't browser-related but I don't know anything for sure anymore.
    WCH, Nov 6, 2006
  4. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, WCH Wrote The Following:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> Without Any Hesitation, WCH Wrote The Following:
    >>> Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD
    >>> space, etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.
    >>>
    >>> For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    >>> sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash
    >>> content. Strangely enough, I CAN hear audio, regardless of
    >>> application, when I play music or watch other forms of video. WMP,
    >>> Winamp, Real, etc = good clear sound. But I can't hear any audio
    >>> from flash-based on-line videos like reviews on C|Net or video
    >>> stories on CNN or any of the crap on YouTube, and I can't get the
    >>> normal audio feedback you get from system sounds in XP. BTW,
    >>> everything worked fine for months and I cannot figure out what
    >>> changed that caused the selective sound problem to begin.
    >>>
    >>> I was using the m/b built-in sound which the BIOS identified as
    >>> Realtek AS'97. I tried going to the ASUS web site and downloading
    >>> the latest drivers and sound utilities. No change. During a scan for
    >>> a Windows Update XP determined that the sound was based on a NVidea
    >>> chip so I let it download and install drivers and sound utilities for
    >>> that. No change. (I made sure on-board audio was enabled in the
    >>> BIOS of course). Last night I gave up on on-board audio, DISabled it
    >>> in the BIOS, and installed a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card. XP
    >>> recognized it right away but I still have the SAME PROBLEM. I went
    >>> to the Creative site and downloaded and installed the latest
    >>> driver/utility for an Audigy sound card and got NO CHANGE!
    >>>
    >>> At every step I used Device Manager to make sure I had no hardware
    >>> conflicts. I opened Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel to
    >>> make sure the correct sound devices were being used. Everything
    >>> LOOKS like everything is working. But it isn't. I've run virus and
    >>> spyware scans and found nothing that could be causing this problem.
    >>> WTF is going on here???
    >>> WC

    >> Not sure of what browser you are using but in IE, make sure, under
    >> tools, Internet options, advanced tab, Multimedia, Play sound in web
    >> pages needs to be checked. Good Luck If it is in Firefox, it could
    >> be one of the extensions you installed. Any other browser, I don't
    >> have a clue.
    >>

    > I use Firefox primarily, IE when a web site demands. The problem exists
    > in both browsers. What's more, the fact that I get no "system sounds"
    > (log on, new email, error message, etc) suggests to me that the problem
    > isn't browser-related but I don't know anything for sure anymore.

    Have you checked control panel, sounds. Make sure it all looks good?

    Old Gringo, Nov 6, 2006
  5. WCH

    Fred Guest

    Try line 371 at Kellys Corner

    Fred, Nov 6, 2006
  6. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Nov 6, 2006
  7. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Try line 371 at Kellys Corner

    I went to the site, downloaded the reg and successfully installed it.
    Cold booted the computer and the change has no effect on my sound problem.
    :-(

    WCH, Nov 6, 2006
  8. WCH

    beenthere Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD space,
    > etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.
    >
    > For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    > sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash content.

    snipped the rest.

    Try here to see if it helps:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webfor....cfm?catid=184&threadid=1093093&enterthread=y

    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Nov 6, 2006
  9. WCH

    WCH Guest

    beenthere wrote:
    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >> Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD space,
    >> etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.
    >>
    >> For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    >> sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash content.

    > snipped the rest.
    >
    > Try here to see if it helps:
    > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webfor....cfm?catid=184&threadid=1093093&enterthread=y
    >
    > bw..OJ

    Tried that but it didn't change anything. I don't think this is really
    about Adobe/Macromedia flash files. I think that's just a side effect.
    When I go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds (where
    you can set and change system sounds), the little button to SAMPLE
    (hear) the sounds is GRAYED OUT. No system sounds will work. I tend to
    think that if I solve THAT problem it'll take care of the other.
    WCH, Nov 6, 2006
  10. WCH

    beenthere Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > beenthere wrote:
    >> "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >>> Running XP Pro on an ASUS A7N8X m/b (AMD) with plenty of RAM, HD space,
    >>> etc. Everything is fully patched and updated.
    >>>
    >>> For the last couple of months I have not been able to hear any system
    >>> sounds or and audio on Macromedia (now Adobe, evidently) flash content.

    >> snipped the rest.
    >>
    >> Try here to see if it helps:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webfor....cfm?catid=184&threadid=1093093&enterthread=y
    >>
    >> bw..OJ

    > Tried that but it didn't change anything. I don't think this is really
    > about Adobe/Macromedia flash files. I think that's just a side effect.
    > When I go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds (where you
    > can set and change system sounds), the little button to SAMPLE (hear) the
    > sounds is GRAYED OUT. No system sounds will work. I tend to think that
    > if I solve THAT problem it'll take care of the other.

    have you been in Device Manager to see if you`re Sounds\Audio
    devices are OK ?
    No `!` marks.
    If it`s alright there then I`d suggest you do a SFC (system file
    check).
    Start\Run and type CMD then in the black window, type the
    following SFC /scannow.
    Insert your Windows CD if asked, then go have a cup of tea.
    Restart the machine when finished.
    HTH.
    beenthere, Nov 6, 2006
  11. WCH

    BS Guest

    beenthere wrote:
    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >> beenthere wrote:
    >>> "WCH" <> wrote in message

    >>> snipped the rest.
    >>>
    >>> Try here to see if it helps:

    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webfor....cfm?catid=184&threadid=1093093&enterthread=y

    >>> bw..OJ

    >> Tried that but it didn't change anything. I don't think this is really
    >> about Adobe/Macromedia flash files. I think that's just a side effect.
    >> When I go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds (where you
    >> can set and change system sounds), the little button to SAMPLE (hear) the
    >> sounds is GRAYED OUT. No system sounds will work. I tend to think that
    >> if I solve THAT problem it'll take care of the other.

    > have you been in Device Manager to see if you`re Sounds\Audio
    > devices are OK ?
    > No `!` marks.
    > If it`s alright there then I`d suggest you do a SFC (system file
    > check).
    > Start\Run and type CMD then in the black window, type the
    > following SFC /scannow.
    > Insert your Windows CD if asked, then go have a cup of tea.
    > Restart the machine when finished.
    > HTH.

    Try re-installing DirectX.
    BS, Nov 7, 2006
  12. WCH

    Fred Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Try line 371 at Kellys Corner

    > I went to the site, downloaded the reg and successfully installed it. Cold
    > booted the computer and the change has no effect on my sound problem.
    > :-(

    Try the suggestion at this site then
    http://www.nosystemsounds.com/
    Install K-Lite codec pack and run the codec tweak fix reg tool
    Apparently restores settings in the registry

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
    "midimapper"="midimap.dll"
    "wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"
    "aux"="wdmaud.drv"
    "wdmaud.drv"="wdmaud.drv"
    "wave"="wdmaud.drv"
    "mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
    "midi"="wdmaud.drv"
    Fred, Nov 7, 2006
  13. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >> Fred wrote:
    >>> Try line 371 at Kellys Corner
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    >> I went to the site, downloaded the reg and successfully installed it. Cold
    >> booted the computer and the change has no effect on my sound problem.
    >> :-(

    > Try the suggestion at this site then
    > http://www.nosystemsounds.com/
    > Install K-Lite codec pack and run the codec tweak fix reg tool
    > Apparently restores settings in the registry

    IT WORKED! I tried every single suggestion in this thread, all good
    ideas, without success. But when I installed the K-Lite codec pack and
    then, as suggested at the nosystemsounds.com site, used the registry fix
    setting, it fixed EVERYTHING. System sounds fully restored, flash sites
    now have full audio, evidently I had a bad registry setting which this
    utility fixed. Thanks!
    WC
    WCH, Nov 7, 2006