    450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the sound is slightly
    out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback. Any suggestions for
    correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

    Jay Knerr, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Jay Knerr

    Jerry G. Guest

    You need a faster machine, especially for XP and a DVD drive. A 750 mHz CPU
    is about the minimum that I would recommend, with a fast buss, and about 256
    mb of RAM is about the minimum ( 320 mb is very good ) I would recommend
    when viewing DVD's. There is a lot of processing going on when using video.
    Then on top of this, XP is a very resource heavy operating system.

    I have a 1000 mHz machine with 256 mb of RAM working on Win 98, and it is
    just borderline in its performance when playing DVD disks.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer (Pentium III

    Jerry G., Jan 22, 2004

  3. Jay Knerr

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Jay Knerr" <> wrote in

    > I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer
    > (Pentium III 450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the
    > sound is slightly out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback.
    > Any suggestions for correcting this issue would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    My first guess would be the CPU is pegged at 100% doing the DVD decoding
    and can't handle keeping it in sync. Have you tried a few different DVD
    playback programs?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Jay Knerr

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in news:bunfp4$ffm$1
    @news.eusc.inter.net:

    > I have a 1000 mHz machine with 256 mb of RAM working on Win 98, and it is
    > just borderline in its performance when playing DVD disks.

    Your machine is not well designed then. I used to watch DVDs on my 800 mhz
    Duron with 256 megs of RAM running Windows 2000 and I had absolutely no
    problems at all.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Jay Knerr

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Jay Knerr" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer
    > > (Pentium III 450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the
    > > sound is slightly out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback.
    > > Any suggestions for correcting this issue would be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    > My first guess would be the CPU is pegged at 100% doing the DVD decoding
    > and can't handle keeping it in sync. Have you tried a few different DVD
    > playback programs?

    And he should also check to see if the drive is operating in DMA mode. That
    makes a big difference in playback smoothness.

    Thor, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Jay Knerr

    Thor Guest

    "Jay Knerr" <> wrote in message
    > I have tried a two DVD playback programs both with the same result. As

    far
    > as the DMA setting, The drive instructions say that DMA mode needs to be
    > active but I can't find any reference to a DMA setting in the drive
    > properties. Am I not looking in the right place?

    unlike Win9x, the DMA properties for WinXP are in the IDE controllers
    section. Look at the properties for the primary, or secondary controllers
    (depending on which channel your DVD drive is connected to) and make sure it
    is set to "DMA if available". Then the window below it will state what mode
    the drive is running in currently. If it reads "PIO only" even after setting
    it to "DMA when available" and rebooting, then you may be out of luck.

    Thor, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Jay Knerr

    Jay Knerr Guest

    Jay Knerr, Jan 22, 2004