    youll be able to point me in the right direction.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    David Day, Oct 29, 2006

  2. David Day

    D@Z Guest

    he has a manual?what else does he need.maybe if u gave details what make
    model number etc ppl will be able to help you? you may as well say my cars
    not working can anyone help? and not give any details about it.....

    D@Z, Oct 29, 2006

  3. David Day

    TouretteBot Guest

    "David Day" <> wrote in message
    > Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    > his sound mixer properly. He's in a band and has just bought a sound mixer
    > for everyone to plug into. He's looked at the instruction manual but its
    > BIG. So he's looking online for help. Hes not stupid, but still reckons it
    > will take 3 days to get through the booklet, let alone understand it
    > properly. He doesnt want to do anything mega technical, but wants to get
    > more out of it. So far he has had all the band coming out of it, and has
    > set it up so that everything is ok, but he's sure that there are otehr
    > things he can do as there are ALOT of knobs etc. It means nothing to me,
    > but im sure youll be able to point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    OK Dave,
    So we don't know what sort of mixer?
    24 track? 4 Track? Greyhound race track?
    Nor do we know the inputs, the source range?
    The frequency bands? Roll-off's? The adjustment protocol?
    Sub-sonic filtering/boost? Ultrasonic cut-off?
    Analog? Digital?
    He would have been better going to Argos and getting
    a food mixer.

    TouretteBot, Oct 29, 2006
  4. David Day

    David Day Guest

    I think you'll find the analagy would be that I want to know how to drive
    the car not fix it, and as cars are either manual or automatic then its a
    fair question. Ok I admit a model etc would help, but its not mine.

    David Day, Oct 29, 2006
  5. In article <4544f379$0$8718$>,
    "David Day" <> wrote:

    > Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    > his sound mixer properly. He's in a band and has just bought a sound mixer
    > for everyone to plug into. He's looked at the instruction manual but its
    > BIG. So he's looking online for help. Hes not stupid, but still reckons it
    > will take 3 days to get through the booklet, let alone understand it
    > properly. He doesnt want to do anything mega technical, but wants to get
    > more out of it. So far he has had all the band coming out of it, and has set
    > it up so that everything is ok, but he's sure that there are otehr things he
    > can do as there are ALOT of knobs etc. It means nothing to me, but im sure
    > youll be able to point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Well, the first step in the right direction is to stop complaining about
    how BIG the manual is, and read it ;)

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 29, 2006
  6. David Day

    David Day Guest

    "TouretteBot" <> wrote in message

    > "David Day" <> wrote in message
    >> Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    >> his sound mixer properly. He's in a band and has just bought a sound
    >> mixer for everyone to plug into. He's looked at the instruction manual
    >> but its BIG. So he's looking online for help. Hes not stupid, but still
    >> reckons it will take 3 days to get through the booklet, let alone
    >> understand it properly. He doesnt want to do anything mega technical, but
    >> wants to get more out of it. So far he has had all the band coming out of
    >> it, and has set it up so that everything is ok, but he's sure that there
    >> are otehr things he can do as there are ALOT of knobs etc. It means
    >> nothing to me, but im sure youll be able to point me in the right
    >> direction.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    > OK Dave,
    > So we don't know what sort of mixer?
    > 24 track? 4 Track? Greyhound race track?
    > Nor do we know the inputs, the source range?
    > The frequency bands? Roll-off's? The adjustment protocol?
    > Sub-sonic filtering/boost? Ultrasonic cut-off?
    > Analog? Digital?
    > He would have been better going to Argos and getting
    > a food mixer.

    Like I said, I dont have a clue about it. Ill get the model number off him
    tomorrow, hopefully that will help. All he wants is a general intro to using
    mixers, nothing technical.

    David Day, Oct 29, 2006
  7. David Day

    David Day Guest

    "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4544f379$0$8718$>,
    > "David Day" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    >> his sound mixer properly. He's in a band and has just bought a sound
    >> mixer
    >> for everyone to plug into. He's looked at the instruction manual but its
    >> BIG. So he's looking online for help. Hes not stupid, but still reckons
    >> it
    >> will take 3 days to get through the booklet, let alone understand it
    >> properly. He doesnt want to do anything mega technical, but wants to get
    >> more out of it. So far he has had all the band coming out of it, and has
    >> set
    >> it up so that everything is ok, but he's sure that there are otehr things
    >> he
    >> can do as there are ALOT of knobs etc. It means nothing to me, but im
    >> sure
    >> youll be able to point me in the right direction.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Well, the first step in the right direction is to stop complaining about
    > how BIG the manual is, and read it ;)

    That maybe true, but MOST people learn quicker thru demo and simple
    explaination than thru reading an indepth manual, which is full of technical
    terms and jargon. Why do you think people never read the dvd recorder or tv
    manual until they want to do something special. All he wants is to get the
    jist of it, so that he doesnt have to look up each term whilst he's working
    out what it will do.

    David Day, Oct 29, 2006
  8. In article <4545097b$0$8748$>,
    "David Day" <> wrote:

    > "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <4544f379$0$8718$>,
    > > "David Day" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    > >> his sound mixer properly. He's in a band and has just bought a sound
    > >> mixer
    > >> for everyone to plug into. He's looked at the instruction manual but its
    > >> BIG. So he's looking online for help. Hes not stupid, but still reckons
    > >> it
    > >> will take 3 days to get through the booklet, let alone understand it
    > >> properly. He doesnt want to do anything mega technical, but wants to get
    > >> more out of it. So far he has had all the band coming out of it, and has
    > >> set
    > >> it up so that everything is ok, but he's sure that there are otehr things
    > >> he
    > >> can do as there are ALOT of knobs etc. It means nothing to me, but im
    > >> sure
    > >> youll be able to point me in the right direction.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Dave

    > > Well, the first step in the right direction is to stop complaining about
    > > how BIG the manual is, and read it ;)

    > That maybe true, but MOST people learn quicker thru demo and simple
    > explaination than thru reading an indepth manual, which is full of technical
    > terms and jargon. Why do you think people never read the dvd recorder or tv
    > manual until they want to do something special. All he wants is to get the
    > jist of it, so that he doesnt have to look up each term whilst he's working
    > out what it will do.

    Ok, a quick Google search for "how to use a mixer" turned this up:

    http://www.astralsound.com/mixers1.htm

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 29, 2006
  9. In article <454508b4$0$8720$>,
    "David Day" <> wrote:

    > "TouretteBot" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "David Day" <> wrote in message
    > >> Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    > >> his sound mixer properly. He's in a band and has just bought a sound
    > >> mixer for everyone to plug into. He's looked at the instruction manual
    > >> but its BIG. So he's looking online for help. Hes not stupid, but still
    > >> reckons it will take 3 days to get through the booklet, let alone
    > >> understand it properly. He doesnt want to do anything mega technical, but
    > >> wants to get more out of it. So far he has had all the band coming out of
    > >> it, and has set it up so that everything is ok, but he's sure that there
    > >> are otehr things he can do as there are ALOT of knobs etc. It means
    > >> nothing to me, but im sure youll be able to point me in the right
    > >> direction.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Dave
    > >>

    > > OK Dave,
    > > So we don't know what sort of mixer?
    > > 24 track? 4 Track? Greyhound race track?
    > > Nor do we know the inputs, the source range?
    > > The frequency bands? Roll-off's? The adjustment protocol?
    > > Sub-sonic filtering/boost? Ultrasonic cut-off?
    > > Analog? Digital?
    > > He would have been better going to Argos and getting
    > > a food mixer.
    > >

    > Like I said, I dont have a clue about it. Ill get the model number off him
    > tomorrow, hopefully that will help. All he wants is a general intro to using
    > mixers, nothing technical.

    So he wants to run something that is technical...but without being
    technical?

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 29, 2006
  10. David Day

    beenthere Guest

    > In article <4545097b$0$8748$>,
    > "David Day" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message

    >> > Well, the first step in the right direction is to stop complaining
    >> > about
    >> > how BIG the manual is, and read it ;)

    >> That maybe true, but MOST people learn quicker thru demo and simple
    >> explaination than thru reading an indepth manual, which is full of
    >> technical
    >> terms and jargon. Why do you think people never read the dvd recorder or
    >> tv
    >> manual until they want to do something special. All he wants is to get
    >> the
    >> jist of it, so that he doesnt have to look up each term whilst he's
    >> working
    >> out what it will do.

    > Ok, a quick Google search for "how to use a mixer" turned this up:
    >
    > http://www.astralsound.com/mixers1.htm

    That`s great DMW. The OPs mate won`t have to read his
    manual now. He`ll have it all in a couple of pages.
    %> )....<g>. %> }}.

    beenthere, Oct 29, 2006
  11. In article <jq81h.27050$>,
    "beenthere" <> wrote:

    > "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <4545097b$0$8748$>,
    > > "David Day" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message

    > >> That maybe true, but MOST people learn quicker thru demo and simple
    > >> explaination than thru reading an indepth manual, which is full of
    > >> technical
    > >> terms and jargon. Why do you think people never read the dvd recorder or
    > >> tv
    > >> manual until they want to do something special. All he wants is to get
    > >> the
    > >> jist of it, so that he doesnt have to look up each term whilst he's
    > >> working
    > >> out what it will do.

    > > Ok, a quick Google search for "how to use a mixer" turned this up:
    > >
    > > http://www.astralsound.com/mixers1.htm

    > That`s great DMW. The OPs mate won`t have to read his
    > manual now. He`ll have it all in a couple of pages.
    > %> )....<g>. %> }}.

    Not really, because how to use all those functions still depends on what
    mixer it is. Even that page says to read the manual.

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 29, 2006
  12. David Day

    beenthere Guest

    > In article <jq81h.27050$>,
    > "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message

    >> > Ok, a quick Google search for "how to use a mixer" turned this up:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.astralsound.com/mixers1.htm

    >> That`s great DMW. The OPs mate won`t have to read his
    >> manual now. He`ll have it all in a couple of pages.
    >> %> )....<g>. %> }}.

    > Not really, because how to use all those functions still depends on what
    > mixer it is. Even that page says to read the manual.

    You obviously overlooked the smiles, and grin that I finished with.
    If his mate can`t be bothered to RTFM of the equipment he bought,
    I`d let him stew.

    --
    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Oct 29, 2006

  13. > >> > Ok, a quick Google search for "how to use a mixer" turned this up:

    > >> That`s great DMW. The OPs mate won`t have to read his
    > >> manual now. He`ll have it all in a couple of pages.
    > >> %> )....<g>. %> }}.

    > > Not really, because how to use all those functions still depends on what
    > > mixer it is. Even that page says to read the manual.

    > You obviously overlooked the smiles, and grin that I finished with.
    > If his mate can`t be bothered to RTFM of the equipment he bought,
    > I`d let him stew.

    I know, but the point is even with that bit of information, he will
    still have to read his manual in order to know EXACTLY what to do :)

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 29, 2006
  14. David Day

    >> > Not really, because how to use all those functions still depends on
    >> > what
    >> > mixer it is. Even that page says to read the manual.

    >> You obviously overlooked the smiles, and grin that I finished with.
    >> If his mate can`t be bothered to RTFM of the equipment he bought,
    >> I`d let him stew.

    > I know, but the point is even with that bit of information, he will
    > still have to read his manual in order to know EXACTLY what to do :)

    Exactly, all he wants is get a basic grasp of what it will do and how to get
    it to happen, then once he's got that he'll be able to read up on the
    specific things he wants to do. He doesnt want to bypass reading the manual,
    its just overwhelming initially. Especially when you buy the best that you
    cant afford knowing that a £2.99 job from woolies wont suffice after a week.
    Hence he's skipped the, "buy shite now and upgrade in a few weeks" stage.

    David Day, Oct 29, 2006
  15. On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:26:18 -0000, "David Day"
    <> wrote:

    >Just got back from work and a mate asked me where to ffind out how to use
    >his sound mixer properly...

    The mixer manual is a pretty good place. You can get a basic idea of
    what mixers do, at a music store.

    In the most basic terms, the bass/treble controls on your stereo make up
    a mixer.

    For each mixer channel, you control how well the mics and inputs are
    heard. You can increase or reduce the highs, middle and low notes. You
    control how much of the channel's output goes to the monitor bus and how
    much goes to the main bus. For each channel, you can add effects or
    eliminate that channel.

    You can send the mixer's output to a tape deck, CDRW, etc. or countless
    other things--depending on the mixer, and the person(s) controlling the
    mixer.

    Whatever it takes.

    Michael A. Ball, Oct 30, 2006