    Or if somebody has something to say about movie playback and sound, I'd
    be more than willing to listen :)

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner wrote:
    > A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
    > know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
    > really like to have two of those ...

    yep, three IIRC(one digital and two analog)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:35:21 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
    >> know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
    >> really like to have two of those ...

    >yep, three IIRC(one digital and two analog)

    I just got a SB Live 24bit to replace my dead older SB Live, and there's no
    digital :-(

    Invisible, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Invisible wrote:
    >>>A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
    >>>know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
    >>>really like to have two of those ...

    >>yep, three IIRC(one digital and two analog)

    > I just got a SB Live 24bit to replace my dead older SB Live, and there's no
    > digital :-(

    *gasp*, looks like Im keeping my older live then.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Peter Huebner

    Windows User Guest

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 03:32:21 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
    >sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
    >fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.

    Are you using a sound cable from the drive to the soundcard or the
    digital sound feature of Windows (assuming you are using Windows)

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 03:32:21 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
    > >sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
    > >fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.

    > Are you using a sound cable from the drive to the soundcard or the
    > digital sound feature of Windows (assuming you are using Windows)

    Using a cable from the DVD drive to the aux input on the mobo at the
    moment.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Peter Huebner

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message

    > I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
    > sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
    > fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.
    >
    > So I am thinking maybe a soundcard, since lots of fiddling with the
    > NVidia drivers has yielded little improvement.
    >
    > A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
    > know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
    > really like to have two of those ...
    >
    > Or if somebody has something to say about movie playback and sound, I'd
    > be more than willing to listen :)
    >

    > cheers, -Peter

    If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's the
    voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound card
    and a 5 speaker system.
    If other things sound okay then blame the DVD movies for lower sound from
    the voices compared to everything else.
    You're going to need good speakers.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 7, 2005
  8. In article <1112912233.383737@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's the
    > voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound card
    > and a 5 speaker system.

    Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
    **exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
    sounds just fine.

    So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
    fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
    night when everyone else is asleep in the house).

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Peter Huebner

    BILL Guest

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:34:03 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <1112912233.383737@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >> If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's the
    >> voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound card
    >> and a 5 speaker system.

    >Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
    >**exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
    >sounds just fine.
    >
    >So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
    >fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
    >night when everyone else is asleep in the house).
    >
    >cheers, -P.

    Is your DVD Player using DMA..?

    And hardware acceleration in the Video card..

    If not the CPU ends up doing all the work and leaves very little for the
    onboard sound..

    A SBlive will help as it does not use the CPU as much on board sound does..

    BILL, Apr 8, 2005
  10. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
    > **exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
    > sounds just fine.
    >
    > So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
    > fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
    > night when everyone else is asleep in the house).

    Voices are normally spread across all 5 channels - the stereo output
    from a DVD doesn't seem to combine all the channels properly leading to
    a loss of volume on sounds that are spread across all the channels - the
    easiest solution is to go for a full 5 channel system although in your
    case this isn't really practical. Maybe someone else here has found a
    decent solution to this.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 8, 2005
  11. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
    >> **exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing
    >> else sounds just fine.
    >>
    >> So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter
    >> of fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late
    >> at night when everyone else is asleep in the house).

    > Voices are normally spread across all 5 channels - the stereo output
    > from a DVD doesn't seem to combine all the channels properly leading
    > to a loss of volume on sounds that are spread across all the channels
    > - the easiest solution is to go for a full 5 channel system although
    > in your case this isn't really practical. Maybe someone else here
    > has found a decent solution to this.

    And here was me thinking the voices came mainly out of the centre channel,
    the one usually positioned where the images of the people speaking are. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2005
  12. Peter Huebner

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
    >sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
    >fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.
    >
    >So I am thinking maybe a soundcard, since lots of fiddling with the
    >NVidia drivers has yielded little improvement.
    >
    >A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
    >know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
    >really like to have two of those ...
    >
    >Or if somebody has something to say about movie playback and sound, I'd
    >be more than willing to listen :)
    >

    >cheers, -Peter

    Perhaps you should consider an Audigy 2, with its DVD-Audio
    compatibility.

    GraB, Apr 8, 2005
  13. Peter Huebner

    > In article <1112912233.383737@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > > If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's

    the
    > > voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound

    card
    > > and a 5 speaker system.

    > Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
    > **exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
    > sounds just fine.
    >
    > So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
    > fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
    > night when everyone else is asleep in the house).
    >
    > cheers, -P.

    It's not so much the voices being bad, just that the volume comes over about
    50% quieter than the background sounds and music.

    Your option would be to play round with your sound settings and possibly DVD
    software options. A cheap Dick Smith DVD player offers 2 channel sound.

    Good headphones might make a slight difference. With DVDs it's either full
    rich sound or crap and using headphones probably makes it even worse.
    At least you know there's nothing really wrong with your system.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 8, 2005
  14. In article <1112935091.493092@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > It's not so much the voices being bad, just that the volume comes over about
    > 50% quieter than the background sounds and music.

    Extremely bad, actually: they come across with a terrible echo, at times
    I can sort of hear them coming over twice.

    The interesting thing is that this is much worse if I set the soundchip
    driver to anything like 'headphones' 'stereo speakers' 'monitor
    speakers' et cetera - it has about half a dozen settings like that.
    If I chose 5.1 or 7.1 the echo effect is much lessened on the speakers
    and _almost_ ok using the headphones.

    > At least you know there's nothing really wrong with your system.

    Yes, that is a small consolation ;-)

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2005
  15. Peter Huebner

    ofn01 Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
    > sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
    > fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.
    >
    > So I am thinking maybe a soundcard, since lots of fiddling with the
    > NVidia drivers has yielded little improvement.
    >
    > A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
    > know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
    > really like to have two of those ...
    >
    > Or if somebody has something to say about movie playback and sound, I'd
    > be more than willing to listen :)
    >

    > cheers, -Peter

    When I was investigating sound cards the Live! came across as being one
    that wasn't the best performer. The Audigy 2 ZS was said to be quite
    good and has onboard DTS / Dolby Digital decoding (so you specify in
    your DVD software to go direct to S/PDIF rather than use its internal
    two channel sound or fork out for some audio add-on that gives you
    pseduo 5.1 sound).

    Seems to work quite well - pretty good sounds, gaming is quite good. I
    got an OEM version and have had no problems updating the drivers from
    the creative site (some people said that their OEM versions failed - but
    I also read that could be due to customisation by an OEM such as Dell)

    ofn01, Apr 9, 2005