Sound Card Question Re "Integrated Sound"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Oct 15, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    I might be purchasing a shortwave radio that is called a "software defined
    radio" type.

    Uses the PC, and its software, to do a lot of the radio functions, etc.

    It mentioned that the sound card should be of the "duplex" bi-directional
    type.

    Have no idea what they are asking for.

    Specifically, is it "likely" that a new PC that has "integrated sound",
    rather than having one of the SoundBlaster types of individual sound cards
    has this feature ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Oct 15, 2009

  2. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:45:36 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I might be purchasing a shortwave radio that is called a "software defined
    >radio" type.

    It may be handy to not forget the make/model , links to manfacturer
    manuals. Perhaps even a subject line with - Sounds Card duplex type for
    make/model. It's highlights what your post is about.

    >Uses the PC, and its software, to do a lot of the radio functions, etc.
    >
    >It mentioned that the sound card should be of the "duplex" bi-directional
    >type.
    >
    >Have no idea what they are asking for.
    >
    >Specifically, is it "likely" that a new PC that has "integrated sound",

    Yes. Ditto, make / model. It's harder to compare, confirm , deny if the
    above requirements re duplex exist.

    Would take is as early ISA / any ISA card half duplex, and modern PCI
    full duplex.

    >rather than having one of the SoundBlaster types of individual sound cards
    >has this feature ?

    www.google.com
    soundcard full duplex capable

    #
    SANS
    A simple way to determine if a sound card is full-duplex capable is to
    play any audio file with Windows Media Player and attempt to use Windows
    Sound ...
    www.sansinc.com/FAQ_4.html - Cached - Similar
    #
    Computer Sound Card Help
    A full-duplex sound card is capable of both playing and recording sounds
    at the same time. ... If your sound card is supposed to be full-duplex
    capable, ...
    www.infohq.com/Computer/computer-sound-card-help.htm - Cached - Similar
    #
    Problems with Packet Connections
    25 Apr 2009 ... Is Your Sound Card Full Duplex Capable? Can your sound
    card send and receive simultaneously? In Windows, you can test for
    full-duplex ...
    www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/5probconnect.htm - Cached - Similar
    #
    Must Take Turns Speaking in NetMeeting

    Sound card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Early ISA bus soundcards were half-duplex, meaning they could not record
    and ... Many PCI bus cards do not have these limitations and are mostly
    full-duplex. ... not the amount of digital audio streams the card is
    capable of handling. ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card - Cached - Similar

    >Thanks,
    >Bob