Sound card problem...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Srikanth, May 12, 2007.

  1. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    I recently formatted my hard drive, and re-installed win98... I had
    the original motherboard cd, and installed the drivers from there.
    There is an onboard sound card (Realtek AC'97 ALC100) and I installed
    its drivers. Now, the problem was that there was no output from the
    jack... I did all the usual testing - speakers, jack etc... the card
    worked fine before the formatting... I tried re-installing the
    drivers, getting the latest drivers etc, but there was no use... the
    detection was fine, but I just wasn't getting any audio, nor was there
    any sound recording, though the multimedia option in Control Panel
    showed everything as fine...

    Finally, i pushed in a PCI sound card, a CMI 8738, and installed the
    relevant drivers...In this, i was able to get sound out, but there is
    absolutely no microphone input - in fact, if I set this device as my
    preferred recording device, the recording icon gets grayed out.

    So the scenario is this: AC'97 - everything looks great, but nothing
    works... CMI 8738 - recording is grayed out (no recording possible),
    but audio plays out fine...

    Any clues or ideas?
    Thanks
    Srikanth Sridharan
    Srikanth, May 12, 2007

  2. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    Recently discovered a new quirk that might help in narrowing down the
    problem - I can play audio from my CD drive, by plugging in my
    headphones to the jack. So i guess the sound card is fine... it is
    just that the audio does not go out via the usual output jack

    HTH narrow down the problem
    Srikanth
    Srikanth, May 12, 2007

  3. Srikanth wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Recently discovered a new quirk that might help in narrowing down the
    > problem - I can play audio from my CD drive, by plugging in my
    > headphones to the jack. So i guess the sound card is fine... it is
    > just that the audio does not go out via the usual output jack

    Which jack - the one on the frontplate of your cd drive (which doesn't make
    use of any soundcard) or the line out jack of the onboard soundcard, or the
    added pci soundcard?

    Walter Mautner, May 12, 2007
  4. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi

    It is the jack at the front of the cd drive...that doesn't make use of
    the soundcard at all?

    Any clues on what I should do?

    Thanks
    Srikanth
    Srikanth, May 12, 2007
  5. Srikanth

    ProfGene Guest

    Srikanth wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently formatted my hard drive, and re-installed win98... I had
    > the original motherboard cd, and installed the drivers from there.
    > There is an onboard sound card (Realtek AC'97 ALC100) and I installed
    > its drivers. Now, the problem was that there was no output from the
    > jack... I did all the usual testing - speakers, jack etc... the card
    > worked fine before the formatting... I tried re-installing the
    > drivers, getting the latest drivers etc, but there was no use... the
    > detection was fine, but I just wasn't getting any audio, nor was there
    > any sound recording, though the multimedia option in Control Panel
    > showed everything as fine...
    >
    > Finally, i pushed in a PCI sound card, a CMI 8738, and installed the
    > relevant drivers...In this, i was able to get sound out, but there is
    > absolutely no microphone input - in fact, if I set this device as my
    > preferred recording device, the recording icon gets grayed out.
    >
    > So the scenario is this: AC'97 - everything looks great, but nothing
    > works... CMI 8738 - recording is grayed out (no recording possible),
    > but audio plays out fine...
    >
    > Any clues or ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Srikanth Sridharan

    Did you check the Window's volume control to make sure the microphone
    option is activated and also that the "mute" is not checked on the
    microphone option?
    ProfGene, May 27, 2007
  6. Srikanth

    Srikanth Guest

    Hi
    Yeah, i did those..finally i bought a new sound card, and this one
    works just fine.
    thanks anyway
    Srikanth
    Srikanth, May 28, 2007