    use in a pinch.

    What is the configuration for the SoundBlaster CT4740 microphone input?
    There are no jumper or manual settings on the circuit board.

    mcp6453, May 12, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Jerry G. Guest

    The sound card is designed to use an electrit type microphone. These use a
    phantom voltage, of 5 volts (going from memory). You must check with the
    manufacture about the microphone being stereo or not. If you have a DVM, you
    can always put in a open ended plug and measure the voltage. If you put in a
    stereo plug you can then just touch the leads with your fingers, or do the
    test properly with an audio generator, and hear if the channels are separate
    or not. The input level range is about -50 to -60 Db.

    I think it was coincidence that a broadcast type microphone was damaged from
    a sound card. The card must have been defective, or the microphone was
    failing in the first place!

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    Unfortunately, the documentation that accompanies most sound cards,
    including a new 4.1 Creative SoundBlaster card I just bought, does not
    clearly define the input characteristics of the microphone input. In
    days of old, the mic inputs were mono (two conductor) and had about 5
    volts DC on the tip to power electret microphones connected to them. I
    know that the sound card in my daughter's computer is that way becaue
    the DC destroyed the element in a broadcast microphone that I let her

    Jerry G., May 12, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    ProfGene Guest

    New soundcards have two stereo inputs one for th mic and one for the audio
    in. The other is for audio out which can either go to your speakers or a
    stereo amplifier. You must use a computer mic or you have to set jumpers
    for say a condensor mic and I am not cerain that the newer soundcards have
    this feature. The software controls are in Windows volume control and
    sometimes you have to activate the mic controls.

    ProfGene, May 13, 2004