sound blaster and echo on streaming radio

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by D A welser, May 5, 2004.

  1. D A welser

    D A welser Guest

    I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several months.
    It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I want to
    tune in.

    I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.

    I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as an echo
    effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
    quality to the sound.

    The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media player.

    I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
    concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.

    I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
    concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
    offender.

    Any suggestions on how to track this down?

    Dave

    D A welser, May 5, 2004

  2. D A welser

    Bigfred Guest

    Yeh ditch real player and wmp and use Jet Audio player
    http://download.com.com/3000-2167-10280939.html?tag=lst-0-1

    Bigfred, May 5, 2004

  3. D A welser

    David Wood Guest

    > I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several months.
    > It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I want to
    > tune in.
    >
    > I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.
    >
    > I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as an echo
    > effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
    > quality to the sound.
    >
    > The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media player.
    >
    > I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
    > concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.
    >
    > I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
    > concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
    > offender.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to track this down?

    Well first I would check to see if you have any sound enhancement
    features enabled (such as spatializers) and disable them. This is
    sometimes labeled in the master volume's advanced settings, as "3d" or
    "3d enhancement" - or even "stereo wide". With some sound cards, this
    is even one of the other sliders. Go into the Windows play back mixer
    and go to properties, and make sure all the boxes are checked off so
    that you can see all the levels.

    David Wood, May 5, 2004
  4. D A welser

    ivan Guest

    Does your board have an EAX sound effects console, could be u have an
    'effect' turned on..

    ivan, May 6, 2004
  5. D A welser

    Isaac Guest

    "D A welser" <> wrote in

    > I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several
    > months.
    > It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I
    > want to tune in.
    >
    > I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.
    >
    > I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as
    > an echo
    > effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
    > quality to the sound.
    >
    > The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media
    > player.
    >
    > I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
    > concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.
    >
    > I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
    > concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
    > offender.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to track this down?
    >
    > Dave

    You could try to disable hardware acceleration
    Start->Run->dxdiag tab Sound

    Isaac

    Isaac, May 6, 2004