Sound and Video Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chris Johnson, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. I was wondering if anyone could possibly save me a continued troubleshooting
    time and help me out with this problem.
    I have the WINTV Hauppauge TV card installed and the viewing and sound
    quality is excellent. Except for one small thing. It seems to freeze up
    (the video) it starts and stops. There is no other program running usually.
    I have more than enough power to run it.
    I'm on a Dell 8250 P4 2.8 with 512 in memory along with audigy 2 sound card.
    The video card has 128mg of ram.

    I have no idea what causes this. It basically keeps me from watching TV with
    it because it freezes quite a bit.

    As an extra bonus issue, I also experience crackling sounds intermittent. ON
    ANYTHING..Streams, DVD, CD etc. The sound card has been replaced as has the
    speakers and still no change. I've reseated the card a couple of times, took
    out the modem and I've also reinstalled drivers, altered the acceleration to
    help compensate for sound problems, but have it at full throttle when
    viewing the TV. I also changed the dmA to PIO...nothing...

    HELP anyone!

    Thanks in advance.

    chris
    Chris Johnson, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Chris Johnson

    paul s Guest

    Chris Johnson wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone could possibly save me a continued
    > troubleshooting time and help me out with this problem.
    > I have the WINTV Hauppauge TV card installed and the viewing and sound
    > quality is excellent. Except for one small thing. It seems to freeze up
    > (the video) it starts and stops. There is no other program running
    > usually. I have more than enough power to run it.
    > I'm on a Dell 8250 P4 2.8 with 512 in memory along with audigy 2 sound
    > card. The video card has 128mg of ram.
    >
    > I have no idea what causes this. It basically keeps me from watching TV
    > with it because it freezes quite a bit.

    Have you got the latest drivers and software?

    > As an extra bonus issue, I also experience crackling sounds intermittent.
    > ON
    > ANYTHING..Streams, DVD, CD etc. The sound card has been replaced as has
    > the speakers and still no change. I've reseated the card a couple of
    > times, took out the modem and I've also reinstalled drivers, altered the
    > acceleration to help compensate for sound problems, but have it at full
    > throttle when
    > viewing the TV. I also changed the dmA to PIO...nothing...

    Have you got anything running in the background gobbling up CPU cycles?
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Chris Johnson

    CJ Guest

    Nothing that stands out. This is probably a loaded question, but what would
    be a guide or checklist sorta that would help track down not needed
    processes, aside from the obivous programs hogging. I'm not sure of what I
    should or should not delete.

    Yes, to the driver question.

    Thanks for your help.

    CJ, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Chris Johnson

    paul s Guest

    CJ wrote:

    > Nothing that stands out. This is probably a loaded question, but what
    > would be a guide or checklist sorta that would help track down not needed
    > processes, aside from the obivous programs hogging. I'm not sure of what I
    > should or should not delete.

    Assuming your running 2000 or XP, do 'ctrl', 'alt, 'del', to bring up the
    task manager. That should tell you if you got anything hogging the CPU.

    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jun 30, 2003