    you would not routinely do yourself, eg Microsoft updates, checking
    for new versions of programs, checking for new drivers and backing up
    the computer, to list the obvious? I am tempted to disable this.
    Scott, Dec 26, 2009

  2. Scott

    Tom Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry if this post is a bit off topic, but I have just bought a 64 bit
    > Windows 7 computer. I see there is an application called HP Advisor.
    > I don't see the point of it so far. Does it actually do anything that
    > you would not routinely do yourself, eg Microsoft updates, checking
    > for new versions of programs, checking for new drivers and backing up
    > the computer, to list the obvious? I am tempted to disable this.

    "HP" meaning Hewlitt Packard? If so, I would suspect that it is an updater
    through HP. You could remove it using "Programs and features" in the Control
    Panel, but that is up to you. If it isn't causing you any issues or eating
    up much needed resources, leave it be.
    Tom, Dec 26, 2009

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:51:00 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >"Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if this post is a bit off topic, but I have just bought a 64 bit
    >> Windows 7 computer. I see there is an application called HP Advisor.
    >> I don't see the point of it so far. Does it actually do anything that
    >> you would not routinely do yourself, eg Microsoft updates, checking
    >> for new versions of programs, checking for new drivers and backing up
    >> the computer, to list the obvious? I am tempted to disable this.

    >"HP" meaning Hewlitt Packard? If so, I would suspect that it is an updater
    >through HP. You could remove it using "Programs and features" in the Control
    >Panel, but that is up to you. If it isn't causing you any issues or eating
    >up much needed resources, leave it be.

    Thanks, HP is indeed Hewlett Packard. It is rather more than an
    updater, with all sorts of diagnostics and features. I think it
    probably is using up resources and seems to slow down the start of the
    computer. Of course I realise that I can remove it (as I can remove
    any program) but before doing so I wondered if anyone had experience
    using it and whether it is anything more than a gateway to features
    that are already avaiable in Windows. Also, rather than remove it I
    would prefer to prevent it from starting automatically, but I cannot
    see a way of doing this.
    Scott, Dec 26, 2009
  4. It's a good deal more than simply an updater, though it _does_ get updates
    that you won't get via WU/MU. It will slow down your startup a bit. OTOH,
    once you're up and running, it doesn't seem to have all that much of an
    impact. And it will catch some issues. I'm with Tom, I'd be inclined to
    leave it in place, but disable autostartup. Then load it periodically to
    check for HP specific updates, if nothing else. HP is pretty good about
    releasing updates to their dedicated applications and drivers, and this app
    will keep you on top of that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 26, 2009
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:18:29 -0600, "Don"
    <> wrote:

    >"Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:51:00 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Scott" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>"HP" meaning Hewlitt Packard? If so, I would suspect that it is an updater
    >>>through HP. You could remove it using "Programs and features" in the
    >>>Control
    >>>Panel, but that is up to you. If it isn't causing you any issues or eating
    >>>up much needed resources, leave it be.

    >> Thanks, HP is indeed Hewlett Packard. It is rather more than an
    >> updater, with all sorts of diagnostics and features. I think it
    >> probably is using up resources and seems to slow down the start of the
    >> computer. Of course I realise that I can remove it (as I can remove
    >> any program) but before doing so I wondered if anyone had experience
    >> using it and whether it is anything more than a gateway to features
    >> that are already avaiable in Windows. Also, rather than remove it I
    >> would prefer to prevent it from starting automatically, but I cannot
    >> see a way of doing this.

    >Yes you can stop it from starting automatically.
    >You can do it either with MSConfig, or my preference using the program
    >Autoruns.
    >You can download autoruns here :
    >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    >
    >Once you run the program, click on the " logon " tab, and you will see a
    >list of programs that start automatically when you log on to your system.
    >You can disable the HP Advisor here, and it won't start automatically any
    >more but the program will still be on our computer.
    >I use for for disabling things like that, along with other non essential
    >programs that load, like Adobe Reader, etc...

    I tried MSConfig / System Configuration and unticked all the Hewlett
    Packard programs. I restarted the computer. HP Advisor etc are still
    there. Where have I gone wrong?
    Scott, Dec 26, 2009
  6. Scott

    Tom Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:18:29 -0600, "Don"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Scott" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, HP is indeed Hewlett Packard. It is rather more than an
    >>> updater, with all sorts of diagnostics and features. I think it
    >>> probably is using up resources and seems to slow down the start of the
    >>> computer. Of course I realise that I can remove it (as I can remove
    >>> any program) but before doing so I wondered if anyone had experience
    >>> using it and whether it is anything more than a gateway to features
    >>> that are already avaiable in Windows. Also, rather than remove it I
    >>> would prefer to prevent it from starting automatically, but I cannot
    >>> see a way of doing this.

    >>Yes you can stop it from starting automatically.
    >>You can do it either with MSConfig, or my preference using the program
    >>Autoruns.
    >>You can download autoruns here :
    >>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    >>
    >>Once you run the program, click on the " logon " tab, and you will see a
    >>list of programs that start automatically when you log on to your system.
    >>You can disable the HP Advisor here, and it won't start automatically any
    >>more but the program will still be on our computer.
    >>I use for for disabling things like that, along with other non essential
    >>programs that load, like Adobe Reader, etc...

    > I tried MSConfig / System Configuration and unticked all the Hewlett
    > Packard programs. I restarted the computer. HP Advisor etc are still
    > there. Where have I gone wrong?

    They remain in the list, and as long as they are unchecked, then they are
    disabled from starting when you logon to Windows.
    Tom, Dec 27, 2009
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:12:33 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> I tried MSConfig / System Configuration and unticked all the Hewlett
    >> Packard programs. I restarted the computer. HP Advisor etc are still
    >> there. Where have I gone wrong?

    >They remain in the list, and as long as they are unchecked, then they are
    >disabled from starting when you logon to Windows.

    Thanks. I meant to say they were still on the desktop (even after
    restarting the computer). However, the problem has now resolved so I
    don't know what happened.

    I have a different problem now. The computer keeps going in to sleep
    or hibernate mode. I have changed the power options for the display
    to go off after 20 minutes and the computer to go to sleep after 1
    hour. However, it seems to be happening far sooner. Could HP have
    imposed a different set of rules to Windows? How can I get rid of
    these?
    Scott, Dec 27, 2009
  8. It is possible that one of the HP utilities has it's own power settings.
    I know Dell does and I don't use it because of this.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 27, 2009
  9. Scott

    Tom Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:12:33 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >>>
    >>> I tried MSConfig / System Configuration and unticked all the Hewlett
    >>> Packard programs. I restarted the computer. HP Advisor etc are still
    >>> there. Where have I gone wrong?

    >>They remain in the list, and as long as they are unchecked, then they are
    >>disabled from starting when you logon to Windows.

    > Thanks. I meant to say they were still on the desktop (even after
    > restarting the computer). However, the problem has now resolved so I
    > don't know what happened.

    Those are just shortcuts to click on so you can open/use the program. Nearly
    all programs that are installed place shortcuts like these in certain
    places, but they do not mean that they will start with your logon.

    > I have a different problem now. The computer keeps going in to sleep
    > or hibernate mode. I have changed the power options for the display
    > to go off after 20 minutes and the computer to go to sleep after 1
    > hour. However, it seems to be happening far sooner. Could HP have
    > imposed a different set of rules to Windows? How can I get rid of
    > these?

    It's possible that HP has its own power settings. You'll need to open HP's
    program and look for those setting, under something like an "Options" or
    "Preferences" tab/button .
    Tom, Dec 27, 2009
  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:09:33 -0500, Bobby Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >It is possible that one of the HP utilities has it's own power settings.
    > I know Dell does and I don't use it because of this.

    Any ideas how to disable these to let Windows decide?
    Scott, Dec 27, 2009
  11. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:50:34 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >"Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:12:33 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]

    >>>They remain in the list, and as long as they are unchecked, then they are
    >>>disabled from starting when you logon to Windows.

    >> Thanks. I meant to say they were still on the desktop (even after
    >> restarting the computer). However, the problem has now resolved so I
    >> don't know what happened.

    >Those are just shortcuts to click on so you can open/use the program. Nearly
    >all programs that are installed place shortcuts like these in certain
    >places, but they do not mean that they will start with your logon.
    >

    >> I have a different problem now. The computer keeps going in to sleep
    >> or hibernate mode. I have changed the power options for the display
    >> to go off after 20 minutes and the computer to go to sleep after 1
    >> hour. However, it seems to be happening far sooner. Could HP have
    >> imposed a different set of rules to Windows? How can I get rid of
    >> these?

    >It's possible that HP has its own power settings. You'll need to open HP's
    >program and look for those setting, under something like an "Options" or
    >"Preferences" tab/button .

    I looked under 'Settings' but no sign there. I wondered if it was one
    of these registry changes that I never understand.
    Scott, Dec 27, 2009
  12. Scott

    Geordie Guest

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:09:46 +0000, Scott
    <> compiled the following:

    >On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:50:34 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>It's possible that HP has its own power settings. You'll need to open HP's
    >>program and look for those setting, under something like an "Options" or
    >>"Preferences" tab/button .

    >I looked under 'Settings' but no sign there. I wondered if it was one
    >of these registry changes that I never understand.

    Are you sure that this is down to HP?
    I have a HP m/c here with HP Advisor etc and have changed the power
    settings in Win7 without any problems.
    --
    You guys got something against spam? (Vriess, in _Alien 4_)
    Geordie, Dec 27, 2009
  13. Scott

    ShellP Guest

    On Dec 27, 5:02 pm, Geordie <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:09:46 +0000, Scott
    > <> compiled the following:
    >

    > >On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:50:34 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >>It's possible that HP has its own power settings. You'll need to open HP's
    > >>program and look for those setting, under something like an "Options" or
    > >>"Preferences" tab/button .

    > >I looked under 'Settings' but no sign there.  I wondered if it was one
    > >of these registry changes that I never understand.

    > Are you sure that this is down to HP?
    > I have a HP m/c here with HP Advisor etc and have changed the power
    > settings in Win7 without any problems.
    > --
    > You guys got something against spam? (Vriess, in _Alien 4_)

    Hi, you don't state whether this is a Laptop or Desktop? If a laptop,
    check the Mobility Center & make sure that the "cut off" for power
    setting is used for when you want it? I have mine set to "Never" go
    off while connected to outside power sources. Hp auto sets it to cut
    off to conserve the battery. You also may need to adjust the
    properties of the WiFi connections as it to is set to go off
    automatically so as not to wake it when it should not. The Hp Advisor
    is a useful tool that you should be able to stop from Auto Start, but
    alternatively you can disable it altogether & instead use & set the HP
    updater to keep up with all necessary HP updates. Hope that helps.
    ShellP, Dec 28, 2009
  14. Scott

    Richard Guest

    Scott,

    I've been watching this thread with interest because I also have a new HP
    Pavilion dv7t laptop. For what it's worth, here is my suggestions and
    opinions on your two issues.

    HP APPLICATIONS:

    I debated about actually uninstalling or at least disabling them also. After
    initially hosing my computer trying to force install a piece of software not
    Windows 7 compatible. I ended up having to do a complete system recovery
    back to factory setting. Since then I have actually found the HP apps to be
    somewhat useful in system updates and maintenance. Therefore, I have elected
    to neither uninstall or disable any of them.

    Since this a new machine to you also, you may want to hold off doing
    anything until you have used it awhile. To the best of my observation, I
    don't see where these apps have interfered with the speed or resources
    utilization on my machine. I'm sure that there must be some impact it just
    that I'm not aware of what it is. "Ignorance is sometimes bliss."

    If you really feel strongly about this issue, I'd recommend that you
    "disable" them NOT uninstall them. That way, you can always enable them if
    you change your mind. Reinstalling is a lot more effort and if your machine
    is like mine, you don't have an actual set of discs with the software on
    them. Hopefully you did take the time to make a set of 3 recovery discs.

    Please note in System Configuration/msconfig, there are multiple HP services
    running under the "Services" tab. They are not all in the "Startup" tab. The
    easiest way to see them is to click on the services tab, place a "check
    mark" in the "Hide all Microsoft services" box located on the bottom left of
    the screen. You will then see all non-Microsoft services listed. As stated
    above, I have chosen to leave all of them alone, mainly because I'm not sure
    what they all are and they just don't bother me.

    POWER OPTIONS:

    Go to "Power Options" on the Control Panel.

    The first screen you'll see is "Select a Power Plan". I recommend that you
    ensure that the "HP Recommended" plan is selected.

    Click on it's "change plan settings". This takes you to the "Change Settings
    for the plan" HP Recommend".

    Click on "Restore default settings for this plan". This will take establish
    the original settings as shipped by HP.

    You can then start from here and modify any settings that you desire. I've
    found, for my purposes that I only changed 3 things, all of which are in
    "ADVANCED SETTINGS", as follows:

    1. Require a password setting on Wakeup: This is under "HP Recommended". I
    changed "plugged in" to NO. That way, when I have my computer at home in my
    docking station, I don't need a password to wake it up. I've left the
    requirement at "Yes" for battery on the assumption that this will be used
    during my travels. Note in order to make this change you will have to click
    on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

    2. Power buttons and lid: For "lid close action", I changed the plugged in
    setting to "do nothing". Since I use an external monitor at home, I can
    close my laptop and still have the computer on. If I didn't do this, the
    computer would either sleep, hibernate or shut down when I close the lid. I
    left this as "sleep" on battery power.

    3. Multimedia settings: It was recommended to me, because at one point,
    prior to me doing the factory recovery previously mentioned, my computer
    would not go to sleep at all. I changed "when sharing media" to "allow the
    computer to sleep". I don't know if this is still necessary, in my case, but
    it works and I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

    I also went though the "power management" tabs for each device in the
    "Device Manager" and DISABLED "Allow this device to wake the computer" on
    all devices with the exception of keyboards, mice and touch pads. That way
    only those three devices can wake the computer. You can access the Device
    Manager via Start\Search "device manager". The power management tab is under
    "properties" for each device. BE VERY CAREFUL that you don't accidently make
    other changes or you'll have new problems. Remember this was all done by me
    based on a previous issue. It may not be necessary. I suggest that you DON'T
    do this unless you find that the computer "sleep mode" doesn't function as
    desired.

    I'm sure that there are different opinions about the above. I just know that
    it works and since I'm dealing with all new hardware and a new OS and not
    being a "techie", I try to limit myself to only making changes whose impact
    I am confident that I understand.

    Hope some of this helps.
    --
    Thank You,