SOS - magenta face??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by W Chan, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. W Chan

    W Chan Guest

    I am having a somewhat weird problem...

    When opening a jpg or raw file in Photoshop Elements 4.0 or Nikon Capture
    4.4, I can see the thumbnails showing portraits with skin colour =
    magenta...
    When in EDIT mode of both Elements and Nikon Capture, I am seeing the same
    problem.

    When I view the images in Window Explorer (WIN XP), both the thumbnails and
    filmstrip view versions show normal skin tone...

    When I view the images in Photoshop Album Starter 3.0, the skin tone once
    again is NORMAL...

    After seeing the problem, I have removed and reloaded my Photoshop Elements
    4.0. But the problem remains.

    I have tried recalibrating my monitor (LACIE electron blue 19inch) with
    sypder 2 software. The problem remains.

    When I view web pages, and other windows-based applications, all the colours
    on screen seem to be NORMAL....

    The only problem is when viewing in Nikon Capture and Photoshop Elements!!

    What's wrong??

    Any advice please....
    W Chan, Dec 18, 2006

  2. W Chan <> wrote:
[...]

    One thought. It may be a mismatch or misread label of color space. If your
    camera records the image using the "standard" color space and some of the
    programs are unable to read the label of what color space, some programs
    may default to something else (such as an adobe product defaulting to
    adobe color space). Or vice versa. Since different color spaces use
    slightly different pallets of colors, it could be that the number 200
    (just choosing a number at random) is a light red (as would be part of the
    tone of skin-tone) and in another color pallet the same 200 could be a bit
    more purplish-red (magenta). So if the display program assumed the wrong
    pallet, you would get the wrong color displayed.

    Unfortunately it may be that the camera is placing the "color space" label
    in a place in the header that not all programs recognize. One possible
    thought. Try loading a photo that has this dual color problem into one
    of the programs that seem to read it correctly, and do a Save-as function
    to save it to a new name. The header would also be rewritten and may be
    repaired in the process. Then see if the resaved image opens correctly in
    the previously incorrect display programs.

    Also you might try checking which color space your camera is using or has
    been set to. Then after opening the image in each of the programs check
    the "properties" to see if it lists "color space" and if the listing
    matches your camera settings.

    There are probably many more possibilities and even some variations on
    what I pointed out that I haven't thought about. So I'll leave it to
    others to give you more ideas. :) At least checking out these preliminary
    possibilities shouldn't cost you any money to check out. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Dec 18, 2006

  3. "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > thought. Try loading a photo that has this dual color problem into one
    > of the programs that seem to read it correctly, and do a Save-as function
    > to save it to a new name. The header would also be rewritten and may be
    > repaired in the process. Then see if the resaved image opens correctly in
    > the previously incorrect display programs.
    >
    > Also you might try checking which color space your camera is using or has
    > been set to. Then after opening the image in each of the programs check
    > the "properties" to see if it lists "color space" and if the listing
    > matches your camera settings.
    >
    > There are probably many more possibilities and even some variations on
    > what I pointed out that I haven't thought about. So I'll leave it to
    > others to give you more ideas. :) At least checking out these preliminary
    > possibilities shouldn't cost you any money to check out. :)

    There are two things that strike me:

    1. The RAW conversion defaults are way-off. Do you adjust the colour,
    brightness and contrast before exporting? In Windows Explorer you are
    probably looking at a JPEG version of the file, which would have used
    different colour defaults. Were you shooting JPEG and RAW simultaneously?

    2. As Randy says, there is a colour space mismatch. Usually, the problem is
    that people try to view Adobe space images in the sRGB world, see:

    http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?p=5719#post5719

    This is an illustrated example of how colour space mismatch can affect
    displayed colour.

    But the effect here is to desaturate the colours rather than make them more
    pink.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    The online magazine and community for anyone interested in taking digital
    pictures!
    http://dpnow.com
    DPNow forum and users photo gallery: http://forum.dpnow.com
    Win an Olympus E-330 Live View DSLR during December:
    http://dpnow.com/3241.html
    Digital Photography Now, Dec 18, 2006