    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 20, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page 103) that
    > allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the same LAN. Sounds
    > great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and it's $29 for two PCs and
    > $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a freeware proggy that does
    > similar? I Googled but the only one I found was 'KM' only, no video. For
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Hi ~misfit~
    Try VNC, http://www.realvnc.com/ or http://www.tightvnc.com/

    Cheers
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Aug 20, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    thing Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page 103)
    >> that
    >> allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the same LAN. Sounds
    >> great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and it's $29 for two
    >> PCs and
    >> $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a freeware proggy that does
    >> similar? I Googled but the only one I found was 'KM' only, no video. For
    >> Windows platform.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Hi ~misfit~
    > Try VNC, http://www.realvnc.com/ or http://www.tightvnc.com/
    >
    > Cheers
    > Malcolm

    yep, vnc...good proggy, will do Windows and Linux...

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    theseus Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page 103)
    > that allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the same
    > LAN. Sounds great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and it's
    > $29 for two PCs and $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a
    > freeware proggy that does similar? I Googled but the only one I found
    > was 'KM' only, no video. For Windows platform.
    >
    > Cheers,

    VNC is free, works on all Windows.
    http://www.realvnc.com/
    http://www.tightvnc.com/

    theseus, Aug 21, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    Troglodyte Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page 103) that
    > allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the same LAN. Sounds
    > great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and it's $29 for two PCs and
    > $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a freeware proggy that does
    > similar? I Googled but the only one I found was 'KM' only, no video. For
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    if your with the bnz or i think most other banks on line, all you need
    is the bank details of the person selling and you can set up a transfer
    online to that persons account.

    Troglodyte, Aug 21, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page
    >>> 103) that
    >>> allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the same LAN.
    >>> Sounds great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and it's $29
    >>> for two
    >>> PCs and
    >>> $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a freeware proggy that does
    >>> similar? I Googled but the only one I found was 'KM' only, no
    >>> video. For Windows platform.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> --
    >>> ~misfit~
    >>>

    >> Hi ~misfit~
    >> Try VNC, http://www.realvnc.com/ or http://www.tightvnc.com/
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Malcolm

    > yep, vnc...good proggy, will do Windows and Linux...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thank you Gentlemen, and you too theseus. Oops, that sounds bad, not
    implying you're not a gentleman. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 21, 2004
  7. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page 103) that
    > allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the same LAN. Sounds
    > great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and it's $29 for two PCs and
    > $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a freeware proggy that does
    > similar? I Googled but the only one I found was 'KM' only, no video. For
    > Windows platform.

    VNC?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 21, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page
    >> 103) that allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the
    >> same LAN. Sounds great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and
    >> it's $29 for two PCs and $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a
    >> freeware proggy that does similar? I Googled but the only one I
    >> found was 'KM' only, no video. For Windows platform.

    > VNC?

    So it would seem. I'm gonna give it a try later. D'oh! Only just noticed the
    typo in the subject.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 21, 2004
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>VNC?

    > So it would seem. I'm gonna give it a try later. D'oh! Only just noticed the
    > typo in the subject.

    sorry, only checking posts since yesterday afternoon... I don't(quite)
    live on here you know.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 21, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:21:34 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I read about a proggy called Kavoom in the latest PC World (page
    >>> 103) that allows you to controll headless units from one PC on the
    >>> same LAN. Sounds great, unfortunately I don't have a Credit card and
    >>> it's $29 for two PCs and $10 each for further PCs. Anyone know of a
    >>> freeware proggy that does similar? I Googled but the only one I
    >>> found was 'KM' only, no video. For Windows platform.

    >> VNC?

    >So it would seem. I'm gonna give it a try later. D'oh! Only just noticed the
    >typo in the subject.

    If you're checking out VNC you might want to look at UltraVNC. It's quite
    fast as it has it's own video driver to hurry things along. Apparently good
    security too. It's Windows only, you can connect from other platforms with
    other VNCs but you lose the optimisation features.

    I've been trying it out lately and it's very nice to use. It has file and
    folder transfer and a chat window.
    I prefer it to PC Anywhere for both ease of use and setting up.

    www.ultravnc.com

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Aug 21, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:21:34 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> VNC?

    >> So it would seem. I'm gonna give it a try later. D'oh! Only just
    >> noticed the typo in the subject.

    > If you're checking out VNC you might want to look at UltraVNC. It's
    > quite fast as it has it's own video driver to hurry things along.
    > Apparently good security too. It's Windows only, you can connect from
    > other platforms with other VNCs but you lose the optimisation
    > features.
    >
    > I've been trying it out lately and it's very nice to use. It has file
    > and folder transfer and a chat window.
    > I prefer it to PC Anywhere for both ease of use and setting up.
    >
    > www.ultravnc.com

    Hi Ray,

    I might give that a try, I'm using VNC 4.0 and, while it's a good way to run
    more machines than I have monitors, it's quite slow to refresh the screen
    etc. Bit of a PITA. If this works out it looks like I'm gonna have to buy a
    switch with more ports. :)

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 21, 2004
  12. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I might give that a try, I'm using VNC 4.0 and, while it's a good way to run
    > more machines than I have monitors, it's quite slow to refresh the screen
    > etc. Bit of a PITA. If this works out it looks like I'm gonna have to buy a
    > switch with more ports. :)

    if you use Ultra VNC there are a few settings that you can change in there.

    for a start, on the server, enable "polling of active window" and it
    improves a heap.

    on the client, use less than full colour, try 8bit colour for a nice
    speed boost.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 21, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I might give that a try, I'm using VNC 4.0 and, while it's a good
    >> way to run more machines than I have monitors, it's quite slow to
    >> refresh the screen etc. Bit of a PITA. If this works out it looks
    >> like I'm gonna have to buy a switch with more ports. :)

    > if you use Ultra VNC there are a few settings that you can change in
    > there.
    >
    > for a start, on the server, enable "polling of active window" and it
    > improves a heap.
    >
    > on the client, use less than full colour, try 8bit colour for a nice
    > speed boost.

    Thanks for the tips Dave.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:01:28 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Ray,
    >
    >I might give that a try, I'm using VNC 4.0 and, while it's a good way to run
    >more machines than I have monitors, it's quite slow to refresh the screen
    >etc. Bit of a PITA. If this works out it looks like I'm gonna have to buy a
    >switch with more ports. :)

    Yeah, software is never as good as an actual switch.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Aug 22, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    ufo Guest

    Brrrrrrrrrrrrr ......... here two situations a software solution beats
    hardware:
    1/ When master PC located on another floor over 20 meters from the client
    PCs - show me a switch with cables more than 3 mt lengths.
    2/ When there are different graphics cards are used in the PCs, from
    experience if one PC contains a Voodoo card and the other a Geforce hardware
    card it doesn't work.

    I switched from hardware to software and have had no problems with Kavoom's
    solution.

    ufo, Aug 24, 2004
  16. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:27:16 +1200, "ufo" <> wrote:

    >Brrrrrrrrrrrrr ......... here two situations a software solution beats
    >hardware:
    >1/ When master PC located on another floor over 20 meters from the client
    >PCs - show me a switch with cables more than 3 mt lengths.
    >2/ When there are different graphics cards are used in the PCs, from
    >experience if one PC contains a Voodoo card and the other a Geforce hardware
    >card it doesn't work.
    >
    >I switched from hardware to software and have had no problems with Kavoom's
    >solution.

    OK I stand corrected :)

    You're right about having a long distance between machines. I've seen
    standard KVM cables 10m long but for enough $$$ you can get an
    ethernet KVM that will operate over the whole length of your network.

    One of the machines I VNC to is about 20m from my desk (yeah I could
    just walk but where's the fun in that?), another 6 are about 40km
    away. I love not having to make a one hour round trip just to do a 5
    minute job.

    I've never seen that problem with the different video cards, but then
    I've never used a Geforce or a Voodoo on a switch. Did you experience
    the problem with different brands of KVM?

    Ray greene..

    Ray Greene, Aug 24, 2004