Sorting historical photographs.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Jason, Feb 3, 2013.

  1. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    Evidently WWII German & Russian soldiers were avid
    snapshooters, and many of their rolls of film have
    been coming available for about 20 years as the
    shooters have died off, and their descendants
    clear out their chattels.

    Many of these and similar ones are available on
    the net; especially these, and few are annotated.
    http://ohsoromanov.tumblr.com/archive
    http://verdwijn.tumblr.com/archive
    http://schrumpfgermane.tumblr.com/archive/2012/10
    http://faith-and-fatherland.tumblr.com/archive/2010/9
    http://ausschreitungen.tumblr.com/archive
    http://fuckyeahhistorycrushes.tumblr.com/archive
    etc etc.

    With a view to collecting these and sorting them
    into sets I ask:

    1/ Can such photos be characterized by some camera
    or lens (ie aberration) fingerprint, by accurate
    aspect ratio and/or sepia tint?

    1/ Do cameras of the old sort have any signature
    that applies to their photos?

    Peter

    Peter Jason, Feb 3, 2013

  2. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:13:20 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-02-02 17:13:48 -0800, Peter Jason <> said:
    >
    >> Evidently WWII German & Russian soldiers were avid
    >> snapshooters, and many of their rolls of film have
    >> been coming available for about 20 years as the
    >> shooters have died off, and their descendants
    >> clear out their chattels.
    >>
    >> Many of these and similar ones are available on
    >> the net; especially these, and few are annotated.

    >First these are all obviously Tumblr sites and have that limitation.
    >Then these seem to be collected images lifted from elsewhere given that
    >they don't seem to be limited to WWII Russian & German soldiers'
    >snapshots.

    True, but this is the essence of collecting;
    separating the gold from the dross.

    >> http://ohsoromanov.tumblr.com/archive

    >That looks like a tumblr site owner who is fascinated with the Romanov
    >family with one or two odd inserts.

    Yes.

    >> http://verdwijn.tumblr.com/archive

    >The first thing I read, was the owner of this T-site was longer going
    >to maintain his blog as he has become bored with it. That said, there
    >are some interesting WWII shot with some more recent stuff interspersed
    >along with a fair amount of flag waiving "Red" propaganda images.

    True, but then the few relevant ones may have
    links to others.

    >> http://schrumpfgermane.tumblr.com/archive/2012/10

    >Another eclectic bunch from WWI, WWII, Vietnam, some dated pin ups, a
    >shot of a 1970's vintage Steve Jobs with a then new Mac, and a Duran
    >Duran album cover.

    Ditto.

    >> http://faith-and-fatherland.tumblr.com/archive/2010/9

    >Here we have nazis with family shots an a few well known Vietnam War images.

    Ditto.

    >> http://ausschreitungen.tumblr.com/archive

    >This one had some interesting stuff which seems to be the work of an
    >official photographer, but then there is out of context stuff added in,
    >contemporary US Army insignia, and a female member of the US Army
    >taking a shot with an iPhone.

    Quite.

    >> http://fuckyeahhistorycrushes.tumblr.com/archive
    >> etc etc.

    >Another bunch which didn't come out of a shoe box in the attic. Let's
    >see, Lorenzo De Medici, Einstein, Lena Horne, Danny Kaye, John Wilkes
    >Booth, Sara Bernhardt, Edmund Hillary, Rasputin, the "Red Baron",
    >Admiral Nelson, Charlton Heston, Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, etc.

    Some sites are better than others.
    Here's one more.
    Remember the links may refer to more relevant
    ones.
    http://opacasilentianoctis.tumblr.com/archive/2011/9

    >> With a view to collecting these and sorting them
    >> into sets I ask:
    >>
    >> 1/ Can such photos be characterized by some camera
    >> or lens (ie aberration) fingerprint, by accurate
    >> aspect ratio and/or sepia tint?

    >No. You have such an eclectic mix you could create your own system, but
    >I believe you would be spinning your wheels.
    >
    >> 1/ Do cameras of the old sort have any signature
    >> that applies to their photos?

    >No, but there are many images there which have style signatures which
    >are very traceable to some famous photographers.

    This one from Germany offers some limited hope
    because it sorts by color cast and even contrast.
    Pretty uneven, though.
    (Dump the thumbnails, sort them with the above,
    then download the suitable ones.)
    http://www.pixolution.de/index.php?id=18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL7XbRKRBqY

    >What a more interesting question would be is, why would you go to the
    >effort to collect these and produce nothing more than the creators of
    >those tumblr have?

    I'm a manic collector. Have you ever collected
    anything?

    Peter Jason, Feb 3, 2013