    order?

    The "help" doesn't help.

    I'm running an XP home edition four months old.
    A Friend, Mar 20, 2006

  2. A Friend

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    A Friend wrote:

    > How do I make the favourites list in my IE sort into alphabetical
    > order?
    >
    > The "help" doesn't help.
    >
    > I'm running an XP home edition four months old.

    Are you saying "right-click" - "sort by name" doesn't work?
    Mackin_NZ, Mar 20, 2006

  3. A Friend

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mackin_NZ wrote:
    > A Friend wrote:
    >
    >> How do I make the favourites list in my IE sort into alphabetical
    >> order?
    >>
    >> The "help" doesn't help.
    >>
    >> I'm running an XP home edition four months old.

    > Are you saying "right-click" - "sort by name" doesn't work?

    Heh, sarcasm at the expense of someone looking for help won't get you many
    thanks.

    As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
    the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.

    However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you give
    Firefox a try. It's not hard to get used to at all and is infinitely safer
    to use on-line than IE, and light-years ahead feature-wise.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2006
  4. A Friend

    A Friend Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
    > the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.

    I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

    Thank you for that.
    A Friend, Mar 20, 2006
  5. A Friend

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A Friend wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then
    >> anywhere on the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort
    >> by name'.

    > I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

    It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC magazine. I
    didn't know that it wasn't in the help.

    > Thank you for that.

    No problem.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2006
  6. In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >A Friend wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then
    >>> anywhere on the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort
    >>> by name'.

    >> I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

    >It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC magazine. I
    >didn't know that it wasn't in the help.
    >
    >> Thank you for that.

    >No problem.

    My thanks likewise. I have always wondered why you had to drag the things
    into alphbetical order manually (doh !) and why it didn't simply sort them
    like files. <sigh>

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 21, 2006
  7. A Friend

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> A Friend wrote:

    >>> I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

    >> It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC
    >> magazine. I didn't know that it wasn't in the help.
    >>
    >>> Thank you for that.

    >> No problem.

    > My thanks likewise. I have always wondered why you had to drag the
    > things
    > into alphbetical order manually (doh !) and why it didn't simply sort
    > them
    > like files. <sigh>

    Pleased to be of help Bruce.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2006
  8. A Friend

    Dave Taylor Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in

    > why it didn't simply sort them
    > like files. <sigh>

    ah, but they are files and folders 8)
    They just are a little trickier due to windows putting special attributes
    on them so they behave differently in explorer.exe ( or is it in the
    registry) I forget anyways they are handled differently. google will have
    some info for you.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 21, 2006
  9. A Friend

    A Friend Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
    > the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.

    YIPPEE!!!

    I just did that (back home now) and it did what I wanted.

    Thanks again.

    > However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you give
    > Firefox a try.

    Yes I have it on a disk that came with PC World. I'll get round to
    it...
    A Friend, Mar 21, 2006
  10. A Friend

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A Friend wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then
    >> anywhere on the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort
    >> by name'.

    > YIPPEE!!!
    >
    > I just did that (back home now) and it did what I wanted.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Cool, np problem.

    >> However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you
    >> give Firefox a try.

    > Yes I have it on a disk that came with PC World. I'll get round to
    > it...

    I don't think you'll ever go back to IE if you try Firefox. I'm a bit
    apathetic when it comes to changing software, I tend to stick with what's
    familiar. However, I liked Firefox instantly and, after a couple days
    wouldn't go back if you paid me. (And I'm broke! <g>). I really like the
    middle-click and open link in new tab, excellent stuff.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2006
  11. A Friend

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Mackin_NZ wrote:
    >> A Friend wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I make the favourites list in my IE sort into alphabetical
    >>> order?
    >>>
    >>> The "help" doesn't help.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running an XP home edition four months old.

    >> Are you saying "right-click" - "sort by name" doesn't work?

    > Heh, sarcasm at the expense of someone looking for help won't get you many
    > thanks.
    >
    > As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
    > the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.
    >
    > However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you give
    > Firefox a try. It's not hard to get used to at all and is infinitely safer
    > to use on-line than IE, and light-years ahead feature-wise.

    And it doesn't spell 'favourites' wrong (get the en-GB version)

    David, Mar 21, 2006
  12. A Friend

    Robert Cooze Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC
    >>> magazine. I didn't know that it wasn't in the help.

    >>> No problem.

    >> My thanks likewise. I have always wondered why you had to drag the
    >> things
    >> into alphbetical order manually (doh !) and why it didn't simply sort
    >> them
    >> like files. <sigh>

    > Pleased to be of help Bruce.

    Even FireFox has the sort (list) by name .... never knew that :)

    Robert Cooze, Mar 21, 2006
  13. In article <Xns978DB960C8839daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in
    >
    >> why it didn't simply sort them
    >> like files. <sigh>

    >ah, but they are files and folders 8)
    >They just are a little trickier due to windows putting special attributes
    >on them so they behave differently in explorer.exe ( or is it in the
    >registry) I forget anyways they are handled differently. google will have
    >some info for you.

    It still makes no sense to handle similar things in different ways. To me
    anyway. :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 22, 2006
  14. A Friend

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> My thanks likewise. I have always wondered why you had to drag the
    >>> things
    >>> into alphbetical order manually (doh !) and why it didn't simply
    >>> sort them
    >>> like files. <sigh>

    >> Pleased to be of help Bruce.

    > Even FireFox has the sort (list) by name .... never knew that :)

    Heh. I found that pretty quickly. Like I said, changing over to Firefox is
    so easy it's silly not to these days with the majority of malware targeting
    IE.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 22, 2006
  15. A Friend

    Matty F Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I don't think you'll ever go back to IE if you try Firefox. I'm a bit
    > apathetic when it comes to changing software, I tend to stick with what's
    > familiar. However, I liked Firefox instantly and, after a couple days
    > wouldn't go back if you paid me. (And I'm broke! <g>).

    I've been using Mozilla for a long time, and decided to upgrade
    to Firefox. Both Firefox and IE regularly have 20 to 30 second
    delays where nothing happens. I've been to the Firefox feedback
    site and got no help there. There also seem to be a huge number
    of other Firefox bugs. So I have uninstalled Firefox. Maybe I'll
    have another look in a year or two.
    Mozilla was, and still is great. Why do people stuff up a good
    product?
    Matty F, Mar 22, 2006