    playback has a repetitive popping sound. Reboot doesn't have any
    effect.

    Anyone else tried these freebie downloads?
    Doc, Mar 22, 2011

  2. Doc

    Paul Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > Got new DDR2 ram and found there was a freebie movie download.
    > Requires you to install Silverlight and some proprietary media player
    > that apparently was purpose designed to play these freebie downloads.
    >
    > The download is a DRM .wmv file. After the over 1 gig file download,
    > playback has a repetitive popping sound. Reboot doesn't have any
    > effect.
    >
    > Anyone else tried these freebie downloads?

    But isn't this the recipe, for how someone tricks you
    into installing malware ?

    If someone wants to "give you a movie", they could do it
    with Adobe Flash, or even some native Windows format. Why
    go to the all the trouble of getting you to download a
    "proprietary media player" ? This sounds like a trick to me.

    How was the information given to you ? On a PHY page ?
    There have been cases, where manufacturer web sites have been
    hacked.

    That's the nice thing about the Internet, it's like
    one giant "dark alley", with muggers everywhere :)

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 22, 2011

  3. Doc

    John Doe Guest

    Paul <nospam needed.com> wrote:

    > Doc wrote:

    >> Got new DDR2 ram and found there was a freebie movie download.
    >> Requires you to install Silverlight and some proprietary media
    >> player that apparently was purpose designed to play these
    >> freebie downloads.
    >>
    >> The download is a DRM .wmv file. After the over 1 gig file
    >> download, playback has a repetitive popping sound. Reboot
    >> doesn't have any effect.
    >>
    >> Anyone else tried these freebie downloads?

    > But isn't this the recipe, for how someone tricks you into
    > installing malware ?
    >
    > If someone wants to "give you a movie", they could do it with
    > Adobe Flash, or even some native Windows format. Why go to the
    > all the trouble of getting you to download a "proprietary media
    > player" ? This sounds like a trick to me.

    Agreed, it might be bait. The enabler (player/whatever) thing is
    the most common type of malware I have seen. You realize it after
    the malware installs, obviously when there is no movie/whatever.
    Then it is time to restore Windows. Allowing a program to install
    is the most risky operation.

    John Doe, Mar 23, 2011
  4. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Mar 22, 5:02 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    > If someone wants to "give you a movie", they could do it
    > with Adobe Flash, or even some native Windows format. Why
    > go to the all the trouble of getting you to download a
    > "proprietary media player" ? This sounds like a trick to me.
    >
    > How was the information given to you ? On a PHY page ?
    > There have been cases, where manufacturer web sites have been
    > hacked.

    It's on the packaging for the RAM along with the validation code.

    The referenced site is www.pny.com/movies
    Doc, Mar 23, 2011
  5. Doc

    david Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:22:04 -0700, Doc rearranged some electrons to say:

    > Got new DDR2 ram and found there was a freebie movie download. Requires
    > you to install Silverlight and some proprietary media player that
    > apparently was purpose designed to play these freebie downloads.
    >
    > The download is a DRM .wmv file. After the over 1 gig file download,
    > playback has a repetitive popping sound. Reboot doesn't have any effect.
    >
    > Anyone else tried these freebie downloads?

    Would this be the same computer that "simply stopped"?
    david, Mar 23, 2011
  6. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Mar 22, 8:59 pm, david <> wrote:

    > Would this be the same computer that "simply stopped"?

    It is. However, it seems like a bit of a stretch that a major hardware
    manufacturer would be distributing malware doesn't it?
    Doc, Mar 23, 2011
  7. Doc

    Paul Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 5:02 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> If someone wants to "give you a movie", they could do it
    >> with Adobe Flash, or even some native Windows format. Why
    >> go to the all the trouble of getting you to download a
    >> "proprietary media player" ? This sounds like a trick to me.
    >>
    >> How was the information given to you ? On a PHY page ?
    >> There have been cases, where manufacturer web sites have been
    >> hacked.

    > It's on the packaging for the RAM along with the validation code.
    >
    > The referenced site is www.pny.com/movies

    The movies aren't hosted on their site. So the next question is,
    who are these people, and do they have rights to the movie ?

    http://www1.movie-promo.com/PNY-US

    http://www1.movie-promo.com/PNY-US/Movie/181/Close-Encounters-Of-The-Third-Kind

    OK, and the one download mentioned on movie-promo, is for PNY. So
    there is more DRM involved.

    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/movie-promo.com

    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/movie-promo.com/downloads/34720707/

    SiteAdvisor claims this is the download. 618,181 bytes.
    MD5SUM 2a26be9300f06941cc1f0cc452bfdcfc.

    http://www1.movie-promo.com/ClientBin/PNYMoviePlayerUS.xap

    PNYMoviePlayerUS.xap

    ADD c:\temp\unzip\AppManifest.xaml
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Microsoft.CSharp.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\SilverlightAppUS.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\System.Windows.Controls.Data.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\System.Windows.Controls.Data.Input.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\System.Windows.Controls.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\System.Windows.Data.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\System.Xml.Linq.dll
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\Delete-Icon.png
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\Play-Icon.png
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\pny-128.png
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\pny-16.png
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\pny-32.png
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\pny-48.png
    ADD c:\temp\unzip\Images\PNY-Banner.png

    The download scans clean (which isn't an endorsement, just a simple first check).

    http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan...d47f0af31f01f522a87aa62a541999b3bb-1300842112

    The TermsAndConditions on the movie-promo site, mention Sony Entertainment.

    This is the site providing the DRM technology.

    http://www.eagleeyetechnology.com/

    *****************************

    Does the movie play in WMP ?

    Does the movie only play in your browser ?

    If the movie is dropped onto this, what CODECs does the movie use ?

    (This is GSPOT, an application that uses DirectShow, to try to
    play a movie, and in the process, get the names of the codecs used
    for audio and video.)

    http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

    There probably aren't any alternative ways of playing your movie, but
    you can try anyway and see what that application says. If the movie
    plays in Windows Media Player, you may get codec info from GSPOT.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 23, 2011
  8. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Mar 22, 9:47 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    > Does the movie play in WMP ?

    No, will only play on the dowloaded player.

    > Does the movie only play in your browser ?

    Browser isn't involved at all, the player is a stand alone app.

    To be honest, from what I could see of the quality of the video, it's
    not that great. Very compromised contrast levels for one thing, a lot
    of pixelation in the dark areas. I guess a gig isn't huge for a 90
    minute or so movie but I have a movie on CD that I think was done with
    DVD shrink or something similar that looks fantastic.
    Doc, Mar 23, 2011
  9. On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:07:48 -0700 (PDT), Doc <>
    wrote:

    >On Mar 22, 8:59 pm, david <> wrote:
    >
    >> Would this be the same computer that "simply stopped"?

    >It is. However, it seems like a bit of a stretch that a major hardware
    >manufacturer would be distributing malware doesn't it?

    Some of the DRM schemes come close to being malware. Remember the
    rootkit fiasco?
    Loren Pechtel, Mar 23, 2011
  10. On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:22:04 -0700 (PDT), Doc <>
    wrote:

    >Got new DDR2 ram and found there was a freebie movie download.
    >Requires you to install Silverlight and some proprietary media player
    >that apparently was purpose designed to play these freebie downloads.
    >
    >The download is a DRM .wmv file. After the over 1 gig file download,
    >playback has a repetitive popping sound. Reboot doesn't have any
    >effect.
    >
    >Anyone else tried these freebie downloads?

    Anything that requires a proprietary media player is *HIGHLY* suspect.
    That's usually a vector for malware.
    Loren Pechtel, Mar 23, 2011
  11. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:48 am, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:

    > Anything that requires a proprietary media player is *HIGHLY* suspect.

    Somewhat ironic that they're going to all this trouble to protect the
    particular titles they've offered - most of them got pretty bad
    reviews and are likely to be found at the thrift store video bin and
    further the quality of the download is pretty marginal.
    Doc, Mar 23, 2011
  12. Doc

    Paul Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 9:48 am, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    >
    >> Anything that requires a proprietary media player is *HIGHLY* suspect.

    > Somewhat ironic that they're going to all this trouble to protect the
    > particular titles they've offered - most of them got pretty bad
    > reviews and are likely to be found at the thrift store video bin and
    > further the quality of the download is pretty marginal.

    That could be why they only offer you one title. After you've
    downloaded it, you don't want a second :)

    Once the word gets out, you may be the only person to have
    downloaded a movie from them :)

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 24, 2011