Sort of interesting....

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by David R. Norton MVP, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. David R. Norton MVP, Jun 6, 2005

  2. The PC manufacturers such as HP and Dell are not offering XP Professional
    x64 with there consumer desktops, its either on their workstations or
    business desktops.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005

  3. David R. Norton MVP

    John Barnes Guest

    I can understand. Unless you are a full time gamer or have video editing to
    do it adds nothing.
    On the other side, most people who need a new computer and already have an
    investment in hardware and software they want to bring
    forward, will probably be unhappy with x64 and therefore HP. Anyone who
    wants to can exchange, and then they have no one to blame but themselves.

    I installed XP on the day it was released to the public and my last driver
    or program update was a month later.

    This time they know there is a TINY installed base and probably will remain
    that way, so they, like Microsoft have their staffs modifying for Longhorn
    and will release early anything that might also help this system. Except
    for games, no vendor is much interested in writing for such a small group of
    home users (like Apple or Linnux)

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2005
  4. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:

    > The PC manufacturers such as HP and Dell are not offering XP Professional
    > x64 with there consumer desktops, its either on their workstations or
    > business desktops.

    That's not the question, the question is "Why?"

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 6, 2005
  5. David R. Norton MVP wrote:
    > I saw this Sam's Club ad and noticed the supplied OS is Windows XP Home with
    > SP-2.
    >
    > http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-
    > 23589%3a-43881%3a-43904%3a-43916%3a-
    > 43919%3a920366&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0693966249.1118085752_CS_&BV_EngineID=c
    > cdeaddekjdfffhcfkfcfkjdgoodfkf.0&pid=_6-7-05_athlon
    >
    > Or: http://tinyurl.com/bnaok
    >
    > HP apparently isn't offering X64 on at least some of their 64 bit computers,
    > I wonder why?

    My guess is that HP doesn't want to support the OS with their
    inexpensive computers because they are not making any money to speak of
    on them. And with Windows XP x64, they are the OEM dealer and HAVE to
    support it on the systems they sell.

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 6, 2005
  6. Because of the targetted audience and work flow, in technical environments
    who demand the highest levels of performance and scalability for Digital
    Content Creation, Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for Financial &
    Data Analysis.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005
  7. I agree with Wayne. Imagine the support nightmare it would cause. They're all
    gonna wait and see what happens. Once there are enough drivers and updates,
    they'll probably make the move. Personally, I just decided that I will wait a
    while, instead up sending in my CD to the exchange program.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    =?Utf-8?B?dWdnYWJ1Z2dh?=, Jun 6, 2005
  8. Wayne Wastier <> wrote in:

    > David R. Norton MVP wrote:

    >> HP apparently isn't offering X64 on at least some of their 64 bit
    >> computers, I wonder why?
    >>

    > My guess is that HP doesn't want to support the OS with their
    > inexpensive computers because they are not making any money to speak of
    > on them. And with Windows XP x64, they are the OEM dealer and HAVE to
    > support it on the systems they sell.

    Everyone misses the point.

    First, HP has to support the OS on EVERY system they sell as whatever system
    they install is OEM. Their support for X64 would be no different than it is
    for XP, just run the caller through voice mail for an hour, then put
    him/her/it on hold for an hour, then tell him/her/it they reached the wrong
    department but... "I'll transfer you" and then hang up.

    Here's the point: I want drivers.

    Now just suppose HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Sony, Emachines and IBM decide to
    sell X64 pre-installed and they go to Canon, Epson, Logitech, Symantec, etc.
    and say, "We want to bundle your product with our computer, we'll need
    several hundred of your product for X64 in a week."

    Wanna bet 64 bit drivers and software would appear in about 3.2 minutes?

    I can't get anyone to write 64 bit drivers and neither can everyone else here
    because they think "the person asking already owns our hardware/software so
    where's the money?" but HP/Compaq can, Dell can, Gateway can, etc. We're
    talking substantial sales for hardware/software vendors if the big PC makers
    would throw their weight into X64.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 6, 2005
  9. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:

    > Because of the targetted audience and work flow, in technical environments
    > who demand the highest levels of performance and scalability for Digital
    > Content Creation, Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for Financial &
    > Data Analysis.

    Bzzzzzzt... wrong answer. See my reply to Wayne.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 6, 2005
  10. I still say its the targetted audience and adoption rate. The PC
    manufacturers knows who is buying their computers and at what adoption rate
    which gives them insight on what priority in terms of driver support they
    should take.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005
  11. Shouldn't be a problem if you can have people in Help and Support that can
    meet your demand. Purchasers of x64 PC's will try to obtain help one way or
    another, either through the OEM, online or newsgroups like this.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005
  12. David R. Norton MVP

    Rick Guest

    Wayne has a valid point, considering the individuals who "attempt" to
    install Win x64 in absolute total ignorance. And by that I mean they
    have absolutely no concept of either the hardware nor the software
    requirements before they start. And after they do start, the have
    absolutely no inkling how to proceed with the OS installation, yet have
    the gal to claim they are "experienced and knowledgeable" computer
    'experts!'

    Rick, Jun 7, 2005
  13. A majority of those persons you described Rick are known as enthusiast and
    they are only looking for performance and a better experience for games.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 7, 2005
  14. I'll go with you, David. It's what happens if you let the marketing people
    run the company. Just because they understand figures, doesn't mean they
    understand the economy in sales - after all, toothpaste doesn't sell like
    machinery.

    Kudos to guts, David.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 7, 2005
  15. David R. Norton MVP

    Guest

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:39:47 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Shouldn't be a problem if you can have people in Help and Support that can
    >meet your demand. Purchasers of x64 PC's will try to obtain help one way or
    >another, either through the OEM, online or newsgroups like this.

    You're assuming that HP customers know the difference between 31bit
    and 64 bit and if they do that they know what an the OEM or a
    Newsgroup even are.

    I think you'll find that your basic Best Buy computer shopper only
    cares about the price and the 800 number to the manufacturers tech
    support.
    , Jun 7, 2005
  16. David R. Norton MVP

    Red Guest

    He shoots from the hip *way* too often.
    If he took the time to really understand the crux of every question, he
    could not possibly break his record number of daily posts.

    Red, Jun 7, 2005
  17. We don't live in a hypothetical world. The answer remains is, how is it
    treating our profit margin. Alliances are only necessary when they see that
    their is some possibility that end user will not frustrated from experience
    with software. Windows XP Professional x64 carries a level of interaction
    with your computer that goes way beyond the software, meaning bombarding
    calls to Help and Support about "How do I install these F6 Drivers?", "Hey,
    I thought you said these F6 Drivers would work?"

    The point remains, you can just request solutions from thirdparty
    manufacturers like that to bundle with your systems, its just not gonna
    happen. You have look at the experience the user is getting from the system
    and also the benefit your company is getting from it, in terms less calls to
    H&S and more demand.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  18. Yeah, they should, anyone who purchased a computer in 2003 with 64 bit
    processor should know they difference. A majority of them were beta testers
    for x64 and they claimed to be on the bleeding edge. Its just recently
    Companies like Dell and HP began to off 64 bit enabled processors in their
    line of products and OS is not bundled with system, its the users choice,
    leaving the decision up to the user again to decide, should I go for the
    company's exchange program for x64 or not or stick with 32 bit Windows when
    they know the adventure they are in for.

    Again, its for the technical enthusiast, people hear 64 bit and Windows and
    say "That must be blast, I'm upgrading when don't even know the upgrade
    paths supported.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  19. Was your post really necessary? Thanks anyway for making me break my record
    once more, you are a true humantarian. I will induct you into the Andre Da
    Costa break my post hall of fame for 2005.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  20. David R. Norton MVP

    Red Guest

    Apparently...yes it was...

    Red, Jun 8, 2005