    --
    Like painted kites, those days and nights, they went flyin' by...
    --

    Wattsville Blues, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Wattsville Blues

    Steve IA Guest

    Wattsville Blues wrote:

    > How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
    > option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
    > actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Like painted kites, those days and nights, they went flyin' by...
    > --

    Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.

    Steve
    southiowa

    Steve IA, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Wattsville Blues

    Reg Mouatt Guest

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:03:51 +0000 (UTC), Wattsville Blues
    <> wrote:

    >How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
    >option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
    >actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >--
    >Like painted kites, those days and nights, they went flyin' by...

    There was a 'Sort Bookmarks' Extension that worked with FF versions
    prior to Version 1.0, which I know doesn't help you but it is not
    compatible with this version - am hoping it gets updated.

    Reg

    Reg Mouatt, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Wattsville Blues

    * Guest

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:51:52 +0000 (UTC), Reg Mouatt
    <> wrote:

    >There was a 'Sort Bookmarks' Extension that worked with FF versions
    >prior to Version 1.0, which I know doesn't help you but it is not
    >compatible with this version - am hoping it gets updated.

    Precisely the reason why Firefox will never be more than a flea in the
    browser market.

    Relying on authors to write extensions and keep them update is sheer
    folly. Especially when many of these things should be an integral part
    of the browser.

    *, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Wattsville Blues

    Ranjit Guest

    Steve IA wrote:
    > Wattsville Blues wrote:
    >
    >>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu?

    > Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.

    I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
    The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
    When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
    unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
    sorted atall!!
    Any clues?

    Ranjit, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Wattsville Blues

    Charles Guest

    >>There was a 'Sort Bookmarks' Extension that worked with FF versions
    >>prior to Version 1.0, which I know doesn't help you but it is not
    >>compatible with this version - am hoping it gets updated.

    > Precisely the reason why Firefox will never be more than a flea in the
    > browser market.
    >
    > Relying on authors to write extensions and keep them update is sheer
    > folly. Especially when many of these things should be an integral part
    > of the browser.

    Agreed.

    ---

    Charles, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Wattsville Blues

    Steve IA Guest

    Ranjit wrote:

    > Steve IA wrote:
    > > Wattsville Blues wrote:
    > >
    > >>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu?

    > > Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.
    > >

    > I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
    > The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
    > When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
    > unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
    > sorted atall!!
    > Any clues?

    Mine work on the main FF window as well as the manage window. It can be
    done. Except for the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder (which I drag-drop where
    needed) all my bookmarks are stored in the From Internet Explorer
    folder. Maybe that's the difference. Mine, in all places, are
    numeric/alpha order with subfolders listed first then individual marks.
    I'll keep looking to figure out how I did it.

    Steve
    southiowa

    Steve IA, Oct 7, 2004
  8. Wattsville Blues

    Steve IA Guest

    Steve IA wrote:

    > Ranjit wrote:
    > >
    > > Steve IA wrote:

    > > > Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.
    > > >

    > > I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
    > > The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
    > > When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
    > > unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
    > > sorted atall!!
    > > Any clues?

    > Mine work on the main FF window as well as the manage window. It can be
    > done. Except for the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder (which I drag-drop where
    > needed) all my bookmarks are stored in the From Internet Explorer
    > folder. Maybe that's the difference. Mine, in all places, are
    > numeric/alpha order with subfolders listed first then individual marks.
    > I'll keep looking to figure out how I did it.
    >
    > Steve
    > southiowa

    Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
    Folder. This will sort as stated above.

    Steve
    southiowa

    Steve IA, Oct 7, 2004
  9. Wattsville Blues

    Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:50:41 -0500, Steve IA <>
    wrote:

    >Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
    >Folder. This will sort as stated above.

    I have no problem sorting the bookmarks within a folder. What I'd
    like to know is how to sort the folders. I have a lot and it takes
    unnecessary time to find them all jumbled up.

    Ben

    , Oct 7, 2004
  10. Wattsville Blues

    Reg Mouatt Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:18:36 GMT, wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:50:41 -0500, Steve IA <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
    >>Folder. This will sort as stated above.

    >I have no problem sorting the bookmarks within a folder. What I'd
    >like to know is how to sort the folders. I have a lot and it takes
    >unnecessary time to find them all jumbled up.
    >
    >Ben

    I have been trying to trace where FF stores the bookmarks. Have
    located
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.36d
    where bookmarks.bak is kept and have tried cutting and pasting into
    alphabetical order there but, although saved, this new created edition
    reverts back. Someone with more knowledge than I will hopefully know
    what I am not doing right and it's a long winded way of trying to
    achieve something simple but such is life!!

    Reg

    Reg Mouatt, Oct 7, 2004
  11. Wattsville Blues

    Ranjit Guest

    Steve IA wrote:
    > Steve IA wrote:
    >
    >>Ranjit wrote:

    >>>I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
    >>>The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
    >>>When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
    >>>unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
    >>>sorted atall!!
    >>>Any clues?

    >>Mine work on the main FF window as well as the manage window. It can be
    >>done. Except for the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder (which I drag-drop where
    >>needed) all my bookmarks are stored in the From Internet Explorer
    >>folder. Maybe that's the difference. Mine, in all places, are
    >>numeric/alpha order with subfolders listed first then individual marks.
    >>I'll keep looking to figure out how I did it.
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>southiowa

    > Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
    > Folder. This will sort as stated above.

    Steve, thanx for the info.
    But as Ben pointed out, the main problem is with the bookmark
    directories (folders) on the root level. Since the **bookmark* directory
    doesn't show up on the right pane, there is no way one can right click
    it to sort the contents of the root folder.

    It's really strange that bookmarks within a dir can be sorted but not on
    the root level.

    Ranjit, Oct 9, 2004
  12. Wattsville Blues

    Galen Guest

    <> wrote:

    >How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
    >option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
    >actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.

    Add the extension at the following URL (the updated version).

    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=102

    Regards

    Bob

    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

    Galen, Oct 10, 2004
  13. Wattsville Blues

    Reg Mouatt Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:36:07 +0100, Galen <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:03:51 +0000 (UTC), Wattsville Blues
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
    >>option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
    >>actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.

    >Add the extension at the following URL (the updated version).
    >
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=102
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Bob
    >
    >Remove "x" from address to reply by email

    Thanks for that Bob,
    I found that you need to click on both 'Install' buttons, the upper
    one first, below 'This extension sorts etc.' and then grant permission
    for FF to download from that site and then the lower for the actual
    installation

    Reg

    Reg Mouatt, Oct 10, 2004