    How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Oct 17, 2004

  2. geopelia

    ~Joanne420~ Guest

    Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent" and
    not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
    ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am! :)

    ~Joanne420~, Oct 17, 2004

  3. ~Joanne420~ wrote:
    > Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent" and
    > not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
    > ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am! :)
    >
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > | In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in View
    > | are not working. This happened today.
    > |
    > | How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.
    > |
    > | Thank you
    > |
    > | Geopelia

    what is your client?
    g-
    Gideon Stargrave, Oct 18, 2004
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "~Joanne420~" <> wrote in message
    > Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent" and
    > not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
    > ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am! :)

    Maybe you have a different program, I have Windows ME.

    I go to View -sort b-Sort ascending (or sort descending)

    There is nothing like subject or from in "sort by".

    Usually this works, suddenly the dates are all mixed up.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004
  5. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >| > |
    >| > |
    >| > |
    >| "~Joanne420~" <> wrote in message
    >| > Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by
    >| > "sent" and not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make
    >| > it seem like ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I
    >| > often am! :)
    >|
    >| Maybe you have a different program, I have Windows ME.
    >|
    >| I go to View -sort b-Sort ascending (or sort descending)
    >|
    >| There is nothing like subject or from in "sort by".
    >|
    >| Usually this works, suddenly the dates are all mixed up.
    >|
    >| Thank you
    >| Geopelia

    Okay - you are using Microsoft Outlook Express version 5.5 somthing or
    other. So you need to look at the column headers in your view window. The
    first header says "Subject", the second says "From" and the third says
    "Sent". Click on the word "Sent". You have just sorted your news group posts
    by date. Now, if it is top to bottom instead of bottom to top, click on it
    again and it reverses itself. Of course, if you want to search by subject,
    click on "Subject", find what you are looking for, then remember to click on
    "Sent" again to put everything back in order. Neat, huh?

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Gideon Stargrave" <> wrote in message
    > ~Joanne420~ wrote:
    > > Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent"

    and
    > > not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
    > > ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am! :)
    > >
    > > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > > | In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in

    View
    > > | are not working. This happened today.
    > > |
    > > | How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.
    > > |
    > > | Thank you
    > > |
    > > | Geopelia
    > > |

    > what is your client?
    > g-

    I'm not sure what client is, do you mean my ISP which is xtra?
    I'm in the newsgroup nz.general, but the problem now is in all my newsgroups
    in news.xtra.co.nz

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >| > |
    > >| > |
    > >| > |

    > >| Maybe you have a different program, I have Windows ME.
    > >|
    > >| I go to View -sort b-Sort ascending (or sort descending)
    > >|
    > >| There is nothing like subject or from in "sort by".
    > >|
    > >| Usually this works, suddenly the dates are all mixed up.
    > >|
    > >| Thank you
    > >| Geopelia
    > >| >

    > Okay - you are using Microsoft Outlook Express version 5.5 somthing or
    > other. So you need to look at the column headers in your view window. The
    > first header says "Subject", the second says "From" and the third says
    > "Sent". Click on the word "Sent". You have just sorted your news group

    posts
    > by date. Now, if it is top to bottom instead of bottom to top, click on it
    > again and it reverses itself. Of course, if you want to search by subject,
    > click on "Subject", find what you are looking for, then remember to click

    on
    > "Sent" again to put everything back in order. Neat, huh?
    >
    > --
    > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    > THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Thank you, so simple if you know how! Your advice to dumb people like me is
    always so helpful.

    Now why, whenever I click the index in "Help", does every subject imaginable
    come up except the very one I am looking for? Don't answer that, rhetorical
    question!

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004
  8. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "Gideon Stargrave" <> wrote in message

    >| > > |
    >| > > |
    >| > > |
    >| > > |
    >| > > |

    >| > what is your client?
    >| > g-
    >|
    >| I'm not sure what client is, do you mean my ISP which is xtra?
    >| I'm in the newsgroup nz.general, but the problem now is in all my
    >| newsgroups in news.xtra.co.nz
    >|
    >| Geopelia

    By "client", he was asking about the program you are using to read your
    newsgroups and email. That, of course, would be Microsoft Outlook Express.
    An older version, to be sure, but it still should be working the same as the
    new one.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004
  9. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| > >| > |
    >| > >| > |
    >| > >| > |
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|

    >| > Okay - you are using Microsoft Outlook Express version 5.5
    >| > somthing or other. So you need to look at the column headers in
    >| > your view window. The first header says "Subject", the second says
    >| > "From" and the third says "Sent". Click on the word "Sent". You
    >| > have just sorted your news group posts by date. Now, if it is top
    >| > to bottom instead of bottom to top, click on it again and it
    >| > reverses itself. Of course, if you want to search by subject,
    >| > click on "Subject", find what you are looking for, then remember
    >| > to click on "Sent" again to put everything back in order. Neat,
    >| > huh?
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
    >| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    >|

    >| Thank you, so simple if you know how! Your advice to dumb people
    >| like me is always so helpful.
    >|
    >| Now why, whenever I click the index in "Help", does every subject
    >| imaginable come up except the very one I am looking for? Don't
    >| answer that, rhetorical question!

    I'm gonna answer that anyway: the same company that wrote the software (with
    all its faults) wrote the help file <grin>!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004
  10. geopelia

    > >| "Gideon Stargrave" <> wrote in message

    > >| > > |
    > >| > > |
    > >| > > |
    > >| > > |
    > >| > > |

    > >| I'm not sure what client is, do you mean my ISP which is xtra?
    > >| I'm in the newsgroup nz.general, but the problem now is in all my
    > >| newsgroups in news.xtra.co.nz
    > >|
    > >| Geopelia

    > By "client", he was asking about the program you are using to read your
    > newsgroups and email. That, of course, would be Microsoft Outlook Express.
    > An older version, to be sure, but it still should be working the same as

    the
    > new one.
    >
    > --
    > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    > THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Thank you, I hadn't heard it called that before. I've got Windows ME, don't
    know whether to get XP but I want to learn all I can on this first. Isn't
    there a Longhorn version supposed to be coming soon too? Money is limited,
    being on a pension.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004
  11. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > > |

    >| > >|
    >| > >|

    >| > By "client", he was asking about the program you are using to read
    >| > your newsgroups and email. That, of course, would be Microsoft
    >| > Outlook Express. An older version, to be sure, but it still should
    >| > be working the same as the new one.
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
    >| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    >| >
    >| Thank you, I hadn't heard it called that before. I've got Windows
    >| ME, don't know whether to get XP but I want to learn all I can on
    >| this first. Isn't there a Longhorn version supposed to be coming
    >| soon too? Money is limited, being on a pension.

    If I remember correctly, the Longhorn project has been significantly delayed
    due to Microsoft pulling programmers off that to work on the recent SP2
    patches. So I wouldn't expect a new version of Windows any time soon.

    Personally (and many would agree with me...) I don't like ME since it is
    prone to problems. But if it is working okay for you, that's fine. Since I
    have a good background on installing Windows, I go to XP if the hardware is
    up to the task. "Most" computers that shipped with Windows ME have hardware
    that is capable of running XP (usually needing to add some memory), but the
    setup (and learning curve) may be more than some users can handle. Plus I
    know where to get a license (no disc though) for $45 to $50. Since I have
    discs, all I need is the license.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004
  12. geopelia

    > >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > > |

    > >| > >|
    > >| > >|

    > >| Thank you, I hadn't heard it called that before. I've got Windows
    > >| ME, don't know whether to get XP but I want to learn all I can on
    > >| this first. Isn't there a Longhorn version supposed to be coming
    > >| soon too? Money is limited, being on a pension.
    > >|

    > If I remember correctly, the Longhorn project has been significantly

    delayed
    > due to Microsoft pulling programmers off that to work on the recent SP2
    > patches. So I wouldn't expect a new version of Windows any time soon.
    >
    > Personally (and many would agree with me...) I don't like ME since it is
    > prone to problems. But if it is working okay for you, that's fine. Since I
    > have a good background on installing Windows, I go to XP if the hardware

    is
    > up to the task. "Most" computers that shipped with Windows ME have

    hardware
    > that is capable of running XP (usually needing to add some memory), but

    the
    > setup (and learning curve) may be more than some users can handle. Plus I
    > know where to get a license (no disc though) for $45 to $50. Since I have
    > discs, all I need is the license.

    I'll have to think about it. A technician will come here and sort anything
    out if I want to install something else, though I did manage to install
    pc-cillin 2004, with a lot of questions to pc-cillin.

    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004
  13. geopelia

    dadiOH Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in
    > View are not working. This happened today.
    >
    > How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.

    Click on the column heading. Click again to reverse it.

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
    dadiOH, Oct 18, 2004
  14. geopelia

    > >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >| > >| > |
    > >| > >| > |
    > >| > >| > |
    > >| > >|
    > >| > >|
    > >| > >|
    > >| > >|
    > >| > >|

    > >| Thank you, so simple if you know how! Your advice to dumb people
    > >| like me is always so helpful.
    > >|
    > >| Now why, whenever I click the index in "Help", does every subject
    > >| imaginable come up except the very one I am looking for? Don't
    > >| answer that, rhetorical question!
    > >|

    > I'm gonna answer that anyway: the same company that wrote the software

    (with
    > all its faults) wrote the help file <grin>!

    I've now got a little "Help File" of my own, from saved answers I have seen
    on this group. Handy in case I get the same problems. I've also got "Windows
    Millennium; the Missing Manual" . I find it useful for the simple stuff
    kids would learn in schools today. Most Help books around seem to be for XP
    now though.

    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004
  15. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >| > >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > >| > > |
    >| > >| > >| > > |

    >| > >| > >|
    >| > >| > >|

    >| > >|

    >| > If I remember correctly, the Longhorn project has been
    >| > significantly delayed due to Microsoft pulling programmers off
    >| > that to work on the recent SP2 patches. So I wouldn't expect a new
    >| > version of Windows any time soon.
    >| >
    >| > Personally (and many would agree with me...) I don't like ME since
    >| > it is prone to problems. But if it is working okay for you, that's
    >| > fine. Since I have a good background on installing Windows, I go
    >| > to XP if the hardware is up to the task. "Most" computers that
    >| > shipped with Windows ME have hardware that is capable of running
    >| > XP (usually needing to add some memory), but the setup (and
    >| > learning curve) may be more than some users can handle. Plus I
    >| > know where to get a license (no disc though) for $45 to $50. Since
    >| > I have discs, all I need is the license.
    >|
    >| I'll have to think about it. A technician will come here and sort
    >| anything out if I want to install something else, though I did
    >| manage to install pc-cillin 2004, with a lot of questions to
    >| pc-cillin.

    Good AV software choice - and doing it yourself should help you understand
    how it works.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004
  16. geopelia

    > >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > >| > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > >| > > |
    > >| > >| > >| > > |

    > >| > >| > >|
    > >| > >| > >|

    > >| > >|

    > >| I'll have to think about it. A technician will come here and sort
    > >| anything out if I want to install something else, though I did
    > >| manage to install pc-cillin 2004, with a lot of questions to
    > >| pc-cillin.
    > >| >

    > Good AV software choice - and doing it yourself should help you understand
    > how it works.

    There are several parts to it, and sometimes it upgrades twice a day or
    more. I check everytime I use the computer.
    Doing a scan takes over two hours though, but no viruses are found, so it
    must be stopping them all.
    Amazing!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 18, 2004